Taron's OSC tracks...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AH, Music Tracker, Hmmm...very cool! So often when I read posts by some extra clever members, I hope to find some of their songs just to know how advanced their genius reveals itself to be, but most of them are either not smart enough to figure out how to get their songs listed here, or try to hide just how brilliant the music gets from such authorities. :lol:

Anyway, I will try to make some effort and get some of my songs listed here. Why not just post all my OSC songs thus far...
Hmmm...does the Music Tracker pick up whole Albums from SC, too? Let's try...
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/sets/on ... -challenge

For those few here, who may not know the OSC, it's the "One Synth Challenge" on KVR, where artists are asked to make entire songs by using only one chosen, free vst instrument and only free vst effects besides their DAW's effects. It's a beautiful challenge and brings out fantastic music from many amazing musicians. :hyper:

:tu: :tu:
Lot of pleasant moments.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

AH, SWEET! Thank you, Lotuzia! :hug:

A really eclectic showreel, great stuff :tu:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Thanks! :) ...that's the other wonderful thing about doing the OSC thing. Though it's at least a month from song to song and the mood and inspirations are automatically very different, the heart of it somehow stays in the same place, binding the tracks somehow somewhere from within a different dimension. :borg: :lol:

Thanks again! :hug:

I have a strong respect for you guys doing the OSC and like the idea!

Did not manage to get in there over time, because my stuff usually uses not one source only usually - and when this was the case, then it was not the chosen synth from OSC not having a look at this contest when creating :clown:
But hopefully this will change when the right synth appears :wink:
Restriction can be a great thing.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

It's fantastic to me! I deeply love this kind of challenge, because it forces you to experiment and discover things, you'd normally hardly bother to explore. This alone is very inspiring already, but the narrow focus on sound source also allows you to pay far more attention to the mix, which is a fantastic school. I don't think I've ever made that many big leaps in improving my mixes.

There were a number of outstanding synths already, including Charlatan 2, U-He's Tyrell N6 and lately synth1. Those are quite exciting and spectrum rich little beasties. They all have their own kinds of challenges, of course, but also their own kind of wonderful character.

I can only recommend every musician to take the plunge at least once! :)

This month it is a rather unusual challenge, because HY-Mono is featured. I decided to make a true mono lane track, meaning I did not use any polyphony for the respective instrument and the result was really fun for me. It's not a very friendly synth, though, with quite a bit of core troubles, but that, too, made it exciting to wrestle with. :hihi:

I think it's a good challenge but I don't like some of the rules! I made a track with OB-Xd but I didn't enter it since I was recording the synth to get a consistent sound (breaking this rule among others).

You mean, you "sampled" the synth to then treat the waveform for consistency? :shock: :uhuhuh: ... :lol:
Yeah, you have to live with some compromises, but that OB-Xd was a real pain anyway, if I remember correctly. There have been and will be many others that won't be so dramatic.
I think, that's the danger of coming from a real strong engineering background and having to dial back, rather than- like me- coming from a really weak engineering know-how and climbing up.
For example, only because of the OSC I have discovered the use of limiters, HAHAHA... :oops: ...before then I was mainly relying on compressors, but even that I really underutilized. Along the way I also began to routinely use side-chained compressors, which is standard for me now, too, as well as a number of nifty little methods to control the overall pressure and presence of the mix.
For those of you, who are already far more advanced, it could be painful to rely only on DAW fx and free vsts, but even then, I think, it makes a good challenge to translate your expert knowledge into simpler setups, which anyone can "afford". 8)

Taron wrote:You mean, you "sampled" the synth to then treat the waveform for consistency? :shock: :uhuhuh: ... :lol:
yea it was because I made a kick drum with 2 layers of the ob-xd and had unison activated on each, the purpose of the unison was to fatten the drum - each time I played the sound I pretty much had a different sound each time because of the unison voice phase, haha

Oh god, yeah... :bang: ...really a hellish thing. I think, I made a lousy little excuse for a track with that one, because I couldn't handle the madness either. One point to me, though not too relevant, is that we really advertise those synths when we make tracks for them. So...if we "cheat" with such measures like sampling, people could accidentally believe it was possible to do such things with it. That would be evil deception! :neutral:

OH NO, I meant the Or2v, not the OBxd...don't think I even tried that one, I don't remember exactly.
That was my G.I.G.O track (garbage in, garbage out), hehehe! :shrug:

Return to “Music Cafe”