Logic Pro X 10.3 and GarageBand Updates out today

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GarageBand Logic Pro

masterhiggins wrote:Holy shit. That's about $1000 worth of updates in Cubase dollars.
And about $3000 worth in Bitwig dollars :P
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's a shame Apple don't care about musicians, otherwise they'd be killing it

Gotta say, every time I consider going back to Windows, I think, "but no Logic". I like Apples commitment to this software and the continued development as free point updates is just sensational. And to be perfectly honest, it is and always has been the most stable music program I have used. I'm guessing others find the same considering how little whinging you hear about it. It is incredible value when you look at it from a cost perspective too.

I got really excited about this one:
Render any combination of effect plug-ins to a selection of audio using Selection-based Processing
In my excited naivety, I thought it would mean that you can assign a plug-in chain to an audio region, and Logic then applies those effects to this region in an intelligent, non-destructive and transparent manner, and _remembers_ this particular set of plug-ins associated with this particular region (meaning you could later come back and adjust the plug-in settings, or revert back to original audio, etc).

Well, not quite. This is basically just a slightly more automated version of bounce in place. You can create the plug-in chain (outside of any tracks) and apply it to a region, but Logic just creates a new copy of the file (with "_1", "_2", etc. in the end) and replaces it in Arrange (sorry, "Main Window"). If you want to adjust the effects later, it's up to you to save the plug-in chain separately and keep it associated with this region, and manually revert back to the original. Still nice to have, but could be so much more advanced.

Oh and non-destructive reversing of audio regions still doesn't work with flex. :bang:

Let's do some more exploring...

Captain wrote:I got really excited about this one:
Render any combination of effect plug-ins to a selection of audio using Selection-based Processing
In my excited naivety, I thought it would mean that you can assign a plug-in chain to an audio region, and Logic then applies those effects to this region in an intelligent, non-destructive and transparent manner, and _remembers_ this particular set of plug-ins associated with this particular region (meaning you could later come back and adjust the plug-in settings, or revert back to original audio, etc).

Well, not quite. This is basically just a slightly more automated version of bounce in place. You can create the plug-in chain (outside of any tracks) and apply it to a region, but Logic just creates a new copy of the file (with "_1", "_2", etc. in the end) and replaces it in Arrange (sorry, "Main Window"). If you want to adjust the effects later, it's up to you to save the plug-in chain separately and keep it associated with this region, and manually revert back to the original. Still nice to have, but could be so much more advanced.

Oh and non-destructive reversing of audio regions still doesn't work with flex. :bang:

Let's do some more exploring...
In other news, send on/off can now be automated. That, combined with region automation, is starting to make per-note effects a much more interesting prospect :shrug:

matamoris wrote:Hmmm, I don't know what to think about the new UI. I like flat, but this looks kinda un-pro.
I hate flat. This is enraging me. Apple's taste in design has turned from the arguably best to the absolute worst. And seeing how excruciatingly long we have had to wait for updates to Logic (pro users and content creators being utterly unimportant to current Apple executives), it'll take forever for this crap to be undone whenever someone new comes to power at Apple and changes the aesthetic direction back away from low-effort, amateur, flat and low-contrast garbage.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
matamoris wrote:Hmmm, I don't know what to think about the new UI. I like flat, but this looks kinda un-pro.
I hate flat. This is enraging me. Apple's taste in design has turned from the arguably best to the absolute worst. And seeing how excruciatingly long we have had to wait for updates to Logic (pro users and content creators being utterly unimportant to current Apple executives), it'll take forever for this crap to be undone whenever someone new comes to power at Apple and changes the aesthetic direction back away from low-effort, amateur, flat and low-contrast garbage.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:

I actually identify with that character to a certain degree. But lots of people do. That's why it's a well regarded film.

Frankly, the ruination of GUIs since 2013 has been a serious thing for people who aren't geeks. iPhone changed the industry and brought computing to everyone. Then Apple wrecked that accessibility with iOS 7's GUI disaster.

Research shows what commonalities exist in good GUI designs. Apple actually contributed to much of that research...and has blatantly ignored it since 2013.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Thanks for sharing the full change list here in this thread. Aside from the worsening GUI style, it sounds like a huge update.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: I hate flat. This is enraging me. Apple's taste in design has turned from the arguably best to the absolute worst. And seeing how excruciatingly long we have had to wait for updates to Logic (pro users and content creators being utterly unimportant to current Apple executives), it'll take forever for this crap to be undone whenever someone new comes to power at Apple and changes the aesthetic direction back away from low-effort, amateur, flat and low-contrast garbage.
the entire industry is going 'flat' (not just on macos/ios) - driven by the need for scalable UIs to handle the massive range of screens people have (will only get worse as the first 8K monitors hit the market)

beautifully rendered '3d' UIs just aren't feasible any more

Now....
If Apple didn't f***ed with the new MBP configuration.... and ports...
I could have just jump in before my new PC laptop. :bang:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Great update BUT....the GUI is terrible. It´s much much harder to read on my MBP.
WTF.....yeah, i hate the GUI. WTF?!?!?!
It´s not about flat. I´m fine with that but i can´t f**king read the channel strip without getting headache after a few minutes.

Yeah the antialiasing on the channel strip font is total crap, at least on my non-Retina display.

Don't really care about the flat GUI or lighter color but man, that font...

dumbledog wrote:Yeah the antialiasing on the channel strip font is total crap, at least on my non-Retina display.

Don't really care about the flat GUI or lighter color but man, that font...
I have a retina but that doesn't help here.
The good thing is the GUI seems more responsible in general for me but grey on grey :x
I have to figure out if there is a way to change that.
Also the colors....nah!

liquidsound wrote:Now....
If Apple didn't f***ed with the new MBP configuration.... and ports...
I could have just jump in before my new PC laptop. :bang:
Yeah I hear you on that. I waited to buy a new macbook only to be thoroughly disappointed by the new design. So, I just bought a maxed out 2015 MBP from Macsales.com. An improvement to my 2012 MBP and lighter. It's the perfect laptop for audio. As it's a certified refurb unit from Apple I saved some serious money and it came with the full Apple warranty and is Applecare-eligible. I would've purchased it directly from Apple but didn't want to pay $200 in taxes on it. Just an option. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”