That's really too much now

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well here we are complaining how Windows buggers up us being creative, got to feel for this poor woman who just wanted water. Apparently, Two days later, responding to someone following up on her situation, she confirmed she was still waiting for the update to complete..

"somebody bring me some water, can't you see my fridge is out of control"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't Tech No for an Answer

The forced updates are not the worst of it. I mean, the software on your hard driver you don't want, and will never use, but can not delete is one thing (it's so much more open and controllable than OSX right?), but this antiquated, 1995 registry cluster f**k system is so convoluted and messy even the computer can't keep track of it. There was NOTHING on my mac I didn't want on it. Even the permissions files were delete able. It was a clean house. - recent pc convert.

No software intrusion here, I can delete all the madness I want. I'll not say anything positive but (shifty eye .... ) I haven't been pushed into the ani, and things are swimmingly good.....BUT, it wants/insists on updates for other things, which is BULLSHIT.

Then again, it works better than 7 did, and I liked 7.......it's as if "what's his name" had some hand in it.........

EDITED for obvious reasons.

Oh, and another day, another update. The machines are digging........
Last edited by incubus on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote:The forced updates are not the worst of it. I mean, the software on your hard driver you don't want, and will never use, but can not delete is one thing (it's so much more open and controllable than OSX right?), but this antiquated, 1995 registry cluster f**k system is so convoluted and messy even the computer can't keep track of it. There was NOTHING on my mac I didn't want on it. Even the permissions files were delete able. It was a clean house. - recent pc convert.
Yeah... The registry is a total disaster of engineering and planning. One monstrous Monolithic point of failure, often corrupted. Not manageable. The story of Windows...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Yeah... The registry is a total disaster of engineering and planning. One monstrous Monolithic point of failure, often corrupted. Not manageable. The story of Windows...
:lol:

How's BeOS doing these days?

Registry is not monolithic, not often corrupted and perfectly manageable.

Story of Windows = the glorious success story of the world's leading OS for decades, still reigning absolutely supreme and overwhelmingly dominant with literally no serious competition whatsoever from the other two desktop OSes.

8) deal with it

(it's not perfect, but it's so much better than the other two it's not even funny)

jon = The Russians

.jon wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:Yeah... The registry is a total disaster of engineering and planning. One monstrous Monolithic point of failure, often corrupted. Not manageable. The story of Windows...
:lol:

How's BeOS doing these days?
Dead, abandoned, forsaken, in cold storage as IP owned by a company that has no interest in using the IP for anything. Etc. Good old pathological capitalism.
.jon wrote:Registry is not monolithic,
Well, nearly so. What is it, two monstrous binary database files?
.jon wrote:not often corrupted
https://www.google.com/search?q=occuren ... 8&hl=en-us

Maybe not very often, but more often than is tolerable for a critical piece of software (the friggin OS), and it's often very serious and not fixable when it happens. It is a central point of failure fir an entire system. It has spawned, like so much of Wondows, a cottage industry of tools to maintain the operating system health, some of which are entirely placebo.

Complexity is the enemy of reliability and the registry is ridiculously complex. It's not even entirely human readable through the editor. It grows constantly. Registry errors result in the need for system reinstallation (or at least backup restoration), rather than simply deleting and replacing a preference file. Hell, the simple fact that the registry grows continuously (as does the WinSxS folder) results in a need to semiannually reinstall from scratch to recover system speed and reliability. Reinstallation is considered a "norm" in the computer world entirely because of this market-dominating 500-lb gorilla OS.

The alternative of configuration storage (individual, human-readable files) is far less likely to result in such critical system failure.
.jon wrote:and perfectly manageable.
:-D :-D :lol: :lol:

Even Microsoft knows it's an unsustainable mess. They've been trying to deprecate using the registry for application settings storage by the Windows apps formerly known as "metro".
.jon wrote:Story of Windows = the glorious success story of the world's leading OS for decades, still reigning absolutely supreme and overwhelmingly dominant
Having almost everything to do with shady anticompetitive business tactics and almost nothing to do with any kind of actual product superiority. It's been consistently technologically inferior to most of its competitors at many times in its history (copying from them as much as possible in an effort to have marketing appeal) and only prevailed through the abuses of pathological capitalism and consumer abuse. Well, and almost-legendary backwards-compatibility compared to most other operating systems. Not always a good thing, that.
.jon wrote:with literally no serious competition whatsoever from the other two desktop OSes.
Two? Mac OS and what? Linux? :-D Even I would go back to Windows before going to some variation of Linux. Windows actually has fewer open sores than Linux and is much easier to maintain.

But if you want a UNIX, Mac OS is the best UNIX for regular humans. Why bother with Linux if you're not a server admin? That's not a desktop OS. It's a collection of inconsistent parts, making up a server OS, trying to win market share through geeks by making the claim of being a desktop general purpose OS for everyone. It has its place, especially in servers, but not in front of non-techies and average "I only use a computer as tool to get work done" type of people.
.jon wrote:8) deal with it
I've dealt with it by abandoning it as much as possible. I only use it to temporarily serve old data across my network to my Mac and to play games (basically outdated games, at that).
.jon wrote:(it's not perfect, but it's so much better than the other two it's not even funny)
The other ONE. But, better how? Market share? That's not a design feature. Windows pales as a desktop OS in comparison to Mac OS, unless you're a hardcore gamer. I can't stand Windows. Decades of the same bullshit over and over... Easily broken, inconsistent (and getting more so), retrograde architecture still being perpetuated (drive letters were NEVER a good idea), hostile to users, flaky...

It's not Mac OS's fault that Apple treats it like a caged pig. If Apple goes out of business or kills off Mac OS, I'll just prefer to give up on computers entirely. They've only made my life a distraction of frustration and misery (including Macs).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

And the ani installed itself w/o warning.

:clap:

Honestly, I hate everything.

Based on the release frequency of Windows releases it is about 3 years between them, so next summer (2018) should see the successor to Win 10 released, hopefully less hassle free than Win 10

Win Vista: Nov 2006
Win 07: July 2009
Win 08: August 2012
Win 10: July 2015
Win 1x: Summer 2018

Isn't Windows 10 the last Windows? Anyway i think it's time to just say "Windows"
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Numanoid wrote:Based on the release frequency of Windows releases it is about 3 years between them, so next summer (2018) should see the successor to Win 10 released, hopefully less hassle free than Win 10

Win Vista: Nov 2006
Win 07: July 2009
Win 08: August 2012
Win 10: July 2015
Win 1x: Summer 2018
I thought Win10 was the final Windows, forever to be updated at random intervals, whether one wants them or not. :(

t3toooo wrote:Isn't Windows 10 the last Windows? Anyway i think it's time to just say "Windows"
You beat me to it! :x :D

Win XP was the last Windows :borg:

Googly Smythe wrote:forever to be updated at random intervals, whether one wants them or not. :(
No, by 2026 it is unsupported, you shall have no more updates:
Support status
RTM:
-Mainstream support until October 13, 2020,
-Extended support until October 14, 2025

Version 1607 LTSB:
-Mainstream support until October 12, 2021
-Extended support until October 13, 2026

Numanoid wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:forever to be updated at random intervals, whether one wants them or not. :(
No, by 2026 it is unsupported, you shall have no more updates:
Support status
RTM:
-Mainstream support until October 13, 2020,
-Extended support until October 14, 2025

Version 1607 LTSB:
-Mainstream support until October 12, 2021
-Extended support until October 13, 2026
My mind boggles at what computing will be like in 9 years time - probably some kind of thin server, I imagine, with nothing but a screen and subscriptions to Google and AppleSoft (Apple changes it's name when it buys out Microsoft. And Waves. And every other plugin developer).
I need my cocoa. And slippers.
:) :tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”