Clicks in NI Kontakt - DC offset?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am noticing some occasional clicks, usually at the beginning of samples, when using NI's "French Horn Ensemble" through Kontakt. It's not all the time and it seems to be random - when I'm solo'ing the instrument, sometimes it does it on one note in the song, so I go back and replay the section.. and it doesn't do it there - instead it does it somewhere else!

So.. I don't think there's something wrong with the samples themselves per se. There's just something fishy happening on playback.

I believe it's some kind of DC offset.. like when you play a wave file that has this problem, it jumps from the centre zero-point of the waveform to where it needs to go, causing the click at the start of playback.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there any way to combat it? Will buffer size help? Increase note attack? Adjust the highpass? (the channel already has a highpass as horns have significant subsonic content). Horns usually produce asymetrical waveforms, I think - maybe that has something to do with it...

No one else will notice in the song.. but I do - and I'm a rampant perfectionist :D Any help appreciated!

I should note that these clicks are appearing in the renders and that's why I'm looking into it. Wouldn't bother me otherwise :)

You might try using the Legacy instruments and only loading up the articulation you are using. If it is being caused by something in the more advanced scripting or the release samples that might clear it up.

Thanks my friend!

I think I sussed it. I dialed in 50ms attack time on the notes. Seems to have fixed it (can't confirm until I do some proper listneing and analysis). The default was 0ms. Strange I'll have to remember that in future!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”