Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

wagtunes wrote:Money's a little tight. I'm not looking to do anything illegal or unethical. I'm looking to see if there is a way I can save some money, something I think we each try to do when we can.
Sure, but you may already be backed up with the gear you already have, so need to try to save money when buying more gear, because you already got what you need.

In my situation, I am excited about learning about new gear, but I think Kontakt 5 will continue to serve me well. I shall not beg for a discount :borg:
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes wrote: So here's my question. If I can somehow get HALion 5 used (I assume they'll have to transfer the license if even possible) will I then be able to upgrade to HALion 6 free under the grace period (as it's new to me) or because it's an old license, the free upgrade doesn't apply?
I think you already know the answer, but here it is: NO!

Very simple. As have been discussed elsewhere (regarding Cubase 9 launch, if I remember well) the grace period is attached to the "activation" of the license. If you buy HALion 5 second hand, you will likely buy an already activated license, therefore, unless that license was activated during the grace period (which is unlikely) you will have to pay for the upgrade.
Fernando (FMR)

Sampleconstruct wrote:The notorious discount discussion fills every single KVR thread.
It'll be 30 pages or so. :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

jacqueslacouth wrote:I've picked up pretty much every Steinberg instrument at ridiculous sale prices in recent years. I don't think I have paid full price for anything yet (Padshop Pro, Retrologue, Groove Agent 4, Halion Sonic (+all the libraries like Dark Planet etc) GA4 expansions). Exceptional value! :tu:
jacqueslacouth wrote:Honestly? No secret, just got them at the right time. I wasn't specifically waiting for them, but when they came up at a good price, I jumped on them. Pretty sure they were all direct from Steinberg too. No 3rd parties.
Same here. This is exactly how it's done.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:The notorious discount discussion fills every single KVR thread.
It'll be 30 pages or so. :hihi:
I think 40 at least :wink:

Being a Cubase user, I am interested.
I really like what the S did with Cubase 9 (sampler track, audio-in's, frEQuency, Retrologue...) so I guess they want to try and do the same here with Halion now. This may be a big upgrade.
May be far more interesting than yet another reverb or synth.
=============================================================
@ Wagtunes:
Me, I cannot spend thousands of Euros on gear, nor am I a collectioner. But I do know that even we, European milkcows, can buy Steinberg products legally for a lot less than at Steinberg's if we just look around. Don't contact Steinberg, but ask your local music stores.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Looks great, my big issue with H5 was how difficult it was to create content to distribute, with no provided information on how to do the totally over complex process. It looks like they've put effort into that and I really hope it is truly easy to save/load 3rd party stuff this time. Native Instruments made it easy to develop and distribute content, they realised that success is improved by 3rd party content being available. With these types of creative systems it should be a very high priority imo. Hopefully they have got it right :)

Other than that H5 was insanely good and very efficient cpu wise. Script support is very interesting to me, that should open up a world of possibilities!

Yes the process of importing third party sample libs into H5 is insanely convoluted.

I bought Halion 5 3rd party for around $175 in october 2016.

I debated long and hard which VI.

Glad i went Halion/Sonic.

Deep and glorious.

Will definitely go H6.

Plus eLicenser isn't an issue since i use it for my Vienna libraries too.

Great combos - VSL and HSO.

I also have a quick question regarding the grace period: Halion 5 is still available, and I already have Halion Sonic 2. If I buy the upgrade to Halion 5 now (thats €99), I will be eligible for the free update to Halion 6 right? My Halion5, although an upgrade, will be activated after December 29. Anybody know for sure if that counts? 8)

I guess HS2->H6 will be a more expensive upgrade.

Yes, you'll be eligible. I already did that when I went to HALion from HALion Sonic in an earlier version, and they gave me the last version. But it doesn't hurt to ask directly, of course
Fernando (FMR)

:hihi:

Though, seriously, not surprising as a lot of people have accumulated tons of stuff. Most of the people in this thread have more plugins than I and even I can't see myself getting anything if it's not cheap enough. It must be a something super special if I would buy it at full price. Hell, I even find it hard to care about free stuff these days.
No signature here!

Why didn't Steinberg create their own version of Synthmaker/Synthedit/Reaktor yet?

You know, since they created VST and all.

...but that's none of my business.

:neutral:

The two things missing are
1) HALion Hosting VST Plugins
2) System Midi Port I/O in Plugin operation "following focus" of the active HALion instance/program

There is the true Kore2 replacement

Orbit-50 wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:I've picked up pretty much every Steinberg instrument at ridiculous sale prices in recent years. I don't think I have paid full price for anything yet (Padshop Pro, Retrologue, Groove Agent 4, Halion Sonic (+all the libraries like Dark Planet etc) GA4 expansions). Exceptional value! :tu:
jacqueslacouth wrote:Honestly? No secret, just got them at the right time. I wasn't specifically waiting for them, but when they came up at a good price, I jumped on them. Pretty sure they were all direct from Steinberg too. No 3rd parties.
Same here. This is exactly how it's done.
Thanks for the confirmation...was beginning to think I was going mad and that I had imagined it all!

Return to “Instruments”