Noisetar synth : Questions? Suggestions? [audio demo notes + news]

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

# Please feel free to ask here questions (or make suggestions)
about the Noisetar synth.

# Some notes about the audio demos you can find at
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/noisetar-by-nusofting

Noisetar is meant mostly to integrate with your synths set
as a specialized synth plugin, but for the sake of demoing it
we made some tracks using ONLY Noisetar.

Noisetar Dupstep
Noisetar Dream

these two use 6 instances of Noisetar each and no effects, except a limiter on the master.

Noistarx By Taron
this use "some" instances of Noisetar and multiband compressor.

Noisetar Presets
this is a simple run through most of the factory presets.
Last edited by liqih on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

I like it a lot. It's an innovation (besides Sinnah)! 8)

Sorry for not having the right questionssuggestions right now.
The preset-management is great and the tooltips are helful.
Tried to play it melodically by the pitched-presets and to learn.
I still don't understand the matrix but I'm willing to do so. But that's not a problem...

One of my favorites so far :tu:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

PS. The Links are not working?
Symphony Nr.1

Glad you like it!
thomekk wrote:I still don't understand the matrix but I'm willing to do so.
Beside the on screen tooltips there is a (short so far) HTML manual that you can open by the Noisetar toolbar.
But please feel free to ask me about any parameter if you need more info.

BTW you may want have a look at the "Tutorial"
category in the factory presets, there are a few so far that introduce the features one by one, I plan to add more of those.

Hello there. I'm not a preset maker and I am guessing this synth was designed to make noises (duh, one might say to me) but at the risk of seeming to be even dumber than that, here's a possibly extra dumb question: if a really capable preset maker tries to create presets of the "not noise" type using Noisetar then would it be extra difficult? I am biased towards traditional sounds like electric bass, electric guitar, drums, Rhodes, classic rock instruments. Is this synth capable of (I would settle for nearly) emulating those classic rock sounds if a really talented preset maker is to give it a go? Or am I expecting too much from a free synth? Come to think of it, maybe even expensive synths can't do it, I really don't know. Oh wait, I just remembered that there are free VST plugins that tries to emulate the electric bass and the electric guitar, etc, and sort of comes close. Never mind, I lost my mind there for a moment. I just like to type long sentences to practice my English and just babble on. Pardon me.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote:Hello there. I'm not a preset maker and I am guessing this synth was designed to make noises (duh, one might say to me)
Hi,

You guessed right, this synth was designed to make noises.
BUT quite a range of different noises.
if a really capable preset maker tries to create presets of the "not noise" type using Noisetar then would it be extra difficult? I am biased towards traditional sounds like electric bass, electric guitar, drums, Rhodes, classic rock instruments. Is this synth capable of (I would settle for nearly) emulating those classic rock sounds if a really talented preset maker is to give it a go? Or am I expecting too much from a free synth?
The issues here are not the skills of the presets maker or the fact that is a free synth, but the fact
that Noisetar is a "specialized" synth. So not it's a general purpose synth like many "2 oscillators + filter" standard synths. Some drums are possible and it has a mode in which it can produce pitched sounds, but limited to something like flutes, whistles, vocal choirs and maybe some interesting bass, not rock though.
You may listen to the audio demos for a quick idea. And if more curious download it and try the 50+ presets.
Never mind, I lost my mind there for a moment. I just like to type long sentences to practice my English and just babble on. Pardon me.
Good for you, I also needed and still need to practice English. So thanks of asking.

Ah yeah, Noisetar is a little beast! Such a fresh take on a vst and so approachable, simply because it's practically unknown territory and "everything goes", so to say. With "regular" synths, it often is just the search for the familiar to which one usually gets quite quickly and if not...it's frustrating. With Noisetar it's totally lighthearted fun to experiment; no expectations, plenty of surprising rewards and a unique touch, though it does still sound familiar, of course. It's flipping noise! :lol: But awesome! :tu:

yeeehaa, some noise.
haven't played around much with the dev challenge plugs until now
but this seems to be another great and unique creation, luigi.
thanks for that.

cheers,
tl.

Hey, thanks for the praises tl and Taron. I hope more people like you will be curious enough to dig into Noisetar.

#1] A new short audio demo I made with other presets,
starts with pitched sounds and ends with lo-fi cymbals!
That's only one instance played live.

#2] Here instead is a 2' track "Master of Nukes" composed by Rafal Rudawski.
Please use this link to stream it:
http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/noiseta ... dawski.mp3
(copyright 2016 Rafal Rudawski )

he wote:
Plugin/synth is amazing if You know what to do with it. I started to create some patches.

DEMO:
Demo was composed using 4 instances of NOISETAR under Cubase 8.5 DAW, without any additional FX (!!!) - only pure NOISETAR instances.

#2] Here instead is a 2' track "Master of Nukes" composed by Rafal Rudawski.
Please use this link to stream it:
http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/noiseta ... dawski.mp3
(copyright 2016 Rafal Rudawski )
That's great!
Noisetar is one of my top favorites for sure 8)

Some memories come to Chimera (Also a great unsual noise-synth like yours. No idea if your synth and the one by Majken used similar methods. Maybe the thing that noise can be played via pitch)
Symphony Nr.1

Hello :)

Noisetar is certainly a great favourite of mine. For long I have wanted something like this.
Of course, some normal synths include a noise generator (usually white noise, sometimes brown, in some cases a filter or tone knob is provided). But that is about it. You do have the normal filters, envelope and LFOs, but that cannot really change the texture of the noise. - Which is where Noisetar comes in and does such a great job.

Practical uses include using it to create synth percussion (or to add as an extra layer to existing percussion sounds) and also to create 'noise' (the type of noise you would get from tape, vinyl, etc).

A quick play around with it showed me already it can do much more !
Definitely a synth that I will keep in my preferred tools going forward.

I encountered a slight glitch, though: Could not record presets.
I was running Ableton Live 9 on Windows 10, 32 bit. When tried to save a preset got a window with a message "failed to copy preset [preset name]" There is a count down number and when it reaches 0 the window disappears.
I checked and, in fact, no file was saved.
Tried several times. Re-started Live. Re-started the computer, but still no luck.

If I am doing something wrong and you can offer guidance, great.
If it is a bug, maybe you can look into it.

In any case, thanks for a great synth. I am happy to use it as it is, even if I cannot save presets.

AlienXXX wrote:I encountered a slight glitch, though: Could not record presets.
I was running Ableton Live 9 on Windows 10, 32 bit. When tried to save a preset got a window with a message "failed to copy preset [preset name]" There is a count down number and when it reaches 0 the window disappears.
I checked and, in fact, no file was saved.
Tried several times. Re-started Live. Re-started the computer, but still no luck.
Thanks for the positive feedback and sorry to hear you are having problems saving presets. I guess the first thing to try is to open up the Noisetar GUI, click on the options menu (top left, with the question mark) and click on the "explore user presets" menu item. That should open an Explorer window with the user presets directory. Which you may have already found, if you saw that no file was saved. Nevertheless, if that fails to open or happens to open in a place where Windows 10 doesn't let users write file then that might explain the problem. So if you could get back to us with the name of the directory for you, that would help. Also, you could try copying any file into that Explorer window and if that doesn't work then it's some kind of Windows system permissions problem.

Hello blurk

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yes, I did explore the user presets directory. This is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns\Instruments\Strange Synths\Noisetar by Nusofting\Presets\User

And yes, you are right: Windows 10 does require Administrator permission to write into this folder.
So, if the plugin cannot make that system window appear to obtain the permission, it would be necessary to set the user presets folder somewhere else or give the user a way to change it.

If you manage to get that fixed I will be more than happy to create some presets for you to include in future distributions of the synth (if you want to). Send me a PM if you are interested.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”