Automation depending on other factors? (Studio One, FL)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

in Studio One, I can pretty much draw or record automation. But I want to have "automatic automation" dependent on other factors. Stupid examples:

- Lets say the pitch of instrument a is dependent on volume of another instrument b
- Let's say there's a midi track and I want at another place have automation value 1 when there's a note on that midi track.
- Let's even say I have a wave audio track and I want to have an automation being dependent on the overall volume of this.

So some kinds of dependencies. Which need a sensor on source side, and apply it to an automation (maybe with even a formula in between) on the target side...
I think the last example cannot be done... For everything else, as for FL, formula controller comes to mind. But Studio One, does it support such concepts? Or will I need to learn max/msp?

Maybe there is proper terminology for what I want, can you tell me? "Automated automation"?

Thank you guys

Studio One isn't that smart. But you could put in a feature request here.

Bitwig can do that sort of thing with the modulators
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

And Reaper too, via parameter modulation.

In FL Studio this stuff is easy to do as well (peak controller), and an envelope lane or automation pattern can be assigned to whatever parameter after the recording/editing.

garryknight wrote:Studio One isn't that smart.
True, it isn't. You could likely only do that kinda thing scripting in Presence.

Keep hope alive.

LawrenceF wrote:
True, it isn't. You could likely only do that kinda thing scripting in Presence.

Keep hope alive.
Or use Blue Cat Audio's audio to midi solution
Amazon: why not use an alternative

There are VSTs that allow this (your last example) like Waves Vocal Rider, Melda MAutoVolume and Hornet AutoGain (google "Waves Vocal Rider alternative" for other similar plugins).

Modular hosts like Bidule and VSTForx (again not the only ones, can google for alternatives, like already mentioned Blue Cat has one) can do the other examples or crazier stuff.

BTW, it is not that great (I did it, does not sound special, mostly a timesaving tool for mixing), so don't stretch yourself over this.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:

Keep hope alive.
Or use Blue Cat Audio's audio to midi solution
Or use FL studio (as stated in the title...for whatever reason)

Well OK guys, I think I'll do that kind of stuff in FL then. Was a bit surprised S1 is not (yet?) capable to do this. Bluecat and VST based stuff seems interesting.

I mentioned FL because... not sure. I was aware about automations being more flexible, but not about the Peak controller. Never really looked at it.

Just want to get an overview about the basic concepts and possibilities. Because sometimes I want to do something, but do not know how, and then I move on and do something else. But good ideas do not appear all the time and ideally the flow should be used :-)

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Well OK guys, I think I'll do that kind of stuff in FL then. Was a bit surprised S1 is not (yet?) capable to do this. Bluecat and VST based stuff seems interesting.

I mentioned FL because... not sure. I was aware about automations being more flexible, but not about the Peak controller. Never really looked at it.

Just want to get an overview about the basic concepts and possibilities. Because sometimes I want to do something, but do not know how, and then I move on and do something else. But good ideas do not appear all the time and ideally the flow should be used :-)
Use the comprehensive help-file in FLS. :tu:

Totally by chance (I was searching for something else) I stumbled over this, which is related. Just in case this is interesting for some people:

"Convert Audio Drums To MIDI Triggers In PreSonus Studio One"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUdO4EOl38

Interesting. Unintuiutive for me, I would not have found this :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”