Error with new Update

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys!

I would be really really thankful if someone can help me with this problem.
I used my Sylenth a long time without doing any updates...but yesterday needed to update because I wanted to used a new soundbank. After the update Cubase crashes when I open a project where I used the new version of Sylenth1. I get an error message when opening the project:

"Error at hooking API "NtProtectVirtualMemory" Dumping first 32 bytes: 4C 8B D1 B8 4D 00 00 00 0F 05 C3 0F1F 44 00 00 4C 8B D1 B8 4E 00 00 00 0F 05 C3 0F1F 44 00 00
(added screenshot)

My current Sylenth1 version: 3.0.2.8
Operating system: Windows 7 with Cubase 8

I tried many things like reinstalling sylenth1, deactivating und reactiving my licence...

Please can someone help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi,

This problem can be caused by some antivirus programs (Kaspersky or AVG) on Windows 7. Try uninstalling your virusscanner to check that this solves the issue. Then install a different virusscanner.
Kaspersky recently released an update which re-introduces an old bug of theirs which causes *ANY* product that hooks NtProtectVirtualMemory to crash certain applications like browsers, etc. Kaspersky silently blocks any product that uses NtProtectVirtualMemory and causes a crash, without any warning from the Kaspersky product.

So, have you solved your problem?
Amazing that the renowned Kaspersky - supposedly the best AV - does that 8) But switching the AV just because of this?! Won't Kaspersky remove the bug again? I suppose a lot of affected people have complained already...

It only happens on Windows 7 (it's recommended to upgrade to Windows 10 (or 8) either way).

And for some reason it seems to only occur in Cubase, not in other hosts on win7.

Best is NOD32 anyway or simply offline DAW where you go only online for updates.. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Best is NOD32 anyway or simply offline DAW where you go only online for updates.. :hihi:
I know it is off-topic, but according to AV Comparatives etc. Bitdefender is better, the best actually. And it is on sale currently, 3 years of their AV for 45 euros (for 3 devices) instead of 90 euros, VAT included. I think I will get that myself now as I noticed that Emsisoft has deteriorated quite a bit since I got it about half a year ago, several embarrassing false positives recently and decreased malware protection :P
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Use BitDefender on a daily basis then report back.. ..maybe not so happy anymore. :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Use BitDefender on a daily basis then report back.. ..maybe not so happy anymore. :lol:
I use Bitdefender Total Security on 5 systems on a daily basis and I'm totally happy. Never been infected and it's not prone to frequent false positives. I used Nod 32 years ago. It's not bad. I've also got Webroot Secure Anywhere on an old Win XP system. Not bad and low resources but is prone to kicking up warnings.

Anyway I suggest if you are running WinXP to try the Bitdefender demo first if possible. I'm running it on Win 10 times 4 and on one Win 7 system. This system is an old Core 2 Duo E8500 and it runs fine here (Win10). Like I said I'm very happy with Bitdefender but I would advise trying the demo first if at all possible.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Lennard wrote:And for some reason it seems to only occur in Cubase, not in other hosts on win7.
I get this error with Ableton Live 9.7 or Cantabile 2.0.0.2072 - I've also asked about this error (see my topic lower down the page).

The only solution was to uninstall v3 and install v2.21.

Ian88 wrote:I get this error with Ableton Live 9.7 or Cantabile 2.0.0.2072 - I've also asked about this error (see my topic lower down the page).

The only solution was to uninstall v3 and install v2.21.
Did you try uninstalling anti-virus software as suggested?

The problem is caused because some program on your computer is blocking the hook. It actually makes sense that it doesn't happen only in Cubase only. However, there are many Sylenth1 v3 users on Windows 7 and only a few are having this problem.

Did the error occur at any specific action, such as loading an older project that was created with Sylenth1 v2.x, or at inserting a new instance of Sylenth1? Or just randomly?

Lennard wrote:Did you try uninstalling anti-virus software as suggested?
I've just un-installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus from one laptop, installed trial versions of Cantabile and Sylenth v3 and all works as it should.

Installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2017 and Sylenth v3 still works OK, so maybe re-installing the anti-virus is the way to go.

Still have to try this with the PCs with Kaspersky Internet Security, but it should work.

Hey,

I deinstalled everything that has to do with antivirus.
I opened the project and everything worked fine. But when I opened the project the next day the problem was there again. I did not install some antivirus.

When I try to open Sylenth in another project it chrashes immediatly. But if it's a completely empty, new project it works fine. I also found out that when I deactivate Sylenth in an empty project I can open the other projects with Sylenth and can activate and work on it until I close and try to reopen it again.

I hope these informations help.

hm...anybody out there? :(

Oh, you still have that problem 3 weeks later?! :?
Sounds weird based on your description.
So, it does not have anything to do with your AV, right? After all, you said you have uninstalled the AV and never reinstalled it.

Have you tried this test?
http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/ ... p?tid=3008

Do you have a keylogger protection? I read that those cause such problems as well. Hitman Pro was mentioned on some forum.

Maybe you still have some components of your AV left on your computer even after uninstalling it. Or the AV changed Windows settings which were not undone during uninstallation. Sypbot for instance changes the Windows Hosts file.

FWIW, I had a bunch of complaints filed with various music products (DAW's, VSTi's), and I finally broke down, formatted my hard drive, and reinstalled Windows and everything else from scratch. Zero problems since. So... consider the nuclear option.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Return to “LennarDigital”