New Soundtoys Echoboy Jr. :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrabtharsHammer wrote:

Okay, here is the information I got from Soundtoys:
"Thanks for the question! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying EchoBoy Jr! The Low Cut and High Cut controls are not simple high pass and low pass filters, and function more like macro controls for several parameters "under the hood." This is why the parameter values are shown on a scale from 0.0-1.0 and not displayed in terms of hertz or decibels. The effect of Low Cut and High Cut will change based on the Echo Style that you have selected. For instance, the High Cut has very little effect on the BBD inspired Memory style because it is already pretty dark and rolled off in the high end. The default frequency response of the Cheap Tape style is much wider and the High Cut control can do a nice job of controlling the high end if you are using it on if you're using it on a brighter source. I would recommend trying out the full range of the Low Cut and High Cut on all the styles to get a sense for how they work. If you are having trouble hearing their effect, I would try throwing a spectral analyzer plug-in after EchoBoy Jr. to take a closer look at how the frequency response changes when you turn those knobs. In most cases, I like to use the Echo Style selector to dial in the tone of the echo, and reach for the Low Cut and High Cut for additional control when I need it."
Very good info, thanks.
This belongs definitely into the manual.
Vortifex wrote:Any reason to get this if I already have Waves H-Delay? Always wanted the full Echoboy but it's overpriced IMO.
I would say yes.
As good as H-Delay sounds (I love it), it still offers basically one sound.

With Echoboy Jr. you have the choice between 7 sounds, which all sound different from each other.

I just wished they also included the "Digital" setting from Echoboy - a pure, uncoloured delay.

Vortifex wrote:Any reason to get this if I already have Waves H-Delay? Always wanted the full Echoboy but it's overpriced IMO.
Honestly, between the two, one could argue that H-Delay is the overpriced one. It's nice and cheap, but it's really just a pretty basic delay and offers a fraction of the sound design possibilities that EchoBoy does. It's a case of getting what you pay for. If you only need/want a simple delay, H-Delay is fine, but if you want a lot more tonal and time control with some really cool and useful features (e.g., groove delays), then EchoBoy is totally worth it IMO (and will cover everything that H-Delay can do).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Get the full echoboy when it's on sale :shrug: 'jr' seems like a good 'taster', but the real thing can do so much more

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:I got H-Delay in a sale for about thirty five quid, which was good value (and we all know the sale price of a VST plugin is the real price :hihi: ) Even at sale price Echoboy is well over a hundred quid and still not worth it IMO. Maybe it's because I'm poor :) I loathe the idea of paying near the price of a DAW for an fx plugin.

Anyway, I found a quick overview of Echoboy Jr and it sounds really nice. For the same (introductory) price as a Valhalla plugin it's gotta be worth it.
You also may want to consider Replika XT from Native Instruments. It is a really nice dual delay with a bevy of modes and effects on the wet signal, plus ducking. If you have the freebie Replika they gave as a gift a couple of years ago, the upgrade is 50 bucks to XT.

The full plugin was 50 last week..

Out of all the gazillion native delay plugins, it is the only one I consider similar enough to Echoboy to compare with it.

I Love it. Thank you, Soundtoys.
Simple to use, sounds great.

Vortifex wrote:I got H-Delay in a sale for about thirty five quid, which was good value (and we all know the sale price of a VST plugin is the real price :hihi: ) Even at sale price Echoboy is well over a hundred quid and still not worth it IMO. Maybe it's because I'm poor :) I loathe the idea of paying near the price of a DAW for an fx plugin.

Anyway, I found a quick overview of Echoboy Jr and it sounds really nice. For the same (introductory) price as a Valhalla plugin it's gotta be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2MM-PTdwKM
I'd say it's value definitely exists independently of your ability to afford it :wink: And yes, I believe it's worth it (It doesn't maintain it's reputation for nothing)

Jr sounds great, because EB sounds great. EB just has so many more times that greatness, not just in modelling options, but in the tweakability.

VitaminD is also correct, in that ReplicaXT comes very close. However, while there is definitely good overlap, both can easily justify a place in a delay-whore's portfolio.

Having said all that, the fact that you are pretty satisfied with H-delay suggests that you are really not looking for anything more than a simple, solid, good sounding delay, in which case Jr would add a lot. Just don't demo Eb...Don't do it...Nope! Never :ud:

Any thoughts about how the Jr compares to Logic's built-in Tape Delay effect?

H-Delay has no wide mode (slight LR delay offset) but better control over delay-mod.
Eboy Jr. also has the option to turn of "glide" off (no interpolation).

Thanks Soundtoys!
- WonderEcho -

The video was useful. Thanks Vortifex.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2MM-PTdwKM
Just don't demo Eb...Don't do it...Nope! Never :ud:
how CAN you anyway?... another douche-wagon company with a gargantuan installer containing a fabillion plugins you need to download in order to demo something with the title "Jr"...
If you want a simple great sounding delay plugin with FX, ducking and mid-side mode, try Stealth Delay from Polygon Sheep... it sounds great, and it's just shy of 30 bucks.
lower CPU usage than the free Replika too

sqigls wrote:how CAN you anyway?... another douche-wagon company with a gargantuan installer containing a fabillion plugins you need to download in order to demo something with the title "Jr"...
I managed to download it all, even with my slow connection. It is possible :tu: I do agree, though, that demo installers should be separated

As for 'Stealth': Looks to be a solid delay, with some good features (Great reverse, also), but doesn't seem to have the 'vibe' that the emulated models within EB, Jr, or even Repeater can offer :shrug:

the difference is, it's not trying to emulate anything...
It's a pretty fab delay tool, can get vibe from it, without muddiness. It's a lil gem
BTW, Repeater - vibe!!?? Really...

sqigls wrote:the difference is, it's not trying to emulate anything...
It's a pretty fab delay tool, can get vibe from it, without muddiness. It's a lil gem
BTW, Repeater - vibe!!?? Really...
I get that it's not trying to emulate anything, which is all well and good unless you want a delay that emulates something :shrug:

I do think that Repeater has a certain vibe, but falls short in so many ways. I only mentioned it as it came up in this thread as a comparison to EB and Jr.

As for the emulations in EB: I don't really care whether they are authentic (I've never owned any of the real gear to compare them to), I'm just happy that there are so many different styles of vibe that can be added. And once you get into the hidden tweak menus, all manner of greatness can be found. It does stuff that none of my other delays can do, but cannot replace all of them either.

I don't see someone wanting EB to be satisfied by Stealth, nor vice versa. But when someone asks if EB is worth taking over Jr, to me the recommendation is pretty simple.

Return to “Effects”