MTurboReverb preset making action, let's make the ultimate reverb! ;)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MTurboReverb

Hey Vojtech
LE has been around since software has been around. Like ProToolsLE.
Steinberg have no claim to this.
Spencer

A thought: Will it be possible to load third party active presets (algorithms) in to the basic MTurboReverb player? Or perhaps we can have three versions:

MTurboReverb Basic: Only allows algorithms included with the reverb. $80 to $150 depending on how many algorithms the user wants.

MTurboReverb Expandable: Allowed third party algorithms to be loaded, but editing is restricted to the easy screen. $200

MTurboReverb Pro: Allows full creation and editing of algorithms. $300

Another thought: Perhaps we should allow reverb designers to protect their algorithms; to make an algorithm which we do not allow people to view the internals of or edit.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

Hey caulixtla
I have a heavily chorused reverb that I really like at 7 secs. But if you bring it down under 2.5 secs it turns to shit.
I have posted some of it here before.
Would you be able to have a look at it and maybe turn it into a thing of beauty. You are much smarter than me.
Spencer

We haven't had any new examples posted since the beta - how does the new parallel algorithm feature sound?

caulixtla wrote:Or perhaps we can have three versions: (...)
Why making it that complicated? I think two versions would already be enough.
caulixtla wrote: Another thought: Perhaps we should allow reverb designers to protect their algorithms; to make an algorithm which we do not allow people to view the internals of or edit.
In my opinion that's how good ideas are killed and not protected. Protection is a stupid thing regarding ideas. Such a thing totally makes it impossible for other people to improve an idea. Moreover: this "making ideas a secret" thing is just a marketing thing and should not be supported in my opinion. Sure Meldaproduction is also a company with some secrets on their own, but in a very legit way, in my opinion. Especially in MTurboReverb you can directly look at the algorithms Vojtech wrote - no secret behind it. I call that a vey good step towards transparency and I hope Meldaproduction will keep it this way.

Paulnz wrote:We haven't had any new examples posted since the beta - how does the new parallel algorithm feature sound?
Didn't the parallel algorithm feature exist since the first beta? Some new audio examples surely will follow - either by me or some people here. ;)
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Tagirijus wrote:
caulixtla wrote:Or perhaps we can have three versions: (...)
Why making it that complicated? I think two versions would already be enough.
caulixtla wrote: Another thought: Perhaps we should allow reverb designers to protect their algorithms; to make an algorithm which we do not allow people to view the internals of or edit.
In my opinion that's how good ideas are killed and not protected. Protection is a stupid thing regarding ideas. Such a thing totally makes it impossible for other people to improve an idea. Moreover: this "making ideas a secret" thing is just a marketing thing and should not be supported in my opinion. Sure Meldaproduction is also a company with some secrets on their own, but in a very legit way, in my opinion. Especially in MTurboReverb you can directly look at the algorithms Vojtech wrote - no secret behind it. I call that a vey good step towards transparency and I hope Meldaproduction will keep it this way.
Paulnz wrote:We haven't had any new examples posted since the beta - how does the new parallel algorithm feature sound?
Didn't the parallel algorithm feature exist since the first beta? Some new audio examples surely will follow - either by me or some people here. ;)
The voice of reason – good post! :tu:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Hehe quite a conversation here :).
Ok, so:

- I agree with the MTurboReverb & MTurboReverbLE. No need to make it overly complex, a customer support frenzy would follow :D.

- Parallel switch only changes the global topology.

- Protecting the algorithm - well, I was also thinking that devs could then use MTurboReverb to develop their reverbs, but first, it's not that easy actually, there's quite a technology under the hood :D, but mainly "hey, so what!" ;). I mean if people wouldn't care so much about money and only money, the progress would be quite different... there wouldn't be any petrol cars anymore, we would only use digital technologies (yeah, I said it! :D ), and maybe the people would actually be smarter in general :D.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: ;). I mean if people wouldn't care so much about money and only money, the progress would be quite different... there wouldn't be any petrol cars anymore, we would only use digital technologies (yeah, I said it! :D ), and maybe the people would actually be smarter in general :D.
totally agree, vojtech! :clap: :D

Here is a Shimmer style preset I'm working on. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, if anyone else has a Shimmer style preset that sounds better let me know, so I can work on something else. I feel guilty asking for a pitch shifting feature and not making a preset using it, but if someone has something better, IMO my time could be spent on more interesting algorithms.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8980900/shimmer.mp3

Shimmer.
Wow sounds great. Don't Stop. I love it. Maybe add some heavy modulation.
Spencer

I'm not usually a big fan of shimmer effects, but – just to say that we are not all the same :wink: – for sure I would be interested in them if the pitch shifting does *not* occur at a distance of fifth or octave, intervals that I usually avoid in my music (which is atonal and not based on the usual triads and chords).
I would use the effect on single notes, not on mixes or chords, personally.
The ideal for me would be the possibility to make complex pitch shifting combinations with two or three intervals, like a major second and a fourth, or a major sixth and a fourth, and so on…

I also hope that some presets in the style of B2 will be possible, especially transparent, hyper-realistic rich long halls modulated in a subtle, dense and complex way, but remaining clean and not hiding the original sound details (I really like B2 and also Aether for this, personally much more than Valhalla Room or VVV).

I am enjoying this discussion, very interesting, and cannot wait for the finished product… Thank you for your work!

Tagirijus wrote: Didn't the parallel algorithm feature exist since the first beta?
Yes, but from the conversation (I'm not beta testing so I don't have access to the software) I understood that the new beta would allow people to use multiple algorithms in parallel.

A previous poster had mentioned that he'd read this was how the M7 worked.

Yes the original beta would allow you to do things in parallel but the newer version gives you much more accurate control.
I am experimenting with parallel and it is great. Combining different types of reverb gives a very coloured sound.
I mentioned the M7 as Casey from Bricasti says so in a youtube video. 4 Ers, 4Lrs and a Bass reverb under 150hz.
Spencer

@spencerlee - I'll continue working on it. I have 2 modes now. The first is smooth and the 2nd has short spaced pitch shifted echos. I have an idea for a 3rd one also, so hopefully I can implement that and finish it tonight.

@XComposer - Although the example only uses octave up the preset allows you to go from -12 semi tones to 12 semitones. You can also do in between intervals like 1.58 semitones. I tried it and it sounded like a horror movie, which it cool. I don't have B2 so I can't really say, but the halls I made all seem to work at long decay times and of course you can add modulation, although in my examples I usually don't use any. The default algorithm actually works really well for that type of thing. Can you show me some examples of what you're talking about? As for shifting using multiple intervals, it is possible, but I'll leave it to someone else.

About the locking of algorithms. I don't think there is a need really. I hope people steal my algorithms and make them better. All I ask is that they share them, so I can use them too. I have no desire to be a reverb developer and considering the fact that I don't have a degree in physics I doubt I'll be hired as a reverb researcher. The thing I care most about is having a good tool that can help me make music. Lots of people working on a problem can usually figure something out before 1 person can. I've learned a lot from studying Vojtech's algorithms and I experimented with his ideas, extended them or altered them to come up with new stuff. MTR has the potential to evolve over time and become better with age. I'm sure everything I've made so far could be done better somehow and I hope someone takes the time to do so(and share it with me).

Chandlerhimself I like what you are saying.
I took a different approach to you.
I used the auto generate algorithm function with music on a loop and when I heard something I liked I saved it.
I then went in and modified with my limited knowledge.
I ended up with 105 algorithms.
A small amount of these I am turning into presets. I am mainly concentrating on creating the pararllel reverb the Spencasti series of presets. Who knows if it will work. I think it will as I have put together a preset that I am using on a mix at the moment and it sounds beautiful.
This is going to take me time as I completely lost the plot with reverb and had to stop for 2 weeks.
I am also trying to fit in mixing records and building a Tube 251 type microphone with an inbuilt mikepreamp.
By the way I have sampled over 250 ERs if anybody wants them.
Spencer

Return to “Effects”