Relab VSR S24 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: In case you're seriously asking, they did a Lexicon 480L emulation. I don't own it, wish I did, but I've never heard anyone with experience with the original question the authenticity of the Relab plugin. So, they're saying their VSR-S24 is to the VSS6 as their 480 was to the original.

This company doesn't lack credibility in that regard.
Well, not according to the competition, who also claim to have produced even better, more complete emulations with a superior interface. One of those competitors is VerbSuite by Slate, which replaced Relab in their catalog.

False claim? True claim? Who knows? They all make the same claims, fully knowing they are all un-verifiable. It's called the "emulation game" and it consists of promising people $5000 worth of hardware in plugin form for the far more "reasonable" $300. Some buy, most don't.

Life goes on.

:tu:

irvin wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
This company doesn't lack credibility in that regard.
Well, not according to the competition, who also claim to have produced even better, more complete emulations with a superior interface. One of those competitors is VerbSuite by Slate, which replaced Relab in their catalog.
I don't think marketing-hero Slate chose a convolver (even if Liquidsonics makes one of the best ones available) as a 480L emulation for quality reasons ...

aMUSEd wrote:
VSR S24 is the first professional reverb with multiple selectable reverberation engines which can completely change the overall spaciousness, color and reverb characteristics to simulate any environment accurately.
Surely not? What about Valhalla reverbs, they have all sorts of algos.
VSR S24 is a faithful recreation of a very high-end sets of algorithms for both music and post productions.

The reverb excels at applying ‘prettier than life’ reverberation to many sources of a mix or complete stereo/multi-channel stems. It adds complex Early Reflections as well as uncorrelated diffused response to the signal.
They need a better proof reader
Only on kvr. :dog: Only on kvr :dog:

irvin wrote:
bmanic wrote:
irvin wrote:
kmonkey wrote: If you can't hear a difference trust me your hearing is damaged. Or simply you don't know what to hear in reverb like the dude which think Eventide Ultra reverb is of same quality.
Hi, Monkey!

I'm "the dude which think Eventide Ultrareverb is of the same quality". Not only that, I also think there's quite a few equal or better at a lower price: Nimbus, Slate's VerbSuite Classics, Hofa, Acon Verberate, etc.

A little tweaking on good music material and all reverbs sound great and virtually identical (in the right hands, of course!). There's no need to go crazy for the latest release - even though I can understand it's a strong urge for "collectors".
Umm.. that's just your "opinion". Not a fact.

And I happen to highly disagree. Tweaking a reverb, no matter how much you do it, doesn't yield the same results unless the algorithm is pretty much identical.

Sure, within the context of a mix you may very well decide you are happy with the results of X/Y/Z whatever but that still doesn't change the fact that one is different from another.

If you want the sound of the VSR S24, you need that plugin (or the real hardware). It's as simple as that.

You can of course make a great mix using just stock plugins of a DAW but it is irrelevant. You can NOT make the SAME mix I do, with my chosen plugins, using only stock plugins in the DAW. Your mix will be different. Will it be worse? Will it be better? It's irrelevant. It will be different. Worse or better is subjective. Different is not. It can be objectively proven.
Of course, that's my opinion. Nobody is dealing with facts here, even those who think that the VSR S24 sounds 'like the hardware' (whatever hardware you imagine it emulates, given that the developer has not made that known).

The bottom line - and the point of my post - is that, in the right hands, nobody will know or care which reverb (or reverbs) was used on a mix. They all sound good enough to the point that the differences are negligible. But that's in the right hands, though: David Pensado will do a better mix with Valhalla than you or Monkey would with any reverb of your choice.

They are all good. Different? Sure! Better? Nope. This reverb is definitely not better than Hoffa, Nimbus, Slate, Acon, etc. Just different and very attractive to plugin collectors, who always think the latest is the greatest - only to forget it once the next shiny toy comes along.
The fact that you are using the word 'better' to describe an audio engineering tool, is a red flag. Over years of engineering I've found that we generally start to use that word less and less, because we start to realize how subjective this world is.

A free reverb, sounds like gold to one pair of ears, and trash to another, a thousand dollar reverb sounds like gold to one pair of ears, and trash to another. As demonstrated by this thread.

What matters for your music, and the music of your peers on this forum, is what matches, or suits the message of their music, or in the case of post production / film, what has the best blend or character for the tone of the film / characters / spaces in the film. If you are writing for children's cartoons, highly expensive gear will generally sound wrong, out of place, and not fit the tone of it. If you are writing EDM, you are likely to break rules, you don't need a post production reverb like VSS/VSR, but you might break the rules and use it.

For the record - I've used the Original TC VSS3 which this reverb is based on: same unique interface layout, same unique cross modulation structure, same algorithm names and same reverb character, and VSS / VSR. The VSR is definitely an emulation of the VSS lol, companies legally distance themselves from explicitly using the emulated gear names, unless they are officially licensed - check out most amp sim names. I used it over 10 years ago for a few years, and loved it for doing something nothing else did. I had to sell it and was without it for about 5 years until the VSR was released. So when VSR came out I was excited. In my opinion the VSR is close, but not quite there to the level of the VSS3, but the VSR still does a similar thing that is quite unique in the early reflections and tail. You may not have a need, or a place in your workflow for the VSR reverb, but man, this changes my life and many other people's lives by existing.

Your argument of Dave Pensado vs a Monkey is useless in the real world, because in the real world, great engineers are competing with great engineers, not monkeys. Therefore we do push ourselves to find the best tools for our personal workflow, if they can give you an extra edge, so be it. Nothing wrong with that. You use everything you got and then some to become the best engineer you can be. If we were competing with monkeys, like the world you seem to be living in, then yes, you are completely correct, the tools don't matter. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm competing against amazing engineers. I'm going to push every last stop from my mind, my environment, and my tools to become a better engineer.

Thanks Relab!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

irvin wrote:

False claim? True claim? Who knows?
Oh but we know! It is a truly False claim and a bold False one.

You are not true KVRian if you after so much time does not difference between IR reverb (no matter how fancy tech is bellow it) or true reverb with algorithm behind it. When i speak about difference i am not talking about technology used in it i am talking about all cons of using IR impulses.

I mean even a short glimpse of looking at Slate IR GUI (Verbsuite) and compare it to Relab algorithmic reverb will give you enough information on how "superior" this Slate thing is to all other algorithmic reverbs. Lol. It is hilarious.

It is like you are comparing static limited sample rompler Roland JV-1010 (Verbsuite) to a full blown Workstation from Roland or Kurzweil (Relab VSR) :tu: - sure both can produce sound in it's own situation but come on.

Ever wondered why Slate start always with something along the lines of " we have the most perfect product in our portfolio now"....ahhahahaha...

It's pretty clear to me that Relab removed their product from Slate because they want bigger piece of the subscription, and not the other way around. And as usual he called the replacement as the bestest product ever.

For me Algorithmic Reverb always win compared to convolver one.
musisikamar.com

xamido wrote:It's pretty clear to me that Relab removed their product from Slate because they want bigger piece of the subscription, and not the other way around. And as usual he called the replacement as the bestest product ever.

For me Algorithmic Reverb always win compared to convolver one.
Yes that was my assumption as well. VerbSuite is okay, but there's zero advantage to using a convolution version of an algorithmic reverb that's available ITB. Not even Slate could make that sound like a good deal, lol. Especially when it debuted without the Random Hall algorithm!

Fortunately I grabbed the LX480 Complete on sale and ditched the extra $10/month for the Slate bundle.

VerbSuite still sounds pretty good with Bricasti impulses, but I'm definitely not going to use it for the 480.

Between this, B2 and the Seventh Heaven, got most of my reverb needs covered for many years to come. The VSR S24 is what's been missing all this time, they complement each other nicely. Since I also own the Eventide's reverb plugins and Reverbical, seems like it's going to be long time with no gas for another reverb, except waiting for the MTurbo Reverb for the Mxxx. Truly a great moment for reverberation :tu:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

One of my favourite reverbs but always beyond my budget.
Relab have a Black Friday deal: VSR S24 $139

I have been enjoying the demo of this for a few days. It is very impressive! I worried that it would be too similar to Nimbus, but I find them to be very different. I have a hard time deciding which I prefer and whether I can motivate owning both.

I like them both but I prefer Nimbus. Great sound and much easier to use for me. Relab preset system sucks and Exponential Audio’s is great, IMO.

I prefer VSR S24 to both Nimbus & Seventh Heaven, but I just love the sound of TC 6000 so it was an easy choice for me.

comfortablynick wrote:I like them both but I prefer Nimbus. Great sound and much easier to use for me. Relab preset system sucks and Exponential Audio’s is great, IMO.
I think the Exponential Audio preset system would become the industry standard. Super convenient to use!

The past few days I've been trying the Relab plugins, but I'm a bit disappointed. The sound is great (recent reverb plugins all sound great), but the user interface is inconvenient (especially preset loading).

I also tried HD-Cart. But with plugins like Fabfilter Pro-R, Softube T-sar1, Lexicon Native Reverb and Exponential Audio Phoenix/R4, it's really easy to emulate the sound of the classic reverbs.

Reverbs sound very good these days. And are very versatile. And interesting:
-Fabfilter Pro-R: flexible decay settings
-Zynaptiq Adaptiverb: adapts to the harmonic content of the music
-MTurboReverb: you can create your own algoritmic formulas
-Eventide Fission: reverb on the tonal or transient part of the sound

kiezum wrote: -Eventide Fission: reverb on the tonal or transient part of the sound
MTurboReverb loaded into MXXX can do this too, as can all their multiband plugins on their own.

Or just roll your on with a couple of transient shapers and your verb of choice
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”