How to make your synth sound FFFFAAAATTTTT

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a trick to make any synth sound fat. But especially Synthmaster, which sounds absolutely awesome with it.

The whole purpose of this is to add a lot of warmth and saturation to the timbre, so that it sounds less sterile.
For this I stack a bunch of free plugins, you can use any variation of plugins you want, but I find these work for me.
They are stacked in the following order, from bottom to top:
- Synthmaster
- VOS BootEQ Mk II
- Klanghelm MJUCJr
- VOS ThrillSeekerLA
- my DAW equalizer
- vladg Limiter n°6

BootEQ: I use it to enhance the bass. I add +4 to LF at 70 Hz.
MJUCJr: first level of compression +15 compress, +8 Makeup, Fast
ThrillSeekerLA: compression + amplification (be careful with this one as you can easily saturate the rest of the chain). +9 input and -3 output
Equalizer: low cut at 35 Hz, 18 db/oct (i.e 3 pole filter) or more to remove extreme subbass. You can also enhance the bass by a couple of dB at 40 dB, but don't overdo it, since we've already increased the bass with BootEQ. The sound is at risk of muddiness.
Limiter n°6: compressor -6dB input, 1.6 ratio, dry mix -20dB; peak limiter in soft mode, -1 dB threshold; clipper on

These are indications based on my tests but you can modify these to your taste. Make sure you don't saturate the input of each plugin, - in particular with ThrillSeekerLA -, else you will get degradation of the sound. So it's good to reduce the gain output of a plugin or the input of the following one. The limiter is also there as a security to protect your ears and speakers during your tweakings. With the settings above, the sound level is roughly doubled compared to Synthmaster alone.

That stack will add a latency of 1024 samples and use up quite a bit of CPU, but with it I get great sounds out of most synthesizers, and I find that Synthmaster sounds pretty amazing, so it's well worth the trouble. :phones:

Feel free to share the result of your own experiments and recipes in this thread. :tu:

PS: To compare before and after, of course, you must be at equal volume, as the ear often favors the loudest sound, regardless of quality. So you should check with a plugin that shows the volume. I use ToneBoosters EBULoundness (not free), but there are free plugins that give those statistics.

You could use ToneBooster ReelTape only to achieve similar results.

Why don't you try and program the 'fatness' directly into the wave itself?

Using wave editor + filter with overdrive.. and then anything else that'll help.

Return to “KV331 Audio”