News from fxpansion >GEIST 2<

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Geist

I agree with the taiko expansion idea. I just bought the 2 cinematic expansions on sale and they're really nice, but I'd still like some taikos. It seems like it would be easy to take a few samples from BFD and make a Taiko expansion. In fact I'd like to see more percussion expansions in general.

With the new transmod system it is easier to simulate round robins and velocity layers, so I think they should make more acoustic style percussion.

I'm part way through planning some kind of Taiko+Kabuki pack. No promises, so if it doesn't come to fruition you can't hang me!
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote:I'm part way through planning some kind of Taiko+Kabuki pack. No promises, so if it doesn't come to fruition you can't hang me!
Whoa, that sounds even better. I'm going to keep subscribed to this thread so you can
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ha ha suck it!

The percussion extensions are ok but not really such great as some competitors libs eg. from 8dio. I have this Cinematic Percussion and always miss Taikos, Framedrum ensembles and all this stuff. I think besides having a great drum sampler FXpansion should also improve their libraries.
So I agree that Taikos etc. are really missing this time.

4damind wrote:The percussion extensions are ok but not really such great as some competitors libs eg. from 8dio. I have this Cinematic Percussion and always miss Taikos, Framedrum ensembles and all this stuff. I think besides having a great drum sampler FXpansion should also improve their libraries.
So I agree that Taikos etc. are really missing this time.
I really like and use both Cinematic expansions quite a bit, they have really great sound. I own the Spitfire Albion Darwins, which feature Taiko, plus Stormdrum...but I have a feeling Geist is going to have a better tone. I want a punchy-yet-just-the-right-level-of-boomy sound right out of the box, and Geist is the go to for that imo.

I also own the Evolution Taiko, allow me to warn EVERYONE away from that crashing mess.
Ha ha suck it!

bhy wrote: As far as I can tell, only Breaktweaker, Tremor and a small number of Reaktor ensembles (e.g. Massive) let you have triplets and straight notes in the same sequencer/engine.
How do you use triplets and straight notes in the sequencer in Tremor?

In Geist, you can use the repeat tool and set it to 3 for a triplet, haven't used Tremor for a long while but I think it's the same in Tremor, but all 3 always trigger, it's a stutter really.

kiezum wrote:
bhy wrote: As far as I can tell, only Breaktweaker, Tremor and a small number of Reaktor ensembles (e.g. Massive) let you have triplets and straight notes in the same sequencer/engine.
How do you use triplets and straight notes in the sequencer in Tremor?
In Tremor you can adjust the playback speed for each sequencer lane individually.
In the Synth page, in the Mixer panel, click "Show Setup" and drag up and down on the two Tempo fields.

I'm not sure, but I believe if you set the tempo to 3/4 and then adjust the length of the sequencer lane to a multiple of 3, this should give triplets. Experimentation is advised.

Now it's about half a year since the release of Geist 2.
What's your take on it now? Is it all that it was hyped up to be? All bugs are ironed out?
A shimmering diamond or a meh?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:Now it's about half a year since the release of Geist 2.
What's your take on it now? Is it all that it was hyped up to be? All bugs are ironed out?
A shimmering diamond or a meh?

/C

been using renoise/redux more lately. will probably get into geist2 more in a few months.

renoise just offers so much control at the event level. different environment for sure but refreshing as well.

dayjob wrote:been using renoise/redux more lately. will probably get into geist2 more in a few months.

renoise just offers so much control at the event level. different environment for sure but refreshing as well.
Damn, I wish I could have kept using Renoise because I love the built in stuff and in general, it is awesome. Problem is that I wanted to hang myself after using the sequencer for more than 5 minutes. I so envy you.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote:
dayjob wrote:been using renoise/redux more lately. will probably get into geist2 more in a few months.

Damn, I wish I could have kept using Renoise because I love the built in stuff and in general, it is awesome. Problem is that I wanted to hang myself after using the sequencer for more than 5 minutes. I so envy you.
i'm dabbling in it really but i find that w/just a handful of sounds and some FX i can layout a song or idea and export it if needed or go deeper w/all the FX commands and stuff. so, i try to use it for what's it known/good for and go from there. it's certainly capable of a lot. every time i use it i figure something else out and i'm enjoying that aspect of it. it's fun make things while learning something new.

i don't finish tracks in it or anything like that. it's, so far, a very serious starting place and i expect it will become more than that since it rewires the brain a little ;)

my advice is to just pick 3 to 5 sounds. it's easier for me to keep track of that way and i find i duplicate a track/sample and then change it in the sampler and do things like loop really short pieces of the sample and add fx and filters and it morphs into something else. it's really quite powerful and friendly to do that kind of stuff and easy to add in a bit of randomness. stacking modulators is great. it will mix the waveforms some you can get some really interesting modulations by putting two LFOs on one track... and it stays time/clock relevant. it's kind of modular in how it works.

i wish i'd gotten more into it sooner! i think trying to make it work or feel like a typical DAW is where people get frustrated. i tried to think about it that way at first and gave up and decided to just use it how it likes to be used. it's elegant.

and speaking of being elegant i think that's where geist2 needs tweaks. it doesn't _yet_ feel elegant to me so i must need to adjust working methods and figure out how to best use it. it's quite powerful too but in a different way. it's very visual and that's a nice thing sometimes.

Thanks for the motivation. I might just try to fire it up again, but If I go through with hanging myself, it's on your head. :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote:Thanks for the motivation. I might just try to fire it up again, but If I go through with hanging myself, it's on your head. :hihi:
lols. just render/export all the tracks when you near the breaking point.. open geist2.. adjust tempo.. load the files.. slice.. rearrange.. go!

I tried searching, but couldn't find any info: Does anyone know how the Free Expanders deal works? I mean, if I buy it (new) from a third party will I still get those freebies? I found a deal on a combo of Geist and Tremor, but Tremor is secondary to me. But it's a great deal if I get the 2 free expanders still.

Return to “Instruments”