Anyone here have Korg legacy collection? how is it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

good call haha. I was thinking about getting another monitor anyway.

There are some things that I can say about the M1 and Wavestation.

I'd considered buying the Wavestation, but the sample browser is a mess. You have to choose a bank and scroll, and scroll, and scroll. I can't just say, "I want to make a marimba," and quickly find one like I can on the M1. There is no easy way to make sounds from scratch.

But it does sound really good. The Wavestation is one of the cleanest and best sounding software romplers I can find.

The M1 is all-around very good. It's no substitute for a hardware workstation because of how old it is, but it comes close, and at roughly $400-500 dollars cheaper. The sounds are a little dirty and in need of EQ, but it's surprising how usable it still is.

The M1 is the quintessential Super NES sound, and that's how you'll sound if you use only it.

I love the M1, but every time I hear it, I'm reminded of how much better the Trinity sounded.

djshire wrote:I currently only have the M1 and the Wavestation.

I love the sound of the Wavestation, I used it on my latest track.

One of these days, I'm going to make an entire track using the M1. I use the M1HousePiano preset all the time, even created my first "sample a chord and play it back in a sampler early 90s house/rave" sound using that the other day.
I knew I had already posted in this thread, I just couldn't remember when.

Add to that list the Wavestation and the Mony/Poly. I still use the M1 a lot, I love the sound of the Wavestation, and I think the Mono/Poly may be my new goto synth for vintage sounds.

Addendum: Mono/Poly as a poly synth, for a mono synth for vintage sounds I use U-he Repro
Last edited by djshire on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's the most cheap-90s sounding collection of synths I have on my hard drive .... and I love it !
Just something about the plasticcy sounds and combination of cheesy preset sounds (especially the Wavestation) that just makes me all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic.

The only two downsides for me with the collection is the fact you keeping having to re-activate each individual synth every few months (I'm seriously tempted to crack my legit copy just to remove this nonsense! ) and you'll need a good pair of glasses to see some of the settings what with the tiny GUI using nowadays' resolutions.

mcbpete wrote:It's the most cheap-90s sounding collection of synths I have on my hard drive .... and I love it !
Just something about the plasticcy sounds and combination of cheesy preset sounds (especially the Wavestation) that just makes me all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic.

The only two downsides for me with the collection is the fact you keeping having to re-activate each individual synth every few months (I'm seriously tempted to crack my legit copy just to remove this nonsense! ) and you'll need a good pair of glasses to see some of the settings what with the tiny GUI using nowadays' resolutions.
The korg legacy synths are sensitive to hardware changes in your computer. I noticed since I activated the plugin with the wifi off, whenever I turn the wifi on it becomes deactivated

Eeeek I hope that doesn't happen the reverse way round. I've always activated it with wifi on, and if I use it in a live setup it'll be on my machine with the wifi turned off. Better test that out now in case that happens - thanks for the heads up !

mcbpete wrote:Eeeek I hope that doesn't happen the reverse way round. I've always activated it with wifi on, and if I use it in a live setup it'll be on my machine with the wifi turned off. Better test that out now in case that happens - thanks for the heads up !
No problem. I think even OS updates and driver updates will also deactivate it

Hell, Korg Legacy needed reactivation even after disconnecting my usb audio interface. Got so sick and tired of it and did what had to be done.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Hell, Korg Legacy needed reactivation even after disconnecting my usb audio interface. Got so sick and tired of it and did what had to be done.
So what did you have to do? Activate it? :hihi:

Odd. I've never had any of those issues (I have the analog edition with M/P, P6 etc). My DAW is online only for a few minutes a month to install updates, then I disable the wifi and networking. I've also done all sorts of USB stuff: new hub, new audio interface, third monitor on USB etc and the Korg synths have always been fine.

Great sounds. I used to own some of the hardware back in the day. Small GUI, I had many crashes in FL Studio 12.3 and non existent support. I have Bitwig as well and so far it worked okay, though I didn't use it much.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

The IOS version of the M1 is good...the new IOS version of the Wavestation is Great! I have a still lingering hope that they will do something nice for the VST versions eventually.

https://youtu.be/sKXIPwYw2LE

:tu:
바보

mcbpete wrote:It's the most cheap-90s sounding collection of synths I have on my hard drive .... and I love it !
Lots of bang for the buck, especially compared to what we paid for the hardware.

Richard deHove wrote:Odd. I've never had any of those issues (I have the analog edition with M/P, P6 etc). My DAW is online only for a few minutes a month to install updates, then I disable the wifi and networking. I've also done all sorts of USB stuff: new hub, new audio interface, third monitor on USB etc and the Korg synths have always been fine.
Neither have I. I've had the digital edition for ten years, and I've never had to reactivate for anything other than OS reinstalls and the like.

ew
A spectral heretic...

They are one of the best emulations on the market .Ive owned an M1 and Wavestation and still own my 30 year old MS-20.Soundwise they are spot on.Bad points Korg please make resizable gui's we are not Smurfs.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Return to “Instruments”