---

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone want to give me a quick refresher on the Helix? The Line 6 modulation/delay effects were always great, but the last time I used any Line 6 gear, the amp models had fallen way behind the pack. I had PodFarm, but I don't miss it enough to really care unless we're talking about significantly updated modeling. Is that the case?

I honestly haven't kept up with anything Line6 related in years so maybe they improved.

I own a Helix. The FX are great.  I would rate most of the amp models to be a hair better (subjectively I can dial in tones on the Helix I like way easier) than amplitube but a bit grainier/fizzy than s-gear. With right IR's it is a spectacular live rig.  I reserve the right to change my mind once I get it native. But, I think the amp modeling is still a tick behind the best native stuff. But the Helix is dream live rig.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Any idea what copy protection it will use?

pattonfreak1 wrote:Any idea what copy protection it will use?

Only a guess but their Podfarm suite has been either locked to hardware interfaces or Ilok/Pace. I'd expect the same.

I would think they'll need to introduce some kind of ala carte options to stay competitive. $399 is steep when some of your competition allows the purchasing of individual amp models or amp packages for a small fraction of that price.

we're all speculating here on the price of this software. I would think that they would need to be in the competitive neighborhood of AmpliTube, SGear, GTRRig, etc. I'd be very surprised at them going out at $400 when the competition is less than half that number.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

EvilDragon wrote:It'll be $399... special pricing TBA for Helix hardware users.
$399 confirmed. And it's $99 for Helix hardware owners. Plugin can also send presets to the hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ3qAiBQTGs
Image Image Image Image

So... 399USD for essentially the old "Platinum" version of PODFarm and then some... Hm... considering that this is supposed to be all new DSP code, it's fair to ask for that price. But looking at the current existing competition... it's a complete different picture.

Kind of surprised that the HELIX hardware users still have to invest 100USD to get the "software version". Usually Line6 did offer that for free... but I guess time are changing.

Question to HELIX hardware users:
Something that always annoyed me with PODfarm was the routing. Is that completely free to do whatever I want now? For example - whatever pedal pre-amp, and whatever in the loop?

Additional to that, PODFarm's "amps" were always focusing on the "Preamp sound"; not the power amp, the sagging, etc. The cabinets were also not the strong suit of the suite. Has that changed?

Like I said - the competition didn't sleep in recent years. And Line6 has to present something unholy outstanding in order to adjust that price. Quantity != Quality - as much as this thing is great for on-stage usage and touring.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I'm down to buy this along with a new Ibanez 8-String this year. I wanted the pedal version, but can't justify $2000 for it, so this will have to do for now.
:borg:

2000? Damn, I have a deal for you :hihi:

Nah, it would be BRUTAL to ship. Probably at least 200 usd.

sprnva wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:It'll be $399... special pricing TBA for Helix hardware users.
$399 confirmed. And it's $99 for Helix hardware owners. Plugin can also send presets to the hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ3qAiBQTGs
99 is doable. We paid so much for the hardware though.

EDIT: I haven't done enough research, but I wonder if this will help alleviate some of the limits with using IR's since it's computer based and not specific processor based?

incubus wrote:2000? Damn, I have a deal for you :hihi:

Nah, it would be BRUTAL to ship. Probably at least 200 usd.

Well your money is worth quite a bit more than ours, so it's definitely cheaper there.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/61680/Guit ... _Board.htm

It's $1,999.00 Canadian so after Taxes and shizz it's up in the $2000 area. I'd love to have the money for a pedal, because hardware is just more fun.

I'm not a very good guitar player, so I think the Native version will be good enough!
:borg:

If it's the same it will be good but be aware: I bought the board to REPLACE using a computer. Ultimately, I've kinda been forced back into the native arena and frankly, it better be ace for that price.

Return to “Effects”