SKnote "MotorTown" - A new Mahogany Drumset and a virtual Drummer - Mic modeling and effects

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MotorTown

This is a link I love about Motown :D

Motown - Studio A

You could find some "paraphrased" corrispondence between the image on the right and the interface of MotorTown. Some imagination needed :)

I just double checked the files online and they are ok. Please write to quintosardo at Yahoo dot it if you have issues with the installation :borg:

An update is online for the Windows version.
Fix: samplerates different from 44100 sam/s.

Just wanted to add that the update fixed the problems I had on my installation and Quinto provided very helpful and fast support in personal email. The drums sound fantastic! :)

I'm happy John! :D

Just added to the Grooves repository:

- 9 Funky Grooves
- 5 Rock Grooves
- 5 Reggae Grooves

Enjoy :tu:

P.S. Also Mix presets will be available in the repository.

YES! Thx!

add-it: Good idea to "dot" the new entries.

JohnD71651 wrote:Of course I believe you, I just wonder what's the difference between our setups.
In any case I don't think it is host-related - it crashes Reaper here too upon scan, but it also crashes Studio One V3 and Sonar X3 keeps scanning it forever.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Use email for this (or also email, but please use it) or I may not be able to help ;)
quintosardo at yahoo dot it

P.S. please double check the directories, always including the final "/"

Wll fwiw I now used your original .ini and added path (of course including the files) to my System and it works now...

dunno what the exact problem was with my path but either way I really think you need to add warnings, perhaps *gasp* even a pop-up asking for the location(s) and such (you know, like (e.g.) FXpansion's DR008 did fiveteen yeats ago when it couldn't find the content - either way not just crash the host because your plugin either doesn't like the file-name/-structure the user chose or he made a mistake when ´having to hack that .ini like he was a professional coder or something...

A plugin crashing just because it can't find what it is looking for? 100% unnecessary and worst coding practice. Sorry, but that's a fact. There's like 57.846.684.997 computer applications who manage to survive a startup without finding what they're looking for; have been since computers exist.

I know you're busy and shit - but basically you're stealing our time to save some of yours - not purchasing stuff to hack .inis and go bug-hunting before being able to use the stuff here.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Jens, I'm sure you'll calm down once everything is working for you.

I was also surprised by the procedure one has to follow to install this puppy. But it wasn't that difficult, was it? Unusual, yep, but for 40 bucks (incl. VAT!) I did not cry out loud.

Not knowing too much about Quinto I suspect he's an engineer rather than a marketing-, social media- and after sales expert. I don't care. I'm very happy with MT and bet there will be a ton of users thinking the same in future, too.

*peace* :)

Oh, I know Jens and I don't suffer for his attitude at all.

What is right is right ;)

Sure, crashes are not allowed.

It is not ignored, of course, just wrong. If you could know the amount of work behind ths apparently plain tool. I'm checking the checks and messages right now.

One nice side of this is that looks like it is really rock-solid once the install goes right.
Don't overlook this. Very often you have a huge and complete management of errors but runtime bugs ;)
That's your really valuable time that we didn't waste in place of ours :D

So far my overall impressions have not been very good to be honest - I wish I could say something different.

About two thirds to three quarters of the controls seem to do nothing at all.

The snare is terribly lagging - it sounds like a drummer with severe timing issues (the "Timing"-knob is one of those controls that appear to do nothing) . There also doesn't seem to be a way to have it sync to the host's tempo, not to mention time-signatures other that 4/4. / edit: found a way to use odd time-signatures :oops:

The kit sounds really nice though.
Last edited by jens on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, b.t.w.: I wouldn't say that it appears plain - it's obvious that it's supposed to be very flexible and powerful and I like how this takes a very different approach than the usual suspects. (it reminds me a bit of AIR's Strike, which partly has a quite similar approach) and I applaude you for that - however it's clearly not ready for prime time yet.

Check the short vid on Sknote's site. It is shown there that you have to set the host's tempo to the one in MT (or vice versa).

The "lagging" may be introduced by the macro (they call it "word") you're using when inserting a hit/note.

Didn't try other time-signatures, though.

Hey Jens, the snare is in synch, trust me! :)

All controls have an important effect, often they could look like they are not working but they really do. They are tuned to stay in the credible range.
I guess they are Timing, Tape, Tube, Drive and probably Inertia. I'll write some details about these very important controls later here.

Careful with Inertia control if you are not liking the drummer. Set it to zero (and Timing to 50%) for a precise drumming. Oh, and Swing! Keep it at zero!
There isn't any inactive control.

Just curious: do you think the audio samples on the website are out of time?

Time signatures: just write down whatever you want, ignoring the vertical lines.

Why "not ready for prime time"? It is only lacking a deeper check while installing. We already played like 30 full songs with arrangement! It is more than ready! :D

Ok, we need some tutorial here.

I'm playing with the Mac versions, in the meanwhile, yeah! Going online today.

Return to “Instruments”