filter cutoff : show frequency instead of value from 0 to 10

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

when turning the cutoff of i.e. filter A, is it possible to show the frequency instead of a value from 0 to 10? In previous versions this was the case I believe?

Would it make sense to display the frequency value though? If you modify the global cutoff e.g., the value won't be correct anymore anyway.

Guess you're right about that for the global cutoff ...

but regarding the global cutoff one I'm wondering how it manipulates the cutoff A and cutoff B ... let's say cutoff A is set to 1000Hz with a LP filter), then what does the global cutoff do with this 1000Hz frequency, when it moves from 0 to 10?

Maybe I should just use my ears of course, but I try to better understand this global cutoff :-)

whasssaaahhh wrote: Maybe I should just use my ears of course, but I try to better understand this global cutoff :-)
Me too. Since pretty much the beginning. :D I never really looked into the manual though, it might be explained thoroughly there. What i especially don't understand is the threshold where the filter cutoff is fully closed.

Hi,

The global cutoff knob controls both filter A and filter B cutoff. The values are simply added. So with Cutoff A and B set on a certain position, adjusting the global cutoff knob will just adjust Cutoff A and B from those positions.

Because the cutoff can also be modulated via many things like velocity, envelopes and lfos, it would be impossible to display the actual cutoff frequency.

But it would be possible to display the freq that filters A and B are set to, their root position if you like, prior to any modulation, surely? It would be just a quick mathematical conversion from the existing linear scale.

If no modulation is used at all and keytrack is 0, the frequency still depends on both the filter A and fitler Ctrl knobs, so even then it still wouldn't make much sense.

Of course it would be possible to just add those values and calculate the 'real' base frequency, but then the frequency could still be very different at a certain position of Cutoff A (depending on the position of the filter Ctrl knob). And that's definitely not what you want.

Yes, I understand. I was playing devil's advocate to some extent. I don't think I've ever set a synth filter by using the freq value (even if it is displayed) as it's always by ear. The same would apply for equalisation unless there is a specific freq I know needs attention. Numeric values just help us get a feel for relative positioning in a range and as long as the resolution is good enough, any scale will do.

Return to “LennarDigital”