Cubase 9

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Let's qualify that...if you get it from steinberg. Anywhere else will be a wait

Tested on Osx 10.12.1 it is very stable if you don t use blacklisted plugin.

Blacklisted : 2nd Sense Wiggle / audio damage Ronin / Audio damage 914 / Beepstreet Sunrizer.

Work perfeclty : Every Nomad Factory ( even the older !!!) /
Vengeance FX / Every U he Instrument / Psp Audio FX / Every Waves Fx + Instrument / Waves Art plugin / Soundtoys /Fxpansion Geist + Tremors / Reveal Sound Spire / McDsp Fx / Eventide / PluginBoutique CZ / BigKick / Antares FX / Audio damage Instrument + a few FX ...

(Tested on a Imac 2012 with 8g of RAM + Presonus 44 VSL)

I have a few to install to test : Native Instrument , Rob papen synth...

I will report when everything will be installed , the new osx (sierra) seems to be lighter than yosemite , no lag ...
Don't forget to repair permission , reboot test , install news , reboot , repair ....

It seems BFD 3 is not compatible yet and Maul is a little bit instable.

I hope it will help a some of you ;)

thejonsolo wrote:Let's qualify that...if you get it from steinberg. Anywhere else will be a wait
Some retailers, like Sweetwater, will deliver instantly as well.

Any news about eventual performance gains vs v8.5?

Best Regards

Roman Empire

I took the jump from 7.5 to 9 and I have to say I absolutely love Cubase 9. The interface feels a lot cleaner and I'm warming to the one-window interface. Double-clicking the MIDI clip and having it appear in the bottom section (like my beloved Project5 from a far-gone era) was a nice surprise.

There's something... glitchy about the VST insert bypass? (the little power button on inserts?)

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works if I CTRL+click. Seems random, haven't found a pattern for it yet.

fandango wrote: There's something... glitchy about the VST insert bypass? (the little power button on inserts?)

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works if I CTRL+click. Seems random, haven't found a pattern for it yet.
The trick is that you have to make sure that you are not moving the mouse while you click on the button. If you position the arrow over the button and then click, it will work 100% of the times. This is one of those Cubase rarities that we all love... :hihi:

Sahul wrote:
fandango wrote: There's something... glitchy about the VST insert bypass? (the little power button on inserts?)

The trick is that you have to make sure that you are not moving the mouse while you click on the button. If you position the arrow over the button and then click, it will work 100% of the times. This is one of those Cubase rarities that we all love... :hihi:
Just checked, you're absolutely right! :tu: Thanks for the heads-up!

Roman Empire wrote:Any news about eventual performance gains vs v8.5?

Best Regards

Roman Empire
Some have claimed it, when I measured a test project it was identical. That said, I have a hunch (only a hunch) it's a little more stable and less prone to spikes, which could be to do with the VST Sentinel.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I'm curious what people think about this. I have Pro on my desktop but I'm thinking that Elements is actually quite a bit more powerful than the LE versions used to be and it seems that most of the basic workflow features are there. I know that sidechain is missing, but for most of what I'm doing these days and for what I want to do on my laptop that's not really an issue. I have a copy of LE that I can upgrade so it's pretty cheap. Are there any really show-stopping features about Elements that make it super annoying to work with as compared to Pro?

I don't really plan on going back and forth. I will use the laptop to start new projects or to mix/remix stems/masters.

Sahul wrote:

This was driving me insane in 8.5 ( I only upgraded to that from 5 about 3 months ago)

I don't understand why those buttons are so tricky to turn on and off! Its just a button ffs!
In all previous versions I have used these buttons work like you would expect.
Crazyness...that I was really hoping would be removed in 9, ah well.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Sahul wrote:

oh wow, thanks very much for this, it's been off and on quite annoying that it worked then didn't work, it does work 100% now, i didn't even notice that i was still moving my mouse a bit

ghettosynth wrote: Are there any really show-stopping features about Elements that make it super annoying to work with as compared to Pro?
I took out a 30-day demo on Elements as I'm too far from my real wkstation (or a dongle, which is really why Elements) ftm.

It's not so bad as I woulda thunk, but ultimately the lack of the Browser has me scrambling for a dongle (snail mail fr. the nearest Guitar Center is about it, evidently) now in order to go 'Pro'. Owing to my extensive use of automation, I go to command-B quite frequently, and even at this lite sort of usage I'm doing in here, it gets kind of old. Also no Offline Process History, although that's more of a perceived need than an all day long go-to.

jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Are there any really show-stopping features about Elements that make it super annoying to work with as compared to Pro?
I took out a 30-day demo on Elements as I'm too far from my real wkstation (or a dongle, which is really why Elements) ftm.

It's not so bad as I woulda thunk, but ultimately the lack of the Browser has me scrambling for a dongle (snail mail fr. the nearest Guitar Center is about it, evidently) now in order to go 'Pro'. Owing to my extensive use of automation, I go to command-B quite frequently, and even at this lite sort of usage I'm doing in here, it gets kind of old. Also no Offline Process History, although that's more of a perceived need than an all day long go-to.
Apparently, I don't know Cubase. I had no idea that there was an event browser. That is indeed a nice feature and I can see it saving me a lot of time where mouse fiddling isn't the right way to edit, e.g. note lengths. I also use a lot of automation, but I have never even once activated the browser.

That might become a show stopper in the future, but not really right now. The thing about dongles is that I don't mind taking them along with me, but not casually. I have to consciously think about having them. I do take my laptop out casually though and more than once I would like to spend some time making music. Of course I can still use Reaper, but it seems like Elements is actually worth $49.

ghettosynth wrote:I'm curious what people think about this. I have Pro on my desktop but I'm thinking that Elements is actually quite a bit more powerful than the LE versions used to be and it seems that most of the basic workflow features are there. I know that sidechain is missing, but for most of what I'm doing these days and for what I want to do on my laptop that's not really an issue. I have a copy of LE that I can upgrade so it's pretty cheap. Are there any really show-stopping features about Elements that make it super annoying to work with as compared to Pro?

I don't really plan on going back and forth. I will use the laptop to start new projects or to mix/remix stems/masters.
There's an awful lot you can do with it. Lack of sidechaining is indeed the single biggest horror, but there is a plugin you can get for that - SideKick6. Also I find it a real pain that you can't route FX to groups, nor groups to other groups. The track limits are actually pretty real-world useable. Good enough for laptop work for me, but I'd never make it my only DAW - Variaudio, EuCon, disabled tracks etc etc.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I'm curious what people think about this. I have Pro on my desktop but I'm thinking that Elements is actually quite a bit more powerful than the LE versions used to be and it seems that most of the basic workflow features are there. I know that sidechain is missing, but for most of what I'm doing these days and for what I want to do on my laptop that's not really an issue. I have a copy of LE that I can upgrade so it's pretty cheap. Are there any really show-stopping features about Elements that make it super annoying to work with as compared to Pro?

There's an awful lot you can do with it. Lack of sidechaining is indeed the single biggest horror, but there is a plugin you can get for that - SideKick6. Also I find it a real pain that you can't route FX to groups, nor groups to other groups. The track limits are actually pretty real-world useable. Good enough for laptop work for me, but I'd never make it my only DAW - Variaudio, EuCon, disabled tracks etc etc.
Thanks for the post. The routing limitations sound annoying, but, it doesn't sound like there are any real limitations that matter on the midi side of things. I think that I'll take jancivil's approach and demo it so that I can just install it and try working with it over the Christmas break.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”