How to do screen capture tutorials with external sound card?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope I'm in the right place for this issue:

I run Cubase 9Pro on my PC, using Komplete Audio 6. I have an idea for a series of free tutorials that I would like to record. I thought I would just be able to run a screen capture program while mucking about in Cubase and that's that.

However, the screen capture I usually use (Movavi Video suite) doesn't capture any of the audio from Cubase--just the video on the screen.

(I should note that the screen capture works fine when recording just about anything else, just not when I'm running Cubase).

I assume that I somehow have to tweak the output so that the KA6 output is accounted for, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. I've seen a lot of you guys post these types of vids, so I assume it can be done. Can someone let me in on the secret?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I had the same trouble with Audiofire card, as dumb as it may sound, I ended physically patching cards ins and outs. Then I just had to select the right input channel in capture program. Silly, but it works and it's quite hassle free solution.

Maybe you have to use the standard OS audio drivers with cubase for the capture software to record it
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maybe you have to use the standard OS audio drivers with cubase for the capture software to record it
I thought of that, and then when I went into Cubase to try to make the switch, I couldn't find the right protocol in "preferences." Can anyone clue me in please?

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Could you record the master to a track in cubase & merge with video after

BERFAB wrote: I thought of that, and then when I went into Cubase to try to make the switch, I couldn't find the right protocol in "preferences." Can anyone clue me in please?

Cheers
-B

ere2learn wrote:Could you record the master to a track in cubase & merge with video after
I've been futzing around with a solution to this since I posted it. Finally went with the lower tech from your suggestion: I bought a stereo digital recorder with a line in/mic stereo input. My plan is to record a screen cap of the session and simultaneously use the recorder to get the audio from headphone jack on the external card (NI Komplete Audio 6). Then I'll (hopefully) fly the audio behind the video in post.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

-B
Berfab

This is one of the reasons I bought a Macbook, because it's much easier to record video and audio in OSX.

But on PC the easiest solution I found (by far) was to use the free tool from Melda called MRecorder.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MRecorder

You can put this on as many channels as you wish in your DAW, sync the instances together to all record at the same time, and dump a .wav of that audio to a specified folder.

I hit record on MRecorder, hit record on my screen capture software and then put the files together again later.

ere2learn wrote:Could you record the master to a track in cubase & merge with video after
This is what a lot of people (me included) do. It's the easy solution that doesn't require much faffing around. It also means you are already in your host with all your VSTs at your disposal, so applying FX like compression to your microphone track is really easy. It also means you can have separate tracks for your music/whatever sound your host is making and your vocals (don't record the master; record the mic input as one file, and everything else sans mic to another file).

Aligning the audio with the video is a little bit more challenging because you will have a little bit of latency in your audio, but nothing that a few small shifts can't fix.

(for what my opinion's worth :hihi: ) I second this. This is just the standard way sound for video is done, even in pro' situations: One file for sound, one file for video, then marry them up in editing software.

an-electric-heart wrote:
(for what my opinion's worth :hihi: ) I second this. This is just the standard way sound for video is done, even in pro' situations: One file for sound, one file for video, then marry them up in editing software.
Well, I thought of this, but now I have a practical question. I want to record me talking and screwing around with files in Cubase--going back and forth, demonstrating how to create samples and how to apply FX, etc. How can I record that in Cubase if I'm IN Cubase? Do I run another instance of Cubase to do it? If so, how do you do that--I didn't know it was possible.
Berfab

Kaine wrote:Sorry, missed this one.

Virtual Jack : http://www.jackaudio.org
VB Jack : http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm
So theoretically I could run a virtual patch cable from my external card back into the screen cap program? Or run it to the internal card? Sounds interesting, and I will try this. Though I'm certain I will screw it up somehow. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

-B
Berfab

Nope, it's all in software. It appears in the windows mixer control panel and you route it back within your capture software.

Failing that "TotalRecorder" is often my go to "capture whatever the hell is playing" solution if everything else lets me down.

VB Voicemeeter & Voicemeeter Banana (w. Recorder).

Adds virtual audio drivers (asio, mme, etc) to your system and a mixer with in- and outputs for hardware and virtual devices.
So, you can hear, route, mix and record all audio streams together.
Last edited by RexXx on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”