Cubase 9 coming in December according to Guitar Center

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I get the ellipsis in both Cubase 8.5 and 9

and

rsp
sound sculptist

I also only get ellipses.

Well, if I remember correctly from my C7 demoing, the plugin names were just cut of mid-letter. Ugly, but mostly readable.
in 8.5/9, it looks like this:
cubase 9 plugin abbreviation.PNG
Sorry, Steinberg, please tell me: which one is ValhallaVintageVerb and which ValhallaRoom (without using mouseover). Is there a settting somewhere I don't see? If no, this is a bug, not a feature!

This is how it should be done:
cubase 6.5 plugin abbreviation.PNG
Simplified algorithm:
  1. Remove all whitespace
  2. Successively remove all vowels in order (u, o, i, e, a)
  3. maybe remove subsequent consonants
  4. give up :)
The human brain is pretty good at deciphering words even if consonants are missing!
I still think the plugin handling in 6.5 was much, much better...

Just installed C9, and yeah! they finally fork a new process for plugin scanning so the whole program doesn't crash any more. Was that so hard?
Still think the whole startup/scan takes way too long.

Is it possible to have some kind of auto-save for the work spaces states? (don't know the word in english, its "Arbeitsbereiche" in german), I really hate that the window settings change when I switch back and forth when I forget to press "alt-u". Just like in C6?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Another problem with the (global) work spaces (on win7):
I have workspace 1 with my arrange window and ws 2 with the mixer, each full screen. In the mixer I reduce the channel width so I have like 20 channels visible.
If I now switch to ws1 and then back to ws2, the channel width has gone back to the highest possible width, even if I update the ws with alt-u.
Does anyone else has this problem?

Ok after looking into the shortcut buttons on both MixConsole and Project window...

shortcuts for Project window show up as being the same on MixConsole, but you can assign totally different ones for the MixConsole under the Mixer+Show/hide components in the menu.

Project Window show/hide left/right/lowerzone can be found under Window+show/hide listing

Even though the command buttons for hide/show left/right zones on MixConsole and Project Window say the same, they don't actually do the same command.

Will fire that off to Steinberg.
yep still on the 16 bar loop... :D

Most of my Elements experience so far has been pretty negative, especially concerning the big ticket Lower Zone, Sampler Track and Transport Window. However, a brief bit of more encouraging news here. I spent a little time last night playing around with a few things, and the left and right separator in the main tool window literally opens up some new possibilities. By placing the left and right separator to allow for a big gap in the middle of the toolbar, it is now possible to sit the transport panel top, front and centre on a laptop display, making both the new transport bar and the old transport buttons redundant.

After some jiggling, this is the configuration I've ended up with for the MBP:
Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 08.15.11.png
...which is actually pretty neat and very practical I find. You can just see hiding on the lower right hand corner the way I find the mixer window easiest to work with - there's just a bit showing, so clicking on the RHS brings it up almost full frame, and clicking back at the top brings back the project window. Bringing up the right hand pane for the VST rack is a simple click away (good riddance to the awful side pop ups from C8), and everything now fits really nicely in the rack.

I ran a moderately busy session on Elements 8 and then on 9 - a couple of fully loaded Omni instances, Battery, Stylus, Kontakt 5, same basic Waves plugins. I found performance to be identical, averaging about 30%, peaking about 50%. I was slightly surprised, as C9 does have something snappier about it in feel - not sure if this is really placebo due to the increased sharpness of the display to be honest. The good news is I've not had a single crash in C9, so it does seem system stability at least has been prioritised.

So feeling very marginally less grumpy about it this morning. This is still a very slight upgrade to be sure, with all the main features wanting or disappointing to me, with the exception of the VST rack. But some smaller unheralded improvements are there, and they can make quite a difference.

[Some tangential thoughts about Elements as a dongle-free working tool. There's a helluva lot you can do with it. 48 audio tracks, 64 midi, 24 instrument tracks, 16 rack instruments, 16 groups, 8 FX tracks might sound limiting, but for getting a pretty serious session going on the road, it's surprisingly powerful. I discovered that you can have every output of every VST enabled and there's no restrictions on that, so you could run to hundreds of tracks with sep outs if you were so minded. It's not all good news - some big ticket items such as Variaudio, disabled tracks and Quick Controls are sorely missed along with the new mixer history, but there's a couple of details which are perhaps even more irritating - lack of VST side chain; FX & group routing to main only and not other groups are two biggies. Still, it's very handy to have if, like me, you are dongle-averse when on the road.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”