Korg Gadget comes to Mac...also as AU, VST, AAX, NKS support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I mainly want the ArpOdyssei :)
But taking 30 Gadget's more is also nice.....yes, if the price is not out of this world.
They might still have to figure out how far they can go here from reactions.
Not far. Quantity is not equal to quality. They might as well had all these within the KLC (except mayeb the Odissey). I see nothing there that really stands out, just small specialized "gadgets". Good for doing quick sketches, but seem lmited. I'll have to demo to take conclusions.
No one is forced to buy/use it.
I have Gadget since years and demoed nearly all stuff i could as AU....so i will have my usage of it.
Of course it's a personal preference and useless to other people workflow.
The convergence between mobile and desktop/notebook is a big plus for me personally too.

Cinebient wrote: The convergence between mobile and desktop/notebook is a big plus for me personally too.
Yes, THAT convergence is a trend, unfortunately. A trend that lowers/dumbers the level of everything (applications. GUIs, plug-ins, etc. - even reading and writing habits). It's like the world is becoming populated with Dumbos :-(

Putting it simply - this gadget thing is a huge step back from Korg Legacy Collection. Even if the synth engines of some are there (you mentioned M1 and Wavestation, and it seems M20 too), the editing features are NOT. These are dumbed down versions, for people that only care about picking sounds and make "sonhs" quickly.

Clearly, there seems to be a market for this, which is even more sad. It means that user demands are lowering too. I shouldn't be surprised, considering the A/M "mobile trends", but it makes me sad.

Having a powerful desktop, with huge amounts of RAM and a big HD display to run dumbed/down "gadgets in flat GUIs... :borg:
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: The convergence between mobile and desktop/notebook is a big plus for me personally too.
Yes, THAT convergence is a trend, unfortunately. A trend that lowers/dumbers the level of everything (applications. GUIs, plug-ins, etc. - even reading and writing habits). It's like the world is becoming populated with Dumbos :-(
And that is also YOUR personal meaning.
Doesn't mean it feels for everyone.
I see it the other way.
At the end....just don't buy these things.
There are million of tools for every device and every workflow out there.
I still see unique things released on mobile and desktop platform.

Cinebient wrote: I still see unique things released on mobile and desktop platform.
My hope was that they would stay "UNIQUE". As fas as they would be confined to the mobiles, they wouldn't hurt :help:

Korg has a fantastic inherited "treasure chest" they could explore. We were talking, in another thread, about the PS series (PS-3100, PS-3300 and PS-3200), a fantastic line of synths, completely different from anything else, that even today would make a blast if they would be ported to software.

They also had the Trident, another great synth. They finally had the best Physical Modeling synth - the Z1.

Did they pick these up? No, they decided to repackage what they already have in software as dumbed down versions, to sell them again. A very "japanese" way of doing things. Roland has been doing this for years. They succeed in the short term, I recognize that, but it isn't innovation, it's simpy deceiving.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Believe me i would love to see some developers like Virsyn, Korg, Moog put more love into desktop tools instead of migrating to a single mobile OS for their software.
But we can't change that. We must live with it and decide what we buy or not.
I agree that the world getting dumb in general when i see news, i'm at work or seeing all that crap in social media :hihi:

fmr wrote:Did they pick these up? No, they decided to repackage what they already have in software as dumbed down versions, to sell them again. A very "japanese" way of doing things. Roland has been doing this for years. They succeed in the short term, I recognize that, but it isn't innovation, it's simpy deceiving.
The Legacy software still exists. If you have it, nothing is being taken away from you.

Mac Gadget is *clearly* a simplified, fun, all-in-one playground that works great for some people. It's not claiming to be the world's most powerful or flexible synthesisers for professional sound designers, and it's nice product for some folks, and less attractive to others.

Nobody is "deceiving" anybody.

Some people seem to think that "innovation" as an end goal is the most important thing, and complain at every product that comes out, no matter how good, that isn't doing something "innovative". At the same time they complain when companies change, or improve old stuff, or sacrifice backward compatibility to move forwards - basically, it seems people will find any excuse they can to complain about any given thing! :lol:

If a product is not for you, it's not for you. Don't take it personally!

I'm just curious to see how they price this - if it's inexpensive, it might be a nice fun little playground away from my regular stuff to noodle around in. If it's going to be £100 or more, then, well, it's not for me... ;)

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I mainly want the ArpOdyssei :)
But taking 30 Gadget's more is also nice.....yes, if the price is not out of this world.
They might still have to figure out how far they can go here from reactions.
Not far. Quantity is not equal to quality. They might as well had all these within the KLC (except mayeb the Odissey). I see nothing there that really stands out, just small specialized "gadgets". Good for doing quick sketches, but seem lmited. I'll have to demo to take conclusions.
Obviously you haven't ever used Gadget, so you might want to just bow out of this.

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote: I still see unique things released on mobile and desktop platform.
My hope was that they would stay "UNIQUE". As fas as they would be confined to the mobiles, they wouldn't hurt :help:

Korg has a fantastic inherited "treasure chest" they could explore. We were talking, in another thread, about the PS series (PS-3100, PS-3300 and PS-3200), a fantastic line of synths, completely different from anything else, that even today would make a blast if they would be ported to software.

They also had the Trident, another great synth. They finally had the best Physical Modeling synth - the Z1.

Did they pick these up? No, they decided to repackage what they already have in software as dumbed down versions, to sell them again. A very "japanese" way of doing things. Roland has been doing this for years. They succeed in the short term, I recognize that, but it isn't innovation, it's simpy deceiving.
You have a bit of a lack of understanding of anything to do with business right ?
Two options
1 Lets jump right in, spend an absolute ton of resources on recreating all of our most expensive gear in software, and get no return for a long time while that is all being developed.
2 Lets jump right in, create a ton of small devices, lets call them gadgets, easy to develop, easy to get out, build up a reputation and quality software developing department, we can build on that with bigger and better and more expensive gadgets and add ons because we now have a userbase.

Which is the most successful in terms of the market and investor relationships ?
This isn't rocket science here, Korg are taking baby steps but at least they are taking them.
Duh

A very "Japanese" way of doing things? Really? Wow

fmr wrote:Did they pick these up? No, they decided to repackage what they already have in software as dumbed down versions, to sell them again. A very "japanese" way of doing things.
What's that supposed to mean, exactly?

Applied Acoustics Systems isn't Japanese and they've been repackaging parts of Tassman for a decade (without coming out with a new Tassman, either).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Applied Acoustics Systems isn't Japanese and they've been repackaging parts of Tassman for a decade (without coming out with a new Tassman, either).
Really? So, you are saying that you can build String Studio and Chromaphone entirely in Tassman? By all means, be my guest. And even of it was true, those are not dumbed down versions, they are excellent instruments in their own right (of course, AAS didn't follow the "business paradigm" that some brilliant CEO minds around here advocate) :shrug:

Actually, this was so brilliant that they even launched what is supposedly small apps with GUIs optimized four touching interface to an environment that doesn't support touch, leaving the other OS, that actually supports touch, out of the picture. But hey... they are the smart guys, so, they cannot be wrong, right?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: Applied Acoustics Systems isn't Japanese and they've been repackaging parts of Tassman for a decade (without coming out with a new Tassman, either).
Really? So, you are saying that you can build String Studio and Chromaphone entirely in Tassman? By all means, be my guest. And even of it was true, those are not dumbed down versions, they are excellent instruments in their own right
I own the AAS modeling collection because they're good tools. Still, they're doing exactly the same thing. By not updating Tassman, they get to sell more individual products.
fmr wrote:(of course, AAS didn't follow the "business paradigm" that some brilliant CEO minds around here advocate) :shrug:
Huh?
fmr wrote:Actually, this was so brilliant that they even launched what is supposedly small apps with GUIs optimized four touching interface to an environment that doesn't support touch, leaving the other OS, that actually supports touch, out of the picture. But hey... they are the smart guys, so, they cannot be wrong, right?
What? I'm totally lost now.

Anyway, I was also asking you why you associated this particular business model to one specific nationality.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

This thread has much more fish than the other. :clap: :neutral:

Please tell me that's a parody of some sort...

But yes... how about that price and how about that release date?

Return to “Instruments”