Confused about the Bank/Perf/Prog layering if someone can help

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've read the manual a couple of times and still can't get my head around the procedure for saving. And after doing some sampling, I'm still unsure how best to do it. I've been saving as programs without saving performances or groups.

So for example - I want to create individual single group instruments. Each instrument is based around one sample spread across the keyboard. So really really simple, I don't want to know anything more advanced right now, but I'm unsure what I should save under and if I have to save multiple layers of heirarchy performance/bank for every program.

Then loads of questions:
Why do slices/waves stay open from all previous programs if I have a new program open?

Do I need to load a new bank at start up and save a bank every time?

If bank is the whole sampler saved with all options, is there not a way to load a default bank?

Are sound controls saved per bank or per program? Can I transfer sound controls from one group in one program, to another group in another program?

Where does the drop down list of programs appear from? Does it only show recently opened programs? Or can it show the programs within a folder?

I'd like to drop a sample into the keyboard mapping, and auto-detect pitch, with pitch set to 'normal'. I've enabled every auto-detect pitch button in keyboard mapping and wave editing, and still this doesn't happen. It also defaults back every time I create a new program… So confused.

I also own Kontakt, so maybe there's an analogy for each function.. But I know this program is powerful but my workflow with it is extremely slow right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jumpercable wrote:I've read the manual a couple of times and still can't get my head around the procedure for saving. And after doing some sampling, I'm still unsure how best to do it. I've been saving as programs without saving performances or groups.

So for example - I want to create individual single group instruments. Each instrument is based around one sample spread across the keyboard. So really really simple, I don't want to know anything more advanced right now, but I'm unsure what I should save under and if I have to save multiple layers of heirarchy performance/bank for every program.

Then loads of questions:
Why do slices/waves stay open from all previous programs if I have a new program open?

A program is a single "instrument", i.e. a collection of samples and sound settings. A performance maps one or more of these to slots (i.e. MIDI channels and outputs, volume, pan fx etc), thus you typically have many of these loaded. So loading a program does not remove any previously loaded ones. In fact, you can use program change on slot level to switch mapped programs "in flight" (or even daw automation, if the host handled MIDI programs correctly).

Similarly, you can have multiple performances (i.e. mapping setups) loaded at once, and switch between these as well.
The only element that is exclusive is the bank.
Do I need to load a new bank at start up and save a bank every time?
You don't need to save the bank if you don't care about stuff like controller setups, more than one performance etc. Also, the bank (and all else) is stored in you DAW project. Saving bank/perf/program to disk is only needed if you want to reuse instruments etc.

If bank is the whole sampler saved with all options, is there not a way to load a default bank?
Bank does not contain any options. That is settings. Banks contain the full set of samples/progs/perfs + controller and automation setups though.
Are sound controls saved per bank or per program? Can I transfer sound controls from one group in one program, to another group in another program?
Sound controls are per group, and saved with the program. There is no copy sound settings between groups, but you can duplicate groups, and also copy them to other programs.
Where does the drop down list of programs appear from? Does it only show recently opened programs? Or can it show the programs within a folder?
The slot drop downs show the currently loaded programs. Use the file browser to list, preview and load programs in folders.
I'd like to drop a sample into the keyboard mapping, and auto-detect pitch, with pitch set to 'normal'. I've enabled every auto-detect pitch button in keyboard mapping and wave editing, and still this doesn't happen. It also defaults back every time I create a new program… So confused.
The keyboard mapper only operates on "pitch" as defined by the loaded wave meta data, i.e. root info. If you import a sample with no root info, you need to either set it manually (in wave or as a root override in the mapping split), or you can use the "detect pitch" command in the wave editor to find the pitch (does of course not always work).
I also own Kontakt, so maybe there's an analogy for each function.. But I know this program is powerful but my workflow with it is extremely slow right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all my questions and this has been very helpful to me! Things are starting to click now.

I use Ableton Live 9.7.1, but I cant change the performance with a program change (TX16Wx 2.4.2e).
The 'Program change mode' is on 'Perfomance'.

What can I do?

Return to “CWITEC”