Serum vs Rapid

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RAPID Synthesizer Serum

The point is, that plugin software company's could life without have heavy prices and they all get enough money to feed there family.

Taurus wrote:The point is, that plugin software company's could life without have heavy prices and they all get enough money to feed there family.

That's your opinion, and what they charge for their software is their own business. Don't like it, don't buy it, but please spare us the rubbish and stop derailing this thread.

Taurus wrote:The point is, that plugin software company's could life without have heavy prices and they all get enough money to feed there family.
There are so many quality freeware vsts, you don't have to buy the newest and the shiniest synths.

starflakeprj wrote:To put my 2 cents in this conversation (regarding pricing of software, or any product for that matter). A product's value is exactly as much as the consumer is willing to pay for it. It doesn't mean that everyone thinks it worth the money, of course, but as long as "enough" people are buying the software, there is no reason for the developer to lower the price.

I'm also sure about the fact that it's the honest consumers who are the ones who finances software piracy, by paying for either the "pre-calculated" loss of software piracy, or for the developing of a trusty anti-piracy layer within the software, like for instance iLok.

I don't know where I was going with this, sorry :)
You're absolutely right. Thankfully, we have a broad range of products and prices, so, i, as a customer, can decide whether to buy or not. :) Won't lie though, of course, as merely a hobbyist, i won't be as much the projected target market, as the people who probably have less of a problem with shelling out 200 € for a soft synth. I only can argue from my point of view. IMO, a soft synth should cost 120-130 €, max, if it is really well featured. And, i think, if it is reasonable popular, that will be enough to pay the bills in any case. Anyway, due to the points you made, it's pointless to discuss about that anyway. I can also understand that people coming from a hardware background, as Orbit-50 pointed out, will consider software as inexpensive and easy in comparison anyway. But then, so are DAW's compared to a fully fledged hardware studio, and, obviously, you also don't have hardware costs.

Why do you automatically assume that just because a developer has a software they sell, they make millions selling it?

I know a few developers, and none of them can live on the money they make on the software. For them it's just extra money on top of what they already earn on their (sometimes) full time jobs.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I worked many years as software developer and no one have done this as a second job. Where do you came from? I have heard in the usa live people who must do different jobs to get there money. If this is right it must be a hard life and I have compassion with those people. That are really poor humans.

But this is the wrong place to discuss this.

At the end of the day, I love Rapid but I don't want to pay so much money for a plugin.

Taurus wrote:I worked many years as software developer and no one have done this as a second job. Where do you came from? I have heard in the usa live people who must do different jobs to get there money. If this is right it must be a hard life and I have compassion with those people. That are really poor humans.
I live in Sweden, the promised land of high taxes :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Greetings from Germany, the unofficial eu-leader with no plan :-)

Thumbs up for Germany and Sweden :tu: :D

your mom vs your dad. isn't it better to have both? :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Mirko R. wrote:Wavetable and Sampleimport will be available soon for RAPID. Serum has no multisamples, only two oscs with max 256 Wavetable position and no interpolation between it, less FX, more aliasing (it's hard to create aliasing in RAPID).
Look at this review and try to compare it again. For me there is no reason for a discussion. RAPID is not only the winner,... RAPID plays in another league.

Have you ever actually looked at Serum before? It has multisamples and allows you to easily create them from scratch or through various loading modes. drag and dropping audio files from your daw browser. It has multiple methods of interpolation which you may add yourself in the wavetable editor. I've never looked at Rapid before but it's not cool with me that you're shitting on a great product without knowing some of the basics of its functionality. I've never heard aliasing problems in Serum. Also, srsly, what are you going to do with more than 256 frames in your wavetable?? If rapid does that I don't even see the point.

newtheta wrote: Have you ever actually looked at Serum before? It has multisamples and allows you to easily create them from scratch or through various loading modes.
Are you sure about that?
Perhaps you are confused about the term "MultiSample" and how its implemented in Rapid?

I mean Serum doesn't appear to have key-ranges that can be mapped to trigger different samples based on whatever key is being played so it can't really be described in those terms. MultiCycle yes but not MultiSample.

I am not criticizing Serum though, it does what it does very well indeed.

I choose serum because of payments in instalments.

I would buy Rapid if I was not already 80$ in with Serum rent-to-own (started it almost two years ago). Definitely more musical for me, more usable in my real world (when making music). Love the old school bitmap GUI too.

Eventhough I've meanwhile got enough time to test Rapid, I'd go with Serum again and again. Or now probably even with Phase Plant by Kilohearts.

Return to “Instruments”