Help before switching to Live or Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all..

I am a long time Cubase user but recently have come across Ableton Live and Bitwig and love certain things about them that I'd consider moving.

It's a complex and expensive task to move DAW but 2 things would help my workflow so significantly that I may have to face it.

1. Session Clip based working! Absolutely fantastic, it's the way I prefer to write and create and really suits me (wish I had it sooner). Is there anyway I can get this with Cubase?

The Track Versions is limited as it's not automated and the current arrange tracks don't even begin to compare with Bitwig's clips for e.g. I've heard of someone running Live alongside Cubase for e.g. but I;m not even sure how to do that.

2. A replacement for 'Simpler'. Is there a replacement/alternative for Simpler in Cubase?

Thanks!
This isn't what you think.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:The sampler track is used in similar ways to simpler, however, what features of simpler do you really need?
The ability to simply drag and drop audio from the project or media bay to create slices, manipulate those slices (reverse, T/S, play melodically etc).
ghettosynth wrote:There is nothing like clips in cubase, not really. There are multiple ways to use cubase with ableton depending on which features you find most limiting about each host.
I'd really like to write and compose in Clip/Session mode, having seen it it's hard for me to go back to Cubase for that purpose. As mentioned if needed I could consider running them side by side.

It would be awesome if there were a VST Host that had the Clip/Session approach.

Thanks

skank wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:The sampler track is used in similar ways to simpler, however, what features of simpler do you really need?
The ability to simply drag and drop audio from the project or media bay to create slices, manipulate those slices (reverse, T/S, play melodically etc).
ghettosynth wrote:There is nothing like clips in cubase, not really. There are multiple ways to use cubase with ableton depending on which features you find most limiting about each host.
I'd really like to write and compose in Clip/Session mode, having seen it it's hard for me to go back to Cubase for that purpose. As mentioned if needed I could consider running them side by side.

It would be awesome if there were a VST Host that had the Clip/Session approach.

Thanks
Seems like a lot of people forgot about cakewalk 'project 5 '
It 's now abandonned but it also had the clip approach
Really sad that cakewalk abandonned it , it had HUGE potential
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpMpn27ujU

Starts from 01:59 ..

Bitwig took the best ideas of ableton and YES ' project 5' ...and they thought nobody knew :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

skank wrote:It would be awesome if there were a VST Host that had the Clip/Session approach.
Mixcraft's 'Performance Panel' is very similar to Live's session view. Here's a tutorial using Novation LaunchPad to launch clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9MRsr-_ec

skank wrote: It would be awesome if there were a VST Host that had the Clip/Session approach.
What do you mean by "VST host"? Both Live and Bitwig host VSTs, Bitwig can even bridge 32/64-bit VSTs natively.

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wow, thanks. :o Who would have known.

swatwork wrote:
skank wrote:It would be awesome if there were a VST Host that had the Clip/Session approach.
Mixcraft's 'Performance Panel' is very similar to Live's session view. Here's a tutorial using Novation LaunchPad to launch clips:
Thanks, I mean it could save me moving DAW if there were a VST plugin host that I could use in Cubase that had the cli[/session view features of Bitwig. Be great to avoid changing DAWs, but it seems the clip based arrangements are the way I think.

Many people use a standard DAW like Cubase as well as a more modular DAW like Bitwig or Live. You don't have to completely leave one for the other if you don't want to. You can always do your creative work in Bitwig and then export stems for mixing if you feel the need - some people do, others use Bitwig for mix and master too.
I mainly use Bitwig these days but every now and then I do something very linear in Studio One...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ya Cakewalk really dropped the ball when it dropped Project 5. i can only imagine how awesome it would be to be using an updated version of that (i.e. 64-bit + multi-core) with Maschine & Maschine Jam!
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

skank wrote:
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wow, thanks. :o Who would have known.
I find it strange that you're here since 2004 and didn't know about it.

skank wrote:
swatwork wrote:
Thanks, I mean it could save me moving DAW if there were a VST plugin host that I could use in Cubase that had the cli[/session view features of Bitwig. Be great to avoid changing DAWs, but it seems the clip based arrangements are the way I think.
Having a plugin host inside a DAW doing that is not going to be the same as it integrated at the DAW level like Live or Bitwig

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”