One Synth Challenge #94: Synth1 (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Appreciated sentiments from Taron. Very supportive. It's also very kind of him to potentially donate his prize to zarf effectively, who is very deserving of it. :hail:

I came in at lucky #13, how interesting given my latest track called Friday the 13th. This is a much better score compared to last time, and in this OSC I've especially learned that I need to focus much more on musical variation. I'm very grateful for this insight.

This goes in the general osc thread, but yes in my opinion allowing commercial plugins would only bring benefits, considering this context. The competition appears to me to be founded on a premise of a fascination of synthesis :love: with minimal external processing, in the first place.
quick, _ake what you want in life

I've place 24 here on this page:

23 WYG_E - C.S.F.T.C. 161 pts
24 Cruba - Collruthban 161 pts
25 jmqjmq - Jumbo(osc94) 160 pts

results on google page say I've place 27

https://archive.org/embed/OSC94Synth1&p ... height=480#

It's cos of the dq's you can't fix in the google score?
Last edited by Cruba on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Congrats to the winners.

No surprises again. Everything is as it should be. :tu: Excellent work from all participants. Thats why my lowest score was 2 point. Because I need to separate my own track from all others. Thats lead me to score system. As previosly proposed to adjust scoring a little a have small idea. What about adding 0 point score wich is mainly be used for rating our own track. Instead 1 points we have to use 0 point category. It is weird for me add points (even 1) to my own track (sounds like cheating :lol: ). This will also create space for "haters" a and more variations in overall score.

Ya, I've been updating the archive stuff, give it a few days, they will all be fixed / corrected
Cruba wrote:I've place 24 here on this page:

23 WYG_E - C.S.F.T.C. 161 pts
24 Cruba - Collruthban 161 pts
25 jmqjmq - Jumbo(osc94) 160 pts

results on google page say I've place 27

https://archive.org/embed/OSC94Synth1&p ... height=480#

It's cos of the dq's you can't fix in the google score?

Bj: Np, was just an I'm new here question... ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

I've a problem to score music in one. Maybe too complicate, but I would prefer a detailed ratingsystem. Why? First of all I can't rate music genres I don't like really fair. Ther's this man in your head whispering uhhh Trap, you hate trap. You know it! lol

The next big problem, some songs I maybe don't like that mich, but the arrangement is so superb, should I really give just 2 points for the whole background while the arrangement is over 5 points?

Last, but most hard to vote for me: I've a sound fetish. Means, some music I just listen cos of one brilliant sounding guitar or just for the voice of a singer. I've a slogan: A singer I like could sing any shit song, but the best song will not push a bad singer. ;)

My ratingsystem will split maybe 10 points you could reach, because the additional question is: Do we rate the synth handling or the song? Could you really be that objective to rate a really bad song 5 points cos the sounds are so well designed?

congrats, and no surprise since I gave 5 and one 4 to all the winners, great music, but I gave 5 also to
"34 RuediRena - Bierccident 145 pts"
really I love that track, and it also sounds good in my monitors. Sorry to see it so low in the scores.

Cruba wrote:...Do we rate the synth handling or the song? Could you really be that objective to rate a really bad song 5 points cos the sounds are so well designed?
There have been lots of really useful thoughts on this in the past from people like Jasinski, Z`, Taron, BJ and many others (sorry to not mention names of other great helpful OSCers, there are lots). I don't have any links for you unfortunately, (that is something I intend to do someday, sometime :) )

My simple interpretation of the advice that I have found useful is try to make your score reflect all of these somehow:
Sound design - are there good quality sounds from the synth appropriate for the style?
Composition/arrangement - is the music coherent and 'good' for what it is (even if not your taste)?
Mixing & mastering - is it 'well presented' for the style of music that it is?
Interest/surprises/magic moments - are there any 'wow' moments, or parts that really catch your attention etc?
Your taste and enjoyment - simply how much you like and enjoy the track too!

...For me, how to turn that into a rating 1-5 is very hard, but a 'really bad song' with great sounds probably wouldn't do well on most of those, so it would not be a 5 in my book...

I'm no expert, hope this helps!

What a beautifull morning!

Coming in my office and after checking my bussines e-mails I first checked if the results for the OSC are in. And they are :D :hyper: :D

What else can I say than a big THANK YOU :love: :hug:

My deepest congratulations to Taron, J.Ruegg, Brainzistor and Yeager for your top places. :clap: :tu:

When I looked to the spreadsheet I saw that Jasinksi also had 203 points. So it would have been a triple with same score!

Normaly I am not a man many words. My postings are always short (my postings in German forums are always short too). But Taron gave some very good statements, where I want to add my comments.
My style of music is also quite oldschool and different to some many of your entries. Nevertheless, this round proofs that one has a chance for a good place with any style of music. And like Taron I am very happy that the majority of you do accept and appreciate this. I think it is great to see so different use of the synth each month. It is like playing Beethoven, Jerry Lee Lewis or Herbie Hancock on the same piano. It is the same instrument, but complete different style. And this variety shows the capacity of each synth each month!
When I started in the OSC, I had no certain style and I wanted to sound more modern. Over the time I found more and more what I really like and feel when I make my own music. I never wanted to sound like someone else. OK, some tracks sound very close to Vangelis! But I do not want to sound like him. It just happens and it is part of me. Because I grew up with his music and his sounds and they became part of my musical landscape and imagination.
So I do believe that everyone is automatically improving and strengthening his musical potential by following his own feelings and perceptions.

Before I go back to business: I will take Modelonia v2 as prize!

Spotify/itunes: no problem! Would be interessting to see if we got any plays there. Thanx to rghvdberg for making this possible! :tu:

Thanx again !
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Congratulations to all.
A bunch of top quality tracks. :tu:

Congratulations to the winners! So many good tracks! I wonder what compositions can people write using only one synth.
Personally, I liked the composition from CymaticCreation / Dreamforgestar and I'm surprised that the author is not in the list of winners.

Congratulation to the winners!

And thank you, liqih, for your kind words.

big tracks this time around, congrats to all, esp winners. really thought many of the tunes stood out above a one-synth composition. props to 574X who made one of the most dope bass sounds I've heard in awhile.

hopefully see you lot in the future.

asi4 wrote: Personally, I liked the composition from CymaticCreation / Dreamforgestar and I'm surprised that the author is not in the list of winners.

Thanks mate, :hug:

Congrats to everyone :party:
My birthday was on 13th January, 2 days later I'm in top 5, there goes my birthday gift from KVR. :D :band2:

dq means disqualified? why?

Return to “Instruments”