Most space-efficient midi controller keyboard

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am interested in getting a usb midi controller that is at least 49 keys, but as compact as possible. I would want buttons to switch octaves, a pitch bend and mod wheel might be nice, but other than that I don't want any other knobs. Here are my specific questions:
  • Does anyone make a compact keyboard where the keys are shorter than the standard? Normal keyboard keys seem unnecessarily long to me, and vertically shorter keys would save me some space.
  • I'm also interested in one that has thinner keys. I have been playing on and off for years, but my hands are small. For this reason I don't think I'm ever going to be able to span an octave comfortably, no matter how much I practice. I think keys that are smaller horizontally might help, though.
Recomendations?

Why 49 keys? There are a ton of compact 25 mini key controllers around. Cant think of a 49 key alternative.

Take a look at the Korg MicroKey2 49 - its seems to fit your needs.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Well, I did actually order a Korg NanoKey with 25 keys, and I will give it a try. It seemed like it would be too limiting. I certainly couldn't play with both hands on a keyboard that size. But if I like it a lot, I might consider getting two, or even three of them and then I could line them up to play. Or, have and upper and lower manual stacked vertically, like on a 70s organ.

I will take a look at the Microkey2 49. Thanks for the tip.

Roland A49
dedication to flying

The Roland A49 actually looks like a newer version of the Roland PC-200, which I own:

It is actually pretty portable, so maybe it's about as good as it gets. The Korg Microkeys look like they might be just slightly more compact, but maybe not.

This Garagekey is 37 keys and one of the simplest keyboards I've ever seen. So maybe I'll try that one out.

This one is normal sized keys but very shallow so... compact! (25 or 37 keys)

http://www.cme-pro.com/xkey-air/

I saw that, yeah. Very compact. I'm reading reviews and they say that these Korg Micro keyboards are built to really use as workhorses, whereas the guts for the GarageKey are junk. The Korgs are some of the most simple, affordable, portable, and well built, so they might be the best way to go.

My NanoKey comes tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out.

I have had two Rolands in a row, the first one had a controller defect, after not even two years (in the living room, not even on the road or anything) it just died and could not be started up anymore.
The second one has a defective pitch bend / modulation lever, doesn't bend by the specified amount anymore.
So, I would not recommend getting a Roland keyboard, they seem to have quality issue...

I will get a Korg :)

Addressing my first post, it also looks like the MicroKeys have stubby keys.

Anyway, my NanoKey came today and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's miniscule and weighs nothing, which lets me play it in a totally different way. In fact, I spent about an hour tonight playing different VSTis while holding my keyboard like a melodica.

the most obvious downside is that the keys are like computer keyboard keys, except they actually feel looser and more clackety. In fact I found I had to wear headphones when playing it because the clacking was so distracting. They are velocity-sensitive, though.

I've been traveling for 9 months with the CME XKey in my bag. It's pretty compact! And the keys actualy feel pretty nice as opposed to those little korg computer keyboard type keys. I've tried lots of compact keyboards and I like CME the best. If you need more keys you could always get a 25 in addition to the 37 and put them side by side. There's not much of a gap on the sides.

Well, I was willing to get used to the NanoKey's keys but now I don't know what to do. I just bought a second NanoKey and can tell the first one's keys are stickier. Meaning, if I press down at an angle, some of the keys make contact at the corner and not the middle, so the note isn't triggered. I didn't notice this before, and the new one is fine, so this leads me to believe that the NanoKeys are going to wear out really fast.

OK, so the NanoKey is really easy to take apart. I took the back out of the keyboard, rotated the stuck keys and now everything works fine.

The NanoKey is kind of a rinky-dink piece of hardware, but I must say it's still worth having a couple. The ability to play anywhere -- on the couch, in the car, at the park -- means that the creative process can happen out in the 'real world' and not just in the studio.

cryophonik wrote:Take a look at the Korg MicroKey2 49 - its seems to fit your needs.
For such a tiny keyboard, the Microkey is surprisingly playable. Otherwise Alesis Q49/V49 are shallow with full size keybed.

I've been down this path and wound up with a MicroBrute. Maybe not the most ideal controller, but certainly serviceable -- and the extra functionality of also being a semi-modular analog synth makes up for it. :hihi:

And also? It still works and doesn't annoy me. Which is more than I can say for the previous 3 keyboards I've had...

I had an original NanoKey and it was junk (I understand they got better after the first revision but still...). I had an Axiom 25 and it was okay but kind of bulky, and assigning the pads and knobs never seemed worthwhile. I had a McMillen K-Board and it was hard to control, felt as weird as the NanoKey but in a different way, and died after a few months.

The only problem I've had with the MicroBrute is the mod wheel got really twitchy a few weeks after I bought it, where any movement would cause it to send alternating 127 and 0 values before settling down again -- but I ran the calibration for it and that cleared everything right up.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”