Please mackie, for the love of all that is holy.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Autobot wrote:Is http://www.asio4all.com/ not an option? I never used the Mackie driver it was very unstable for me.

I went that route and TBH it had better latency then a lot of ASIO drivers and it works well, but it's just a wrapper for the stock WDM that fools the system into believing there is an ASIO driver. It works well, and is stable, but not a preferred method.

Autobot wrote:Installing driver in "compatibility mode Win7" is not possible? And which Onyx exactly?

Yeah, I've done that. It works. It installed it as a windows 7 driver, but it's unstable and glitchy and has all kinds of side effects, like I'm now unable to play back internet videos due to a conflict of audio drivers with windows 10, or every time the machine logs out to the lock screen and I come back to it, the driver has stopped working. I do have it installed in compatibility mode though. It works in a pinch. This is my portable rig, so I'm specifically speaking of the blackjack.

Kaine wrote:From what I recall all the Onyx range were Firewire, is that correct?

If so, they'll use the same bought in DICE solution that's in the rest of the range.

If that is the case, DICE drivers are normally written by the firm that supplies them, which was TC Konnekt up until last year. So if they had an agreement in place to licence the driver development, then they may have been at the mercy of TCK's work load.

I say "may have" (past tense) because Behringer bought them last year and made the DICE range unavailable to third party companies.

So, if all that is correct then that would be why. They can't commercially develop and release new drivers, because they no longer hold a licence to do so.

Thanks for that information, it's something to think about, but the drivers were made by someone called "loud inc." maybe they are TC? but this is not a recent problem. It's literally been bitched about on every internet forum since the release of the product.

Ouch ... I also have the Onyx Blackjack. Im still on Win 7 but need to buy a new laptop in near future. At least Asio4All works better than nothing or? I wonder why Mackie still selling the Blackjack while they have no drivers above Win7?

Loud Inc. is the company and Mackie the brand - or?
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:Ouch ... I also have the Onyx Blackjack. Im still on Win 7 but need to buy a new laptop in near future. At least Asio4All works better than nothing or? I wonder why Mackie still selling the Blackjack while they have no drivers above Win7?

It's a mess man, it's a mess, but it has been since the day of release, which is why everyone has bitched so loudly about it.

you will probably have to get a new audio interface.

on my old mac you just plugged it in. No drivers necessary, it just worked. SMH. How hard could it be?

Dasheesh wrote:
Autobot wrote:Is http://www.asio4all.com/ not an option? I never used the Mackie driver it was very unstable for me.

I went that route and TBH it had better latency then a lot of ASIO drivers and it works well, but it's just a wrapper for the stock WDM that fools the system into believing there is an ASIO driver. It works well, and is stable, but not a preferred method.
May I ask why ASIO4All is not the "preferred method"? Are any drawbacks Im not aware of?
rabbit in a hole

Dasheesh wrote:
Autobot wrote:Ouch ... I also have the Onyx Blackjack. Im still on Win 7 but need to buy a new laptop in near future. At least Asio4All works better than nothing or? I wonder why Mackie still selling the Blackjack while they have no drivers above Win7?

It's a mess man, it's a mess, but it has been since the day of release, which is why everyone has bitched so loudly about it.

you will probably have to get a new audio interface.
As I wrote I never used their drivers. The driver was crap at all since day one (I've bought the Blackjack when it came out). I never installed anything. Plug in via USB and use ASIO4all
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:

May I ask why ASIO4All is not the "preferred method"? Are any drawbacks Im not aware of?

It's the same sound you get with windows media player playback. It's not bad, it is stable, and it is a solution, but it's not taking advantage of the ad/da converters.

Dasheesh wrote:
Autobot wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:

It's the same sound you get with windows media player playback. It's not bad, it is stable, and it is a solution, but it's not taking advantage of the ad/da converters.
Are you sure about this? ad/da is for input not output or? Nevertheless I hear huge differences between Onyx and Behring without a certain driver just ASIO4All
Last edited by Autobot on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

Both, the Mackie drivers sound much better. That is all.

I just noted a difference in the way the mackie drivers sound, when they work, and the WDM stock. Meh, regardless, there should be a driver. We have every right to expect a working driver for this product.

Dasheesh wrote:Both, the Mackie drivers sound much better. That is all.
Why should the driver touch the sound? Latency wise okay but soundwise? The signal flow goes from usb through the device to you monitors. Why to care about the driver? Maybe Im not firm enough with the technical aspect of it?
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Both, the Mackie drivers sound much better. That is all.
Why should the driver touch the sound? Latency wise okay but soundwise? The signal flow goes from usb through the device to you monitors. Why to care about the driver? Maybe Im not firm enough with the technical aspect of it?

well, maybe you are right and I won't discard that, but there is a difference in the detail of the sound between the stock WDM and the ASIO driver. and, it just bugs me.

Dasheesh wrote:
Autobot wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:

Autobot seems to be talking about using the ASIO4all system in conjunction with his Mackie Blackjack. If that's what he's doing, then it absolutely would be taking advantage of the Mackie's ad/da convertors.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”