Need Mastering Plugins For 70s Prog Rock Project

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

martinjuenke wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:I repeat: Hope your penetrant self marketing works fine for your revenues, old KVR man... :pray:
Give the man a break

It could turn out good, there aint enough prog in the world for sure.
You're right, we should not distract him any longer from composing, mixing and mastering by urging him to write tons of posts about whatever. :wink:
What I find absolutely fascinating is how there are some people here who need to make an issue out of everything.

And no matter how many forums I attend, it never gets old how each one has its little group.

Fascinating...absolutely fascinating.

wagtunes wrote:What I find absolutely fascinating is how there are some people here who need to make an issue out of everything.

And no matter how many forums I attend, it never gets old how each one has its little group.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... enominator

70 prog rock means tape

Lotsa Lotsa tape

not enough tracks as musicians would like so they would "print" track. Printing Means to take a few track and record them together on another track(S) to then erase the original tracks

Classic example is Drum tracks. loads of Mics so loads of track print the 6( or more) onto a Stereo track erase the original Drum tracks and record something else

and then they would mix and to record the mix they either used Another Tape Machine or 2 tracks if there are any left on the multi-track

Once Mix is done, the true-Mastering engineer would do his thing and then Record on Another tape Machine

back then they would record a Vynil lathe and it had an unavoidable sound altering difference from that physically stomp on hot Vynil to make copies

so if u were to Listen to a CD or MP3 of a recording from the 70ies you've by-passed what the Vynil Lathe did to the sound(good or bad)

Most of the time to Make digital format (CDs and such) they had to go to the place that has the recording Archived cross your fingers humidity hasn't ravished the tape. usually you have to Cook(yeah literally) Either the Multi-track or the Mastering tape.
God Knows How that affect the Sound

Sometimes they redo the Mix from scratch from the Multi-track so it Sounds Like nothing you remember.

sometimes they do a Good Job, sometimes its a rushed-don't-really-care-job-so i'll Just put Wave L-1 on everything
Last edited by realmarco on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:70 prog rock means tape

Lotsa Lotsa tape

not enough tracks as musicians would like so they would "print" track. Printing Means to take a few track and record them together on another track(S) to then erase the original tracks

Classic example is Drum tracks. loads of Mics so loads of track print the 6( or more) onto a Stereo track erase the original Drum tracks and record something else

and then they would mix and to record the mix they use Another Tape Machine(or 2 tracks left on the 1st tape)

Once Mxi done the true-Mastering engineer would do his thing and then Record on Another tape Machine

once done now they would record a Vynil lathe(unavoidable sound difference) and then literally Print Vynils plastic

so if u were to Listen to a CED or MP3 of a recording from the 70ies you've by-passed what the Vynil Lathe did to the sound

Most of the time to Make digital format (cps and such) they had to go to the place that has the recording Archived and then Cook(yeah literally) Either the Multi-track or the Mastering tape.

Sometimes they redo the Mix from scratch from the Multi-track so it Sounds Like nothing you remember.

sometimes they do a Good Job, sometimes its a rushed-don't-really-care-job-so i'll Just put Wave L-1 on everything
Thank you for all this info but is there a point to this as far as what I want to do? Or is your point that I am looking to do the impossible?

By the way, the project is finished so it's all moot now anyway.

wagtunes wrote:
realmarco wrote:70 prog rock means tape

Lotsa Lotsa tape

and then they would mix and to record the mix they use Another Tape Machine(or 2 tracks left on the 1st tape)

Once Mxi done the true-Mastering engineer would do his thing and then Record on Another tape Machine

once done now they would record a Vynil lathe(unavoidable sound difference) and then literally Print Vynils plastic

so if u were to Listen to a CED or MP3 of a recording from the 70ies you've by-passed what the Vynil Lathe did to the sound

Most of the time to Make digital format (cps and such) they had to go to the place that has the recording Archived and then Cook(yeah literally) Either the Multi-track or the Mastering tape.

Thank you for all this info but is there a point to this as far as what I want to do? Or is your point that I am looking to do the impossible?

By the way, the project is finished so it's all moot now anyway.
I'm saying it is not impossible i'm just mentionning this for the DAW mixing..if u wanted it to sound like the 70ies you'd have to use Tape Plugins and do Lotsa Tape plugins into another instance of tape etc

realmarco wrote:if u wanted it to sound like the 70ies you'd have to use Tape Plugins and do Lotsa Tape plugins into another instance of tape etc
Bollocks - once again you are absolutely clueless yet want to teach everyone "how it's done" - classic realmarco.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
realmarco wrote:if u wanted it to sound like the 70ies you'd have to use Tape Plugins and do Lotsa Tape plugins into another instance of tape etc
Bollocks - once again you are absolutely clueless yet want to teach everyone "how it's done" - classic realmarco.
uh..what are u talking about

everything was tape based in the 70ies

if anyone doesn't know what he's talking about its you.

unlike you i've actually calibrated an otari and have edited 2 inch tape with a razor on it

i've worked in professional studios before and have friend who were adults in the 70ies

I'm assuming because it was actual tape, and not tape plugin emulations. HUGE difference, (as you'd know if you had actually calibrated an Otari and edited 2 inch tape with a razor on it). :)

Okay, before this one gets out of control and since it's not even relevant anymore (project completed) I'm gonna lock this one up.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Return to “Effects”