Cubase 9 coming in December according to Guitar Center

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

I've an issue.

The alert saying Cubase Pro 9 won't start dude to "wrong" theme - is not resizable.

Any chance Steinberg will fix this issue?

zvenx wrote:Let me answer:
1. For me on my macbook pro if I am working on the road, without an external screen. Yes the Lower Zone is exceedingly helpful.....can't say that strong enough. I don't know if it was aimed at multi screen users, however for some users having the editors in the project window is a significant work flow if you have enough screen real estate....
Out of interest, how large is that laptop? What's the screen resolution? Screen real estate is exactly the issue. I use a retina MBP resolution 2880 x 1800 scaled as one up from default (ie more on the screen). I do agree that editors below the project window is a really useful idea in theory, but I found there simply was nowhere near enough height to go around those dual functions without endlessly adjusting the height. Tell you what might work though - dynamic height adjustment. You click on a midi part, and the lower pane slides up from a small base value to a much more workable one. Click back anywhere on the project pane and it slides back. Might be tricky to implement and get right, but it would then be useful for a lot more people imo.
zvenx wrote:2. The sampler issue is a known issue and will be fixed.
That's news to me - all the issues I mentioned? Algorithm, placement, routing, parent files? If so - great!
zvenx wrote:3. I actually use the F2 transport bar at the bottom of my screen, have for the past ten plus years, I actually don't' find it interfering with Dock or taskbar, plus many of the transport features are also available on the top of the project window... see any of my screenshots in this thread....so you don't have to use it....where would you want them to put it?
Where else to put it? The top, as an option.
zvenx wrote:4. You can undo several issues at one swoop just move the orange horizontal line....What it doesn't have and would be nice to have is branch history, so you can make one undo but keep every other change after that initial event.
Exactly.

As to the number of people complaining, let's not get silly. Forgive me not submitting a paper for statistical peer review, but as must be obvious, there's a lot of unhappy people out there.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Oh Sorry, you said this:
Does it make sense for the Sampler Track to import the parent file, not the clip, not route and place it intelligently and have a terrible timestretch algorithm? (bad answer - "you don't have to use it you know")
I was only addressing the issue of it using the whole file even if you just selected a part of it. I don't know what you mean by routing and placing intelligently... and yes the timestretch indeed needs 'work'.

you then said:
Is it a missed opportunity to not be able to undo just one entry in the mixer history list? (bad answer - just be grateful we have mixer undo at all).
nothing in there I interpret as branch history.
You keep moving the bar whenever I respond.

I think I have the same size laptop it is a 2014 macbook 15inch retina pro.

I am done with this and arguing with you about this.
good luck with your quest, whatever that quest is.
rsp
sound sculptist

noiseboyuk wrote:
In a word - no. Abbreviations are still daft, though there sometimes seems to be an extra character or two visible.

I took a couple of A/B screen grabs though on Elements 8 v 9, because 9 looked a bit crisper on the MBP, or so I thought. And to be fair, it is.
Great, now you can see in clear crisp letter how stupid that abbreviation scheme is :x Does Steinberg have no QA? Is it even on purpose?? Frankly, stupidity like this makes me want to stay on 6.5 forever. Too bad I bought the 8.5 update (w/o registering) in the hope that those things would be fixed... really annoyed...

zvenx - yes, I think this little tangent comes to an end here. I think I've explained myself fairly well, but often on re-reading I realise I could have been clearer. Still, I think plenty are able to follow my train of thought, as it did spawn the user survey last year. All the best.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I have three monitors. But I normally only use two. Both are 24inch @ 1920x 1200. I find this a good resolution. I cannot understand how some people assume a 15inch monitor could ever show more than some 1280. Technically it is of course possible, but visually? Bof...
Ever tried to work with a real life 15 inch mixer with 24 or more channels? Not exactly handy.

I like the mixer below my workspace because it feels more 'real'. That is where the mixer should be. So, unless you have a second monitor below your first, and your mixer on that second one, this is, to me, the best solution. Not for the final mix though. That's when whenpress f2 and get our full mixer on that second monitor. But when still creating, when adapting volumes, adding a send etc...that's when I do not like to have to turn to that second monitor.

To each their own. And I do know that someone doing EDM has different wishes than someone creating large orchestral work. Thing is that, just like on medical sites, the ones who are happy because it works for them usually don't post. What you do get is a distorted image of those who do not feel happy. Sometimes because they have real and good complaints, but often also because they decided beforehand it cannot be good and want to show their knowledge (read: ego) in critique.

To each their own. Really.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

noiseboyuk wrote:
fese wrote:Did they fix the horrible "abbreviation" of plugins names in the mixer with three dots "...." when the plugin name is too long for the channel width? That is soooo stupid and makes some plugins with similar names completely indistinguishable...
In a word - no. Abbreviations are still daft, though there sometimes seems to be an extra character or two visible.

I took a couple of A/B screen grabs though on Elements 8 v 9, because 9 looked a bit crisper on the MBP, or so I thought. And to be fair, it is.
Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 22.09.16.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 22.07.31.png
Am I missing something here? Attached is an image of what 8.5 looks like on my laptop, Windows 10 1080p resolution. Also, every couple of steps that I reduce the width of channels, my font sizes adjust to fit more. I see the dots in the routing pane for my MIDI outputs, but not in the plugin inserts.

Am I missing something?

Brent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My host is better than your host

fese wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:

Great, now you can see in clear crisp letter how stupid that abbreviation scheme is :x Does Steinberg have no QA? Is it even on purpose?? Frankly, stupidity like this makes me want to stay on 6.5 forever. Too bad I bought the 8.5 update (w/o registering) in the hope that those things would be fixed... really annoyed...
See my post above. Am I missing something? Could this be an issue with the Mac version only?

Brent

Ok, strange. I finally installed Pro 9 and now I have the dots. Though I still have a lot of the plugin name. But I didn't have the dots in 8.5 which is pictured above. I do now. Maybe there is a preference somewhere that changes that?

Brent

Let me check and respond.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
koolkeys wrote:Ok, strange. I finally installed Pro 9 and now I have the dots. Though I still have a lot of the plugin name. But I didn't have the dots in 8.5 which is pictured above. I do now. Maybe there is a preference somewhere that changes that?

Brent
Hi Brent, I don't remember if there is a preference to change it, but what you are seeing was deliberate.
There were complaints about the mouse over behaviour of Cubendo, that some functions only appeared if the mouse was in the right position over a specific part of the GUI etc and this was changed to allow a less mouse over behaviour.
rsp
But weren't people saying that the problem existed in Cubase 8.5? Because for me, it looks to be fine in 8.5 but changed in 9? I remember the talk about the mouse over behavior (though I think it was overblown a bit), but I don't recall seeing the dots problem before. Again though, I very well could have missed it as I only recently jumped back into Cubase.

Brent

I deleted my post because I think I may have misread/misinterpreted what you said.
So far in my system both are behaving the same with inserts and mouse overs, so I have to look back at your image and see what dots you are referring to.

Yeah I was definitely speaking about something else.
Sorry, off to investigate the dots you mention.

rsp

koolkeys wrote:
zvenx wrote:
koolkeys wrote:Ok, strange. I finally installed Pro 9 and now I have the dots. Though I still have a lot of the plugin name. But I didn't have the dots in 8.5 which is pictured above. I do now. Maybe there is a preference somewhere that changes that?

Brent
Hi Brent, I don't remember if there is a preference to change it, but what you are seeing was deliberate.
There were complaints about the mouse over behaviour of Cubendo, that some functions only appeared if the mouse was in the right position over a specific part of the GUI etc and this was changed to allow a less mouse over behaviour.
rsp
But weren't people saying that the problem existed in Cubase 8.5? Because for me, it looks to be fine in 8.5 but changed in 9? I remember the talk about the mouse over behavior (though I think it was overblown a bit), but I don't recall seeing the dots problem before. Again though, I very well could have missed it as I only recently jumped back into Cubase.

Brent
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:I deleted my post because I think I may have misread/misinterpreted what you said.
So far in my system both are behaving the same with inserts and mouse overs, so I have to look back at your image and see what dots you are referring to.

rsp
Other posters were complaining about the dots that appear when an insert's name is too long for the insert slot. The name gets truncated and three dots appear. See my attached picture to this post, which is from Cubase 9 (and looks like the ones I was trying to quote), and my attachment above is from 8.5.

Brent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah Brent, sorry, I not following which dots you speak of.
Btw on my mac fonts do rescale for both 8.5 and 9.

rsp
sound sculptist

koolkeys wrote:
zvenx wrote:I deleted my post because I think I may have misread/misinterpreted what you said.

rsp
Other posters were complaining about the dots that appear when an insert's name is too long for the insert slot. The name gets truncated and three dots appear. See my attached picture to this post, which is from Cubase 9 (and looks like the ones I was trying to quote), and my attachment above is from 8.5.

Brent

Thanks, follow you now, you mentioned midi routing or something like that which completely threw me.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”