Dom, can you please explain the reasoning behind the new pricing model?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I thought a little more about this new pricing model and I don't know if it has already been said by someone else but I think Bitwig's team could restore the user's faith (like a lot of you I was really disappointed by the 159€ for 12 months) by putting in place some sort of "degressive price renewal" after your 12 months ended.

I explain myself : let say you pay your 159€ for the upgrade 2.0. After your 12 month, you decide to pay right away to continue supporting Bitwig and have all updates and content. The price could be 79€ if you pay right away or in the month following the end of your "12 months plan".

We could see something like this :

- Paying right away or in the month following the end of your "12 months plan" : 79€
- Paying between 1 and 6 months after the end of your "12 months plan" : 99€
- Paying between 6 months and a year after the end of your "12 months plan" : 119 or 129€
- Paying at least 1 year after the end of your "12 months plan" : 159€

This degressive pricing model would be more fair for users who continuously support Bitwig's team and I think a lot more users would think about upgrading right after 2.0 launch.

What do you guys think about it?

If Bitwig's team come read this post, please think about this system, I truly think it could calm down a lot of the disappointed users, and it would be more fair for your supporting userbase :).

Good day to all of you :).

Regards,

LooFoX

LooFoX wrote:Paying right away or in the month following the end of your "12 months plan" : 79€
- Paying between 6 months and a year after the end of your "12 months plan" : 119 or 129€
I really like this idea. Sigh, if dreams could come true..

Andrey Marchenko wrote:People here do not complaining about 169$. People complaining about next thing: When 12 months period will be finished you will not receive any bug fixes. That's the main reason for all negative in media now.

Example: I have update/upgrade period from February 28th 2017/February 28th 2018. In Bitwig i have a bug on my system and with that bug production process is very hard for me. They don't fix it in February 28th 2017/February 28th 2018 period and fixed in the beginning of March 2018. I need to pay 169$ to get new update with this bug fix.

I will pay 199$ if they want but want to receive bug fixes for free. That's my point of view.
I think bug fixes will be for current version only and not older versions but I can be wrong. Here's how;

Assuming bitwig updates to version 2 by Fed 2017 and you upgrade you can receive all updates as normal.

Then, whatever version is left behind assuming 1.3.16, those who didn't upgrade will get bug fixes for that version. Support continues as normally. But no new features, just bug fixes.

This can go on for the full year until they get to bitwig version 3 and they stop supporting 1.3.16 so then you will have to upgrade either to bitwig 2 or current version of bitwig 3 or continue using an outdated, unsupported version 1.3.16.

They continue support for bitwig 2 for those who decided to not upgrade again on bitwig 3 and repeat the same process. If you wish to use older versions, customers need to understand that bitwig can't support too old versions because a lot of factors change during 2 years of time like OS updates, plugin updates etc.

Just how i imagine it and i hope they do it like this.

SOKRVT, this way is more than enough for me personally ;)

SOKRVT's assumption would satisfy me as a customer.

Why don't they just charge 200 for the upgrade and be done with it. No 12 month bs

The new pricing model essentially means you have to pay for bugfixes now (if you're unlucky).

beatz01 wrote:The new pricing model essentially means you have to pay for bugfixes now (if you're unlucky).
If true, not cool.

...Dom?

LooFoX wrote:We could see something like this :

- Paying right away or in the month following the end of your "12 months plan" : 79€
:tu:

T71 wrote:
beatz01 wrote:The new pricing model essentially means you have to pay for bugfixes now (if you're unlucky).
If true, not cool.

...Dom?
That's what the announcement says, you only get support, bug fixes and new features if you pay 159e, then you're good for 12 months.

.jon wrote:
T71 wrote:
If true, not cool.

...Dom?
That's what the announcement says, you only get support, bug fixes and new features if you pay 159e, then you're good for 12 months.
Yeah, I read all that. I was hoping I had missed something and was wrong about paid bug fixes.

I second LooFoX idea of pricing levels. This will encourage people to stay on the upgrade train and avoid us having to play roulette with when to upgrade.

SOKRVT's idea makes sense but it will still mean new features are saved for major releases. My impression is that the devs dont want to hoard up new features for major releases. They want to release new features straight away. So that idea doesnt fit.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

what if bitwig just have announced "update will cost 159"(no 12 month, no promises anywhere?) plain and simple oldschool marketing enough?
just imagine.
i bet this would have result in far less rantings than what was goin on under the "subscription" flag. maybe some "damn thats expensive, but..." here and there. thats the only fault one may bitwig accuse for, to give people a promise in exchange for an update (besides that bugfix for more than a year stuff, which is the core problem of the marketing)

A simple intro price reduction for a couple of weeks would do it. If you upgrade now until.... the cost will be 119 USD. Call it the Namm sale. After this the price increases to 169USD. That would get me off the fence and I'd update for sure. The pricing levels approach is overly complicated and would expose Bitwig to perennial criticism in my opinion.

With a short term sale you are incentivised and rewarded for taking the leap. it is an entirely different and far more pleasing psychology than the existing scheme. Bitwig would retain the majority of their existing customers and they could use the intervening months to see if their new pricing is calibrated to the market.

I really want to see Bitwig succeed.

LooFoX wrote: I explain myself : let say you pay your 159€ for the upgrade 2.0. After your 12 month, you decide to pay right away to continue supporting Bitwig and have all updates and content. The price could be 79€ if you pay right away or in the month following the end of your "12 months plan".

We could see something like this :

:wink:

Return to “Bitwig”