Do you buy impulse responses?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Do you buy impulse responses?

yes
33%
no
38%
it depends
23%
maybe
6%

Total votes: 64

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lots of good ideas here! Too bad Spirit Canyon is gone. I agree with ghettosynth about uniqueness. I was just looking through my thousands of IRs and noticed that most were based on spaces, instruments and various objects or other technology; very few vocal IRs. I would buy vocal IRs categorised into male/female singers, duets and groups, from bass to soprano. Not held notes, but vocal FX. If they were in an plugin that enabled shaping with EQ and envelope, that would also be good.
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Too bad Spirit Canyon is gone.
One could try to contact him via his homepage : http://palancar.net

If I bought them I'd feel like I have to use them instead of all the fun I'm looking forward to having trawling through the 1000's of free ones already on my hard drive!

paulbreeze wrote:
Thank you. I did, and the IRs are no longer available. But he is sharing great ambient music for download!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

paulbreeze wrote:Sure. Love Spirit Canyon Audio's stuff.
Spirit Canyon was interesting, the closest thing to it are the Prime Sonic Spaces collections.

These are a much more broad group of Impulses since they contain the experimental, hardware, acoustic spaces as well as multi-fx.
The multi-fx are pretty cool as they are literally multible fx in one impulse response.
Also they have reversed fx and multi-directional fx simultaneously. 
The entire library is 24-32 bit.

I concur with what others have said. If they're unique spaces or niche gear then it would depend. The ones in chipcrusher have a theme, so smaller themed packs could be an avenue. If we're talking about a massive, well organised set like those in speakerphone, I'm sure people would appreciate a more DIY approached, cheaper alternative. Also open to completely designed textures and spaces, as in fantastical unrealistic textures. As this is something we can all do by throwing random samples into a convolution reverb, they'd need to be be up to snuff, or have a usp. I'd be willing to pay the price of a preset soundbank for a smaller sized set, or in the case of a speakerphone alternative, considerably more than that, relative to how extensive it is.

Edit: realised I should mention that I see them as a sound design tool, quite similar to single wave cycles. I use stuff like guitar cab IRs as easy tonal shapers. Also more bonkers stuff like convolving strings with piano samples to get strange ambient beds and drones. The sky is the limit. The cool thing about fruity convolver is you can use the stretch parameter to repitch to get more musical results, and you basically have Edison's editing tools at your disposal.

Why not?
If something is worth owning, its worth buying.

I spent $$ on Altiverb, just wish the devs had kept up with the windows versions.
Still, some of the best reverbs available are impulse responses and now with more powerful computers, the CPU cycles are not as much of an issue.

In all the many free impulse responses I have downloaded (many), still most of the ones I have found usable were purchased. (Altiverb, Prime Sonic Space, Best-service, etc.)

The free bricasti were nice but limited by comparison to all the amazing halls and unique spaces available on the market.

Free is nice but I sometimes choose not to be limited by it.

I voted maybe, because although I bought some in the past, I don't think I'll buy more IRs again soon. There are already thousands of free impulses around, especially from expensive hardware gear. Plus, after watching Diego Stocco's tutorial on convolution processing, I am more interested into making my own creative impulses. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvJWlKBW0Kk
https://gumroad.com/l/FFS02
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Michael L wrote:
paulbreeze wrote:
Thank you. I did, and the IRs are no longer available. But he is sharing great ambient music for download!
I emailed him once a few months ago to directly pay pal him funds for Kaleidoscopy (the only set I didn't own) but he didn't seem interested - Weird, turning down free money !

mcbpete wrote:Weird, turning down free money !
Darrell's giving us his latest really good ambient album for free (in mp3, OGG and FLAC) so I think money isn't his thing.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:
Darrell's giving us his latest really good ambient album for free (in mp3 and FLAC) so I think money isn't his thing.
Well, not that I disagree, and it's slightly off topic, but ambient music is REALLY hard to sell!

There are multiple people, all completely unknown, in my bandcamp feed with upward of 100 releases or more each, hours upon hours of ambient music, available for peanuts.

I think that it might actually be easier to sell punk albums from the local unknown bands who've only been playing for a few weeks. Noise might be harder to sell, I'm not sure actually.

ghettosynth wrote:
Michael L wrote:
Darrell's giving us his latest really good ambient album for free (in mp3 and FLAC) so I think money isn't his thing.
Well, not that I disagree, and it's slightly off topic, but ambient music is REALLY hard to sell!

There are multiple people, all completely unknown, in my bandcamp feed with upward of 100 releases or more each, hours upon hours of ambient music, available for peanuts.

I think that it might actually be easier to sell punk albums from the local unknown bands who've only been playing for a few weeks. Noise might be harder to sell, I'm not sure actually.
It's an interesting subject, and as a part time music seller (I sell CDs, vinyls and audio cassettes online) this is something that interested me a lot so I created this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=477557

Feel free to continue the discussion there.

Honestly, half the fun in weird impulse responses is making your own. Rather than look for another vendor, I'd suggest folks simply record some sounds, mess with them in an audio editor, apply some fades in/out to control envelope, and see what results you get. Won't take long at all to get the hang of it - it's actually easy.

As to free money, well like someone said I'm in it for the art now. I had a lot of fun with Spirit Canyon Audio and really appreciate all the support this community gave it, but now I really just want to focus on enjoying music, whether listening, making or talking about it. :party:

Some traditional high end hardware reverbs from Prime Sonic Space:

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... -responses

Nielzie wrote:No, but I do impulse buys :hihi:
:hihi:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”