Bad hands - need hand hacks

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been developing increasingly bad tremors in both hands. It's med-related and the medical name is "fine intentional tremor" - which means that the tremor increases the more I try to push through. It used to be once or twice a week, now it's like every day. Hitting something as big as a key on my keyboard is hard - I can't hold my hand steady on the keys. Any work on my DAW or VSTs is almost impossible as I cannot get my cursor to center on those teeny little fields. Trying to change the tuning on something like Massive is so frustrating because the cursor just swims all over the place.

I can take another med to help tone it down, but that is relatively short-lived and it makes me sleepy.

Has anyone ever built anything that helps support and steady your hands on the keyboard?

Hi SODDI,

I too thought about how to make myself comfortable while in front of a PC.I write some things down that are working pretty well for me.

LCD Monitor position is important,i don't like to look down all the time that's why i'm using a monitor mount for a table.
A standard mouse is horrible for much editing tasks,the clicking should be light and it should be precise.
I purchased a Logitech G502 and this mouse is a bliss to work with.
The Logitech has a mousewheel feature witch let you unlock the wheel for freely scrolling,i didn't think that would be that useful for me.

For a typing keyboard i bought a Apple Keyboard,it's slim and i like the light buttons.

For a double click emulation using a keyboard it is easy to write a simple script in Autohotkey.
http://ahkscript.org/
It's possible to emulate any clicks,for example emulating a left click while holding a key on a keyboard you can draw using the mouse without clicking or holding anything on the mouse.

For a music keyboard i like a small keyboard,I think the best in this range is the CME XKey.
The keys are very light so it should be fairly easy to work with.

Now this stuff is in front of me,small,lightweight and compact for the usual editing and that was the main reason why i bought it.

Daily training is also very important for the arms and the body, :wink:

Hope i inspired you a little bit :-)
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

in my experience,

you can't "fix" problems with a system that was designed for many duties that arise from singular application.

the yi jin jing is a *very* *very* low stress "exercise" designed for meditating monks, similar to modern DAW users. the forms are really just "standing with your arms up" et c.

i think you will have much better results reconditioning your entire frame than trying to keep doing one thing. any form of exercise where you raise your hands above your shoulders (eg. picking fruit from trees) is going to be beneficial. laugh or ignore if you want,

imo one of the best ways to immediately connect is to do a hand stand, or otherwise put your body weight on your spead hands on the ground. you will immediately feel all the stresses from repetitive movement.

sure, meds may be something else but i figure they probably emphasise stresses that are present anyways.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Once I saw a guitar player with the same problem. He wore gloves to play the guitar. I do not remember exactly why the gloves helped but they did. Without gloves his hand was shaking with gloves his hand was almost still. The glove was the the type of gloves which fit perfect on the hand like latex or something but slightly thicker.
rabbit in a hole

Does a wristpad help?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”