Cubase or StudioOne?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you prefer Cubase or StudioOne and why?

Why not Reason, Reaper or Bitwig?

Cubase, don't like how S1 looks at all. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

S1, don't like how Cubase looks at all. :tu:

Studio One, because I don't own Cubase :hihi:

Cubase, because I don't own StudioOne :P

On a serieus note, Cubase seems slightly more advanced in general, with lots of smart shortcuts and features. I'm not sure, but StudioOne might be better for loop based music. I think it has more Live like features.
So I can comment on that a little: If you are used to real editing in Cubase, editing in live is a nightmare.. So many features missing compared to Cubase. But on the other hand, if you want to create something out of loops, Live has such a specific feature set for it that you're done before you know it and in Cubase it would take a lot more time.
My guess is that the new sampler channel in Cubase 9 will eventually be more "live like" (no pun intended :) )

for midi composers
either Cubase or Reaper
forget Studio One, even v3 is still very lacking in midi editing/routing/filters

Taurus wrote:What do you prefer Cubase or StudioOne and why?
Believe me, you will be disapointed if you make a hundreds of € purchase based on other people's opinions. There's all the info you need on the net, and both DAW's have demo versions (or smaller versions you can try out), AFAIK.

Not used Cubase since v5, S1 v3 crashed too many times for me to put up with and it occasionally refused to open those projects which crashed, moved onto Bitwig and all going o.k so far.

Your best off trying them both out and seeing which you get on with more.

chk071 wrote:
Taurus wrote:What do you prefer Cubase or StudioOne and why?
Believe me, you will be disapointed if you make a hundreds of € purchase based on other people's opinions. There's all the info you need on the net, and both DAW's have demo versions (or smaller versions you can try out), AFAIK.

This.

I use Cubendo and have since 2001. There was a time when SB pissed me off to the point I made sure I had a plan b if I choose to switch, based on a friends recommendation and a great sale I bought S1 Pro V2 (since updated to V3).
I haven't switched, I still use Cubendo and use S1 PRo for the occasional beta testing, however S1 Pro was developed by former SB engineers. And it shows, I can easily understand S1 without ever seeing a tutorial or reading a manual. If I were starting over I think I would go with S1, but at this stage I have too many projects that I have done with Cubase, and know it too well to start using another DAW unless I had to.....

I actually don't like the look of S1Pro v3 either, looks like Buttugly Reaper to me.....

But you have to try and see which one works best for your workflow.

I came to Cubendo from Opcode Studio Vision Pro, which Gibson bought and fired everyone.
I was on mac only at the time and tried all Daws, Logic, Pro Tools, DP (which some say was closest to SVP), but it was Nuendo that gelled with me the most.

You have to decide for you.

rsp
sound sculptist

Zexila wrote:Cubase, don't like how S1 looks at all. :tu:
KingofBeers wrote:S1, don't like how Cubase looks at all. :tu:
That's basically how I feel. :party:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Judging from pics, i found the GUI of S1 v3 ugly too, but, it's much better when you actualy use it. ;) Still feels a bit crowded due to the lack of contrast between the sections sometimes, but, it isn't half bad really. At least, when you used v2, you have no problem operating it really.
zvenx wrote: I haven't switched, I still use Cubendo and use S1 PRo for the occasional beta testing, however S1 Pro was developed by former SB engineers. And it shows, I can easily understand S1 without ever seeing a tutorial or reading a manual.
Yep, i feel the same too. It's IMO the nearest to Cubase's wokflow from the DAW's i tried. Ableton was the furthest. :P (ok, FL Studio even more so)

jasco wrote:Studio One, because I don't own Cubase :hihi:
Same here.

What I love about Studio One is that it has very smart freeze. You can move, copy or slice the frozen parts and then convert them back into instrument channels at any time, also you may freeze with or without effects. This makes working with CPU heavy VSTis or something like Virus TI very comfortable. Afaik in Cubase when you freeze something you can't do anything at all with the frozen part before you unfeeze it again.

The GUI of S1 is not as pretty as Cubase but far from ugly, to me it is kind of neutral - I don't notice it at all when working in it (though it seems to look worse in v. 3 - I didn't upgrade from 2.6). When we talk about ugly DAWs nothing can beat Live imo.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Indeed, the freeze is the best feature from my short sojourns into S1.......Keep hoping it inspires Cubase to follow suit.
rsp
sound sculptist

S1 much better price policy: I don't like to pay every few month for bug fixes so my last Cubase was 6.5
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”