FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Xiangqi wrote:is that the old 'dual chorus'? i'll be it sounds great.

i've got a couple of compressors -- joyo and biyang -- on the way...
Hopefully you got the Joyo JF-10, in which case change the transistors to 2N5088's or 2SC1849's. It already has the CA3080 chip but it's a DIP which some people say sounds different from the old TO-100 metal cans. If you can find an old one, that would be worth swapping out, too.

yes, it's a jf-10... thanks for mentioning mods...

i'll have to check out those parts.

The JF-10 is killer. I once modded a bunch of them to exact vintage Ross specs and Bad Cat Amps ended up buying them all from me. Those transistors are the most important things to change.

interesting, the idea of modding pedals. seems like it might be a decent side business, rather than building complete pedals from scratch... even without the potential biz side of things, seems like a way to increase the quality -- or at least 'personalization' of one's own pedals....

...has anyone heard of 'CNZ' pedals? It looks like a new line of mostly 'mini pedals'. There is a more 'full footprint' 'Timewarp Multi-Delay' pedal, and the LEDs appear to be in a 'Rowin Twin Looper' style. Actually, the knobs are in the same style, too. Most all of the other CNZ pedals appear to be mini-pedals.

Oh, has anyone seen/heard the new Biyang/Wang's modules, for their pedalboard enclosure? Apparently the componets are all high-quality sourced. $45 a pop for each module, basically.

check it out: bananana effects

i've seen some of these at both ebay, and reverb.com.

Dammit. I've been ITB for so long that I forgot how bad -- and how expensive -- the GAS can be for hardware. Got a Boss Katana as a Yule present, and now I'm back in the pedal vortex.

I'm working my through this topic, but thought I'd mention a find that's recent for me. Hope it wasn't covered exhaustively in earlier pages here.

It's the Ripcord by MyVolts. They're a reputable company that did a test run of some early adapters in an uglified form, and got a great response from the guitar community, so they're going into production using Kickstarter money. Final manufacture of 10,000 units should complete in February, if no problems arise.

It's an adapter that lets you plug into a USB battery and upconvert to 9V. The other end of the adapter can be a center-negative plug for guitar pedals, as well as other conversions later. The base unit includes five different tips and a polarity reverse adapter. According to my friend google, a typical 9V battery is about 500mah, and I've already got a 16K battery with two USB outs, so that's a LOT of hours before recharge. Especially a good thing for verbs, of course, since they eat batteries like potato chips.

If you're into a complex powered pedal board, it may not be the greatest solution, needless to say. Though they do sell a daisy chain -- so it could maybe be an emergency backup? But I just want to velcro my soon-to-arrive Hall of Fame Mini and Flashback Mini to the back of the Katana, plug into the loop, drop the USB battery into the bottom of the speaker cab. Voila, one-piece grab and go unit, don't need to look for extra AC outs or deal with noisy wall power.

Here's the KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48 ... ower-cable

And here's their order page: http://myvolts.com/Ripcord_Pledge_Calculator

They look pretty!

sounds like a great rig! will have to check these ripcords out.

you like the katana? you have a 50 or 100 or stack?

from the demos, the 'brown' setting sounds fantastic to these ears.

tc pedals are always great.

I loooooooove the Katana! I got the 100W 1x12 combo. As soon as I have some more hours on it, I'm planning to start a thread here about using it for recording and re-amping. I own an original BlackFace Deluxe and a blackface-modded 70's Silverface Twin. I've played through Marshalls and a lot of other amps over the decades. And this thing is more fun than them all. Way versatile, sounds amazing, the software is great for tweaking. And the Brown channel is fantastic, as good as anything I've ever heard. I know I'm still in the honeymoon period with it, but this thing has finally cracked the modelling code, IMHO. For a hell of a lot less than Kemper and AXE. I'm sure those are awesome for perfectionists and OCD tweakers, but this is a great playing amp.

The GA-FC foot controller is out of stock everywhere, because the Katana is such a hit. Gives you footswitching for four presets, on and off effects loop, and plugs for volume and wah expression pedals. Honestly, outside of maybe a compressor or dirt pedal in front, I don't see how you could need more to go with it. Frankly, I'm pleased with the reverb and delay on it, too, but wanted the TC pedals to give me an extra layer of goodness.

It looks like the combo can also have the speaker leads pulled, carefully, to drive an external cab, though it's not supposed to. And there's a guy who's working to put together a complete box to let you get full MIDI over USB.

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

Historically, his MIDI boxes cost about $200USD. At that point, I'd be able to plug in my FCB-1010, so I'm going to wait on the GA-FC until I see how that goes.

.... Sorry. I don't fanboi much, but this one has blown my fuses... :P

Anybody who wants to get totally lost in this, and hasn't already hit TGP about it, here's over 200 pages:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.1744135/

I don't know if any amp will ever sound as good as the Deluxe when it's cranked, but that may just be so many hours in front of it that it's embedded in my brain as the perfect sound for me.

Since this is the Pedals thread, not the Amps thread, one way to look at the Katana is that it gives you 55 perfectly reproduced Boss effects pedals for a little over $300. :D

Xiangqi wrote:is that the old 'dual chorus'? i'll be it sounds great.

i've got a couple of compressors -- joyo and biyang -- on the way...

It does indeed... :D

https://soundcloud.com/fuzzyparts/k1riibimodechorusdemo

sounds lush. cool!

when purchasing transistors, like 2N5088, does it matter if they're the 'NOS' (they look like NOS) for say, $4 apiece, or are the .10 ones cool?

.10 jobbies are fine. 5088s aren't a mojo transistor but are fine for most builds :)

PS They tend to be more expensive in the UK so use a 3904 instead if you're over here

It's possible that metal can transistors provide better shielding.

On a side note, I've noticed that NTE equivalent JFET's tend to be more expensive than the real things.

Didn't know they came as a metal can. Remember seeing a weird one (on FSB or DIYSB) in one of those domed packages like a 5133.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”