Learning piano chords... which to learn first? Learn the ones in the same key first?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I admittedly don't know many piano chords off the top of my head. I want to learn but I'm not sure which to learn first. I've heard to learn all the chords in one key first? So much to learn...

Would it not be better to learn to 'spell' chords? In this way, you'd be able to construct chords in different inversions, and in any key, without having to memorise chords for all keys.

Ah. Learn the construction instead of memorizing each one. Well that'll be much easier. Great advice.

arkmabat wrote:I admittedly don't know many piano chords off the top of my head. I want to learn but I'm not sure which to learn first. I've heard to learn all the chords in one key first? So much to learn...
I agree with el-bo.

Trying to "learn" all the chords in existence would be a huge undertaking and not likely to be especially profitable in and of itself. As you correctly said, "so much to learn".

A far more fruitful approach would be to learn how chords are constructed; the different types, where they are typically found and so on. For example: Chords I, IV and V in any major key are major chords. With that one fact alone you can work out so many chords without needing to memorise each one individually.

It's like learning a language; you don't sit down with a dictionary and start memorising words from A to Z; that's just not a good approach.

So start with the basics. Learn the difference between major and minor triads. Learn about diminished and augmented triads. Learn on which degrees of the major and minor scales these naturally occur. Play these as you go; most people learn better from "doing" - so try them out on the piano. Notice how they sound. Try different inversions, look into cadences and other common chord progressions etc.- Put things in context. It will start to come naturally as you get more experience.

Remember; start simply and get the basics mastered first. The Internet will try and push you into things that you may not be ready for yet. Little and often is far better than too much, too soon.

The link in my sig might help.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

Thank you for all the help. Constructing major and minor isn't so bad after all. Just have to count the semitones... 0-4-7 for major.

arkmabat wrote:Thank you for all the help. Constructing major and minor isn't so bad after all. Just have to count the semitones... 0-4-7 for major.
Yes, but rather than counting semitones, it's probably better to get used to thinking in terms of thirds (since that's what the basic chords are constructed from).
Learn about major thirds (4 semitones) and minor thirds (3 semitones).

Then, know that major triads consist of a major third followed by a minor third,
minor triads consist of a minor third followed by a major third
diminished triads are two minor thirds
augmented triads are two major thirds

So basically, if you know those two basic intervals (major third and minor third), you should be able to construct any triad on any note!
(And later, when you start learning about seventh chords, it's just another third on top!)

How exactly does one calculate a third? Is it the third note in the scale? Semitones are so easy though :D

arkmabat wrote:How exactly does one calculate a third? Is it the third note in the scale? Semitones are so easy though :D
A third is three notes of the alphabet (regardless of flats, sharps etc.)
So A up to C is a third (A to B is a second, A to D is a fourth etc.)
Ab to C and A to C# are also thirds.

But, like all intervals, there are different kinds of thirds.
The two you're most likely to encounter are major thirds and minor thirds, as I said.
Major thirds are 4 semitones, minor thirds are 3 semitones.

So A to C is a minor third, whereas A to C# is a major third.
C to E is a major third, C to Eb is a minor third.
(look on the piano and see them).

NB: A to Db is not a third even though Db sounds the same as C#. This is because A to D is four letters of the alphabet and not three (so it is some kind of fourth).

So the triad of A minor for example is A-C-E. A to C is a minor third, C to E is a major third.
The triad of C major is C-E-G. C to E is a major third, E to G is a minor third.

See intervals in the links in my sig.

Follow the advice the others have given; if you know how to construct a chord, then you can do it in any key. Practice listening, not just to how different chords sound compared to each other, but how they function within a song. This can come in handy if you need to play a song with some other people, but the singer needs to do it in a different key than you know it in. If you can hear how each chord functions within the song, you can easily play it in any key.

Also, don't forget to learn the inversions for each chord. Triads have three inversions; root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion. For example, a C major triad is C-E-G; that is also its root position. For the 1st inversion, move the C up an octave; now it's spelled E-G-C. For 2nd inversion, also move the E up an octave; now it's spelled G-C-E. This may seem tedious (especially since 4 note chords, like C7, have 4 inversions), but it can be essential when switching chords in a song. If you only know how to play your chords in root position, you'll have your hands jumping all over the place.

One other tip; learn proper fingering. If you're playing triads with your thumb, first finger, and middle finger, you're doing it wrong. For a triad in root position, use your thumb, middle finger, and pinky. And learn how to play them equally well with either hand.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

DocAtlas wrote:Also, don't forget to learn the inversions for each chord. Triads have three inversions; root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion. For example, a C major triad is C-E-G; that is also its root position. For the 1st inversion, move the C up an octave; now it's spelled E-G-C. For 2nd inversion, also move the E up an octave; now it's spelled G-C-E.
I agree with what you say, but to be clear, inversions depend on which note is the lowest, not which is the highest. It's best to think of it that way since E-G-C and E-C-G are both first inversions for example.

Cmajor
Dminor
Eminor
Fmajor
Gmajor
Aminor
Bdiminished
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:Also, don't forget to learn the inversions for each chord. Triads have three inversions; root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion. For example, a C major triad is C-E-G; that is also its root position. For the 1st inversion, move the C up an octave; now it's spelled E-G-C. For 2nd inversion, also move the E up an octave; now it's spelled G-C-E.
I agree with what you say, but to be clear, inversions depend on which note is the lowest, not which is the highest. It's best to think of it that way since E-G-C and E-C-G are both first inversions for example.
Yeah good point... I remember not fully understanding this @ first when I took theory yrs ago.
So for eg. if looking @ a Cmaj chord then,
Root in bass = Root position (CEG, CGE)
3rd in bass = 1st Inversion (EGC, ECG)
5th in bass = 2nd Inversion (GCE, GEC)

Return to “Music Theory”