!Epoch, for the next 4 years

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HunterKiller wrote:I absolutely love the crisp blue and white, everything else looks too bland, not sharp, not edgy, not "hard".

I'd also have the Instruments and the Effects as different colours. Basically the brain works much faster with colors and pictures that are distinct, than it does with letters and numbers and simple styles. The less things look same-y, the quicker the brain is able to process what they are. Which equals quicker work, or less straining work, one could say.

Just as on iOS 6 and prior, the icons looked much more distinct (and you could say "beautiful"), than iOS 7 and all the versions after it:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zH7FslRYsNg/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gf_Bb6ygwKc/maxresdefault.jpg

The human eye, appreciates lighting and 3 dimensionality. Photorealism over the cartoon look. Just how the ear appreciates better analog emulations over worse emulations.
9 is y far the best there, 6 is horrid
Duh

bungle wrote:9 is y far the best there, 6 is horrid
The iOS look of the icons is the same since v7, so v6 is the best, because I prefer that non-flat look. It's visually more striking, more interesting and more nuanced. The flat look is just that, flat, in every way. Emotionally it is flat, it gives off the feeling of "uninteresting".
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote:
v6 is the best, because I prefer that non-flat look.
Don't you think that's a little self-centred?

Not just self centred but also a wee bit over the top, if i ever get to the point where an icon imparts an emotion on me, i am turning off the device and walking away, a tool is a tool.

Flat is non descript for a reason, you should be using the tool, not sitting there staring and getting emotional ?
Duh

woggle wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:
v6 is the best, because I prefer that non-flat look.
Don't you think that's a little self-centred?
bungle wrote:Not just self centred but also a wee bit over the top, if i ever get to the point where an icon imparts an emotion on me, i am turning off the device and walking away, a tool is a tool.

Flat is non descript for a reason, you should be using the tool, not sitting there staring and getting emotional ?
No, it's just you two are not understanding something, and having the opposite opinion. To push for your opinion, in no matter how covert, or neutral a manner, is no less "emotional" and self-serving.

But there is a reason, why big time developers still go with non-flat 3D interfaces, and use the flat look minimalistically or not at all. The flat look takes away from the detail of what something could be, and I personally appreciate detail, I appreciate good visuals. woggle, instead of saying that is self centered, you should say, he appreciates good aesthetics. Which way Colin, goes is up to him. But I am letting him know of my personal opinion, just as you have declared your own. :wink:

You really are very very self centered aren't you, nobody tried to push any agenda except you, nobdy here has said it should be flat or 3d, except you, nobody really cares about any of this, except you, that is very self centered, and i suggest, nay demand, if you have any other issues with me, you take it to PM and not OT spam this thread, Colins reputation is already a bit burred in some eyes because of the amount of time this development has been ongoing, nonsense like this going on is not needed, so PM me or do not mention my name again.
Duh

So what's up with !Epoch Colin?
Are we getting close?

Bitwig 2.0 will not have the full modular node editor right away so you still can beat them ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Yes this is crazy. Bitwig is catching up. The only thing I miss is a note and drum step sequencer and Im sure it will come.

We are getting very close. Finishing the UI has been a colossal effort, and one compounded by minor differences in rendering between macOS, Windows, and Linux that I've had to work around; whilst I'm not concerned that it has to look identical on each platform, I do want it to look good on each. Which it now does.

Currently development work is polishing some dialogs which looked a bit nasty, and adding a few minor features that never got implemented, such as importing and exporting custom scales.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote:
We are getting very close.

English humour?

colin@loomer wrote:We are getting very close. Finishing the UI has been a colossal effort, and one compounded by minor differences in rendering between macOS, Windows, and Linux that I've had to work around; whilst I'm not concerned that it has to look identical on each platform, I do want it to look good on each. Which it now does.

Currently development work is polishing some dialogs which looked a bit nasty, and adding a few minor features that never got implemented, such as importing and exporting custom scales.
Cool,

so a spring release is iminent? Awesome :-) :tu: :clap: :party: :hyper: :clown: :love: :D

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

At the beginning of the year I totted up the outstanding work, and based on this I'd have estimated completion at the end of February. A few other things - minor omissions that slipped off the development radar - have cropped up in the interim, and so have pushed the date back accordingly, so yes, next few months, March or April, seems likely.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Until next problems come up :) Im not a programmer but is it even possible to do something like this on you own. I mean updates and bugs will also take forever and the time optimism here makes me worried. Its hard to trust this anymore. Over a year ago you also said almost finished and long before summer 2016 for sure.

Well, at one point you simply have to ship.
No matter how well you prepare, stuff will turn up you didn't think about anyway.
And in a way that's the whole fun of it.

I can imagine that it's rather scary if you worked for so long on something that big. It's a huge step from it being your personal baby that you feed and nourish to it being out in the wild and getting picked apart, raved about, hated, loved, used...

"Real artists ship" - Not a big fan of the apple man here, but he had a point ... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Loomer”