Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

fluffy_little_something wrote: That's interesting, both that even 8 voices are possible that way, and that SA are kind enough to think of those people with more dated processors :roll: :oops:
As there is also the RE version of The Legend for Reason Richard also has to take care to keep this compatible with the VST2 and AU plugins when doing changes. This is also one reason why no additional tabs could be added to the GUi to add more features even if this would be possible with the VST2 or AU plugin.
As Richard mentioned in the psot i quoted the possible 8 voices would not work in all processors and currently also not in the RE for Reason.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Which is not a problem. RE would be stuck at 4 voices until Props make AVX a part of their SDK, whereas VST people could reap the benefits of having AVX in their processor. It is possible to detect if AVX is present and if it's not, simply disable the 8 voice option, so... perhaps it'll happen in an update later on. :)

AVX is pretty standard on CPUs going back a few years (it was introduced in 2011), so that's not a problem either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... s_with_AVX

I just re-checked the voice stealing in The Legend again and even with a longer Release time this actually seems to be more "solid" with all 4 voices used than i remembered it.

I just did another test with holding a note in a lower octave and playing 3 notes in higher ones (wit husing a higher release time in then envelopes). The lower note usually only seems to "disappear" when i accidently hit 4 instead of 3 notes in the higher octaves. There could be rare cases that this also happens when hitting exactly 4 notes (and not 5 accidently). Anyway in my earlier comment above i did not actuaklly say that this always or mostly happens but that it COULD happen.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Sure, why would the bass note disappear when you only play 3 notes with the right hand? 8)

When the bass note disappears despite your only playing 4 notes, you might have accidentally triggered one of the three right-hand keys twice without knowing it. It should not happen otherwise.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Sure, why would the bass note disappear when you only play 3 notes with the right hand? 8)
Well, if in The Legend the note priority is set to "Low/RR" it could easily happen that the lowest held note "disappears" which is why for poly sounds the "Last" note priority is recommended which seems to work much better for this.
fluffy_little_something wrote: When the bass note disappears despite your only playing 4 notes, you might have accidentally triggered one of the three right-hand keys twice without knowing it. It should not happen otherwise.
As just mentioned it could happen when acccidently hitting 4 keys in the upper ones (e.g. when playing quite fast).
Ingo Weidner

But why would priority play any role as long as you only play 4 notes, no matter which ones?

fluffy_little_something wrote:But why would priority play any role as long as you only play 4 notes, no matter which ones?
The note priority modes seem to have a different use in mono, poly and Unison modes.

This is from the manual for The Legend:
Note Priority

The meaning of the Note Priority switch depends on whether Unison/Mono mode is selected
or the polyphonic Poly mode. In Mono and Unison modes, Last Note Priority means that a new
key that is depressed will always take precedence over other keys depressed before. Low Note
Priority will instead always play the lowest note. In Poly mode, up to four different notes can
sound at the same time. Last Note Priority will simply activate the most common voice stealing
mechanism here, which is to take away voices only when necessary. For example if four keys
are depressed, adding a fifth key will remove one of the previous notes playing.
Ingo Weidner

Exactly, so in poly mode priority does not matter unless you play a fifth note.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Exactly, so in poly mode priority does not matter unless you play a fifth note.
As long as you use the "Last" priority mode for the poly mode mostly yes. Those who had serious problems with the poly mode maybe should check if they tried to use the "Low/RR" mode instead. THer seem to be uses for the "Low/RR" mode with the poly mode but mostly the "Last" priority seems to be better.
Ingo Weidner

fluffy_little_something wrote:But I think brass should sound a bit funky, to clearly set it apart from string pads.
I like them more or less like this, although this one is too bright, forgot to turn off the velocity :hihi:
https://app.box.com/s/563n23l9v9fo1n8gqevs1ybqqzklkw0v
A good chorus can add something, depending on whether the synth sounds nice dry. Sometimes it is nice to have the sizzle of the raw saw (especially on hardware synths), which gets washed away by the chorus, though.
Sounds nice, what synth is it? Is it 2 saws + chorus?

Chris-S wrote:Sounds nice, what synth is it? Is it 2 saws + chorus?
Sylenth1 (which I rebought :D first time I ever did that if I remember correctly), no chorus, just three dry saws to stay within what the Minimoog allows.

The 400+ factory presets for The Legend already contain some polyphonic Brass sounds and the Classic patches and other monophonic presets contain some Brass like sounds like e.g. "Trumpet", "Trombone", "Tuba" or "Horn" too that could be easily changed to use the poly mode (the classic patches by default are set to mono mode like in te real things).

I also posted the 11 additional Brass patches at page 80 in this thread which are all set to poly mode already. The avaiable patches should easily offer a starting point to create additional variations based on those if you do not not like them the way they are currently sounding.

In the future i also plan to create additional Synth Brass patches for The Legend.
Ingo Weidner

I envy you your enthusiasm, I can't even imagine more than half a dozen different synth brass sounds :hihi:

Oftentimes solo brass instruments require a rather specific pulse width setting, which might be a problem on Legend 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Oftentimes solo brass instruments require a rather specific pulse width setting, which might be a problem on Legend 8)
It's possible to emulate that (as on a real Mini) by using two oscillators, one with a regular sawtooth, other with a ramp (inverse sawtooth) at slight detunings. Gets in the ballpark.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I envy you your enthusiasm, I can't even imagine more than half a dozen different synth brass sounds :hihi:

Oftentimes solo brass instruments require a rather specific pulse width setting, which might be a problem on Legend 8)
Well, there is a difference between acoustic brass and typical Synth Brass sounds but i alraedy mentioned that...
Also brass like pad sounds could sound nice.

That (in)famous Blade Runner Brass sound does also not seem to be really fast with the attack and decay times....

Maybe some people are a bit too much restricted in their mind when it comes to which sounds could be interesting or not or if they hear the term "Brass" sound. Most famous analog polysynths like e.g. Memorymoog, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, Synthex, CS-80, OB-Xa, Matrix-12, Eight Voice etc. were quite famous for that kind of sounds.

BTW The Legend also has a 12dB/oct filter mode that is suitable for more "Oberheimish" sounds like i had mentioned earlier. The 12db mode could really make a quite big difference to the default 24dB mode and IMO the 12dB filter in The Legend actually sounds quite nice.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”