Cubase SX3 oddness: when I open my project, two empty recorded files are automatically created.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Cubase project which contains two empty audio input tracks: these tracks are named "RX21" and "X50".
Such project is saved under D:\CubaseProjects\projectname.

Keep in mind that currently no audio files are present inside the audio tracks and the pool window is empty and so the trash.

Well: whenever i open this project, inside the folder "D:\CubaseProjects\projectname\audio" (where the audio tracks are usually recorded) are automatically created two empty/invalid audio files called RX21_01.wav and X50_01.wav: These files which are automatically created when I open my project are invalid because have a size of 1 KB, and however I didn't record anything. when I close Cubase and so my project, those files are automagically deleted; when I start again Cubase and I open again my project, these audio files are always automagically created and so on. As I've said these audio files are invalid, because their size is of only 1KB and I didn't record anything.

These files, in facts, are only present when my project is opened inside Cubase: if I attempt to delete them from the file explorer of Windows XP, an alert window told me that i cannot delete them because they are currently in use (obviously inside Cubase), but this is not true: as I've said nor in the audio tracks nor in the pool window these files are present.

If in my project I make another empty audio track (by default will be named "Audio 01") inside D:\CubaseProjects\projectname\audio folder will be instantly created an audio file called "Audio 1_01.wav! But I didn't recorded anything… Also because these automaticaly created files have only a size of 1 KB.

And if I attempt to record something on "RX21" and "X50" tracks, these truly recorded files will be named "RX21_02.wav" and "and X50_02.wav"; normally they should be named by starting with 01, but the *_01.wav is created when i start my project...

What can I check? I'm going crazy.

other than zipping up the project and dropboxing it to someone else with SX3 to test (I still run it when I want to play with old projects (with sampletank 2 and grooveagent 2), I can only suggest asking Steinberg support.

Seems a weird issue.

There is no support for Cubase SX 3.

rollasoc wrote:other than zipping up the project and dropboxing it to someone else with SX3 to test (I still run it when I want to play with old projects (with sampletank 2 and grooveagent 2), I can only suggest asking Steinberg support.

Seems a weird issue.

I don't have Cubase, so I am approaching this generically...

You don't mention if this happens with a new project. If it doesn't, then it seems clear the project is corrupt. Have you tried to recreate the project from scratch?

I've seen this with Cubase 5 and C8. Incl. the other day. Probably trashing preferences will get rid of it. The project I saw it in doesn't do it today, nothing else would be different. If you have very involved preferences, make a copy of what's pertinent and replace these after rebuilding prefs in general with a start following deletion.

Thanks to everyone for the kind replies.
Well, I investigated Further and I noticed that:

If I make a new project, will not suffer of this strange behavior.
Initially I thought that these "ghost" wave files were created immediately after that I open my project; instead I noticed that these wav files are created only if, with the mouse, I click / highlight the corresponding audio track of my project (please notice that during this condition, no recording or play is active in the transport bar)

What I mean:

If i click on the audio track named "RX21", will be immediately created a wav file of 1 KB, named "RX21_01.wav" in the audio folder of my project; this also occurs if I just click on the other audio tracks of my project. If I don't click on audio tracks, these audio files of 1 KB will not be created.

Is surely a trouble of my project: for some unknow reason has been corrupted, but usually when a project becomes corrupted, Cubase told me about this fact and it make a copy of the corrupted project (eg "myproject.cpr", after corruption, will be saved as "myproject-01.cpr"); but this has not been my case.

Since new projects are ok, is not an issue related to my preferences.

Currently, since I use this project only for live music, and since I discovered that if I don't click/ highlight my audio tracks (if I need to tweak them I can do it using the mixer) these ghost files are not created, I can live with this. Recreate the project from scratch would be an huge work (this project also contains midi tracks, vsti, and actually also various midi routings (i also setup a generic remote midi controller which is needed to interact with plugins, vsti, FX, automations and so on).

However, if someone wish help me to investigate, the following link contains the project file from few days ago: as I've said it also contains many vst plugins, Vst instruments and a generic remote midi controller, so, obviously, should claim that something is missing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2or9 ... FhzckFyRUE

Kind regards.

The delete preferences is a thing, it's actually typical of Cubase to eventually accrue some corruption and rebuilding preferences makes various weirdness stop.

I loaded your project and there are no false audio files. Including after clicking on "RX21" with it record-enabled. So, it's your Cubase (trash preferences, check it out), not this project particularly, I believe.

Hi jancivil, thank you for your kind help!

However: I deleted the Preference folder and let Cubase to recreate them from scratch (and obviously I also set my own preferences); the only thing that I noticed is that Cubase is more smart and quick while loading everything, but the weird issue with the ghost wav files is still present. You told me that my project on your Computer is ok, so I don't know what else can I check...
Inside the preference folder there are some XML files; I will attempt to open them with notepad++ and check for references about track names and wav files..

Yeah, seems like I got bad sick of seeing that in one project but trashing prefs didn't change it.
It isn't happening here at all right now, but I saw it the other day. it isn't really a functional problem except you have that appended '2' after the file name. Which I used to let get to me a little bit.

I would additionally do 'save as backup' into a fresh folder. I don't think the xmls are going to provide joy.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”