Good Sfz editor for Sforzando?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a good Sfz editor for Sforzando, something that will speed up the process of making Sfz files while being compatible with Sforzando. I've tried a few editors, but the resulting Sfz files were kind of buggy in Sforzando and my guess is that most people will use it for their Sfz needs.

Thank you!

I use sfzed to make the basic maps of which sample goes where, then Notepad to add the controls to the master sections and do a lot of search-replace when tweaking. Works pretty fast - I got all the thousands of samples in SM Drums mapped in a week or two, just doing a bit at a time every couple of days after work. And it hasn't been buggy at all, even when I do unison mappings which involve some weird stuff or having the same sample used by hundreds of regions.

DSmolken wrote:I use sfzed to make the basic maps of which sample goes where, then Notepad to add the controls to the master sections and do a lot of search-replace when tweaking. Works pretty fast - I got all the thousands of samples in SM Drums mapped in a week or two, just doing a bit at a time every couple of days after work. And it hasn't been buggy at all, even when I do unison mappings which involve some weird stuff or having the same sample used by hundreds of regions.
Thank you for your reply! Could you tell me what is the code to set the ADSR in notepad? I know I can set it in Sfzed, but I'm curious to know how it's done in the notepad (text editor).

Here are the relevant opcodes from the cello - this uses AHDSR assigned to MIDI CC.

Code: Select all

<control>label_cc100=Attack
label_cc101=Hold  
label_cc102=Decay  
label_cc103=Sustain
label_cc104=Release 

set_cc100=12
set_cc101=0
set_cc102=16
set_cc103=127
set_cc104=25

<global>
ampeg_attack=0.001 //Basic AHDSR
ampeg_sustain=0
ampeg_release=0.001
ampeg_decay=0.001
ampeg_attack_oncc100=0.3 //This is the default - in the map files it's also set to shorter for staccato, longer for legato notes
ampeg_hold_oncc101=1 
ampeg_decay_oncc102=6 //Much shorter for staccato
ampeg_sustain_oncc103=100
ampeg_release_oncc104=2
If you just wanted fixed values for ADSR, that would go under global:

Code: Select all

<global>
ampeg_attack=0.1
ampeg_decay=0.5
ampeg_sustain=75
ampeg_release=0.3

This is exactly what I needed, thank you!

Glad to help out. If you grab the Aria Free Sounds, you can learn a lot about how they've set up various parameters and controls, especially the Garritan instruments which get pretty sophisticated. There's also my Karoryfer stuff, which is open source so you can borrow whatever you want.

FYI, for those mapping .sfz on Mac, the free TextMate workflow is fast to quickly copy/paste .wav file names, and interacts well with sforzando. Other free Mac editors are Adobe's Brackets, and BBEdit TextWrangler.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I've found a new way to make fully functioning sfz files that works pretty much everywhere:

1. I map the samples in Kontakt 4 and save the patch only without the absolute path checked
2. I convert the K4 instrument to Sfz in Translator 6
3. Result: I now have a Sfz that works flawlessly in all the sfz players out there, even Zampler!

I can ad my own ADSR in a text editor after that. So far, that's the fastest way I've found to create fully functional sfz patches.

That's cheating you have to write every line of sfz by hand! ;P

Seriously that is clever thanks for sharing.

Nothing wrong with short cuts. (I've written batch scripts, or even *nix bash scripts, to transform a set of well-named files into SFZ-mapped samples. I detest poorly named samples - they make you do real work.)

pljones wrote:Nothing wrong with short cuts. (I've written batch scripts, or even *nix bash scripts, to transform a set of well-named files into SFZ-mapped samples. I detest poorly named samples - they make you do real work.)
Me too! That's why I use Bulk Rename Utility all the time, it's very useful when you want to have a coherent & uniform filename convention.

I've written Kontakt 4 in my process, but Kontakt 5 will do the trick as long as your instruments are saved has "patch only" with "absolute path" unchecked.

I'm using a text editor that I've configured to be the default app to open an SFZ. I'm surprised how easy it's been so far :hihi:

I've really enjoyed the two beginners videos from Plogue's David:
part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFs524KrGc

part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIRegt32o0

Wondering what to learn next? I'm considering recording single stanton plucks on an old spanish guitar, so naturally I need to know about round-robins and keyswitches. I'm very much a n00b to this, so I even need help with best practices and so on.

Are there other videos out there that I can use to learn these next steps? Or even an 'ultimate' no nonsense plain-english document I can study. How did you learn? What's the best reference doc that covers all the newer Plogue additions to SFZ?

I've not used the gui-based free SFZ makers that are mentioned in this thread - should I?
Last edited by Pytchblend on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

in the past I've used SFZs which consist of many multisamples but all in one single WAV file, which makes things much easier to organise. Does anyone know of a tool which will pack up seperate WAV samples into a single one for use in SFZ (and maintain the mapping regions etc.)?
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

A million and one questions...

Are multisamples a thing? I'm only guessing about how they work. Are they like a single file sample pack - like you can hide in inside an SF2? or is like an Akai old-skool kinda deal? Something else I need to learn - someone point me to a primer? How can I make them, extract them, or why should I bother? I've noticed that some samples in the wild are touted as multisamples, but I thought that meant it had handy loop points somehow (how?) built in. So now I'm thinking that the multisample format (is that real thing?) has the regions built-in as metadata? I've seen the term Rex. Is this the same?

Back on SFZ - http://www.drealm.info/sfz/plj-sfz.xhtml mentions the start position or "Offset". This start position can be moved a fixed number of samples further on, using offset (0 to 4Gb). Also, the end position can be moved before the end of file, using end (0 to 4Gb, or -1 meaning the sample will not play), which gives the offset from the start of the file to the last sample to play.

Anyone got an example SFZ multisampled affair I can have a look at?

Can the multisample and the sfz file be bundled into a single big SFZ file like an SF2?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”