Reaper Updates

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

So, a Grammy winning artist uses Reaper. Wow. A lot of Grammy winning artists used another DAW. Read that Lord of the Rings was mixed in Ardour. Frankly, that doesn't tell me anything. It's features and content which are important to me. Reaper doesn't offer any content, and it gave me a hard time diving the menus with gazillions of options, and i didn't quite dig the interface too. For people who know what they want, and who like to adjust the interface and software to their likings, i'm sure Reaper is quite great. But that, and an artist winning a Grammy with it won't make it work any better for me. :shrug:

chk071 wrote:So, a Grammy winning artist uses Reaper. Wow. A lot of Grammy winning artists used another DAW. Read that Lord of the Rings was mixed in Ardour. Frankly, that doesn't tell me anything. It's features and content which are important to me. Reaper doesn't offer any content, and it gave me a hard time diving the menus with gazillions of options, and i didn't quite dig the interface too. For people who know what they want, and who like to adjust the interface and software to their likings, i'm sure Reaper is quite great. But that, and an artist winning a Grammy with it won't make it work any better for me. :shrug:
+1

Use whatever you like and works for you :)

chk071 wrote:So, a Grammy winning artist uses Reaper. Wow
I think you're missing the point here. The Grammy winning artist was put forward to contradict an earlier comment about how no one 'serious' uses Reaper, not as an example of how great it is.

chk071 wrote:So, a Grammy winning artist uses Reaper. Wow. A lot of Grammy winning artists used another DAW. Read that Lord of the Rings was mixed in Ardour. Frankly, that doesn't tell me anything. It's features and content which are important to me. Reaper doesn't offer any content, and it gave me a hard time diving the menus with gazillions of options, and i didn't quite dig the interface too. For people who know what they want, and who like to adjust the interface and software to their likings, i'm sure Reaper is quite great. But that, and an artist winning a Grammy with it won't make it work any better for me. :shrug:
So you don't know what you want ? but you still think you can give an opinion one way or the other ?
Work out what you want first, you are making no sense.
Duh

bungle wrote:
So you don't know what you want ? but you still think you can give an opinion one way or the other ?
Work out what you want first, you are making no sense.
Huh? If i didn't know what i want, i'd still be using Reaper. :P If you start off making music though, no content, miles long menus (in english), and loads of options in the settings, and general abilities to adjust the host won't help much. For someone who used a lot of DAW's before, Reaper will probably be great, because you can do stuff which you won't be able to do with other hosts, like setting up Reaper exactly how you'd want it to act. Most other DAW's are set up to give you the intended usage experience. More clear now what i mean?

swatwork wrote:
chk071 wrote:So, a Grammy winning artist uses Reaper. Wow
I think you're missing the point here. The Grammy winning artist was put forward to contradict an earlier comment about how no one 'serious' uses Reaper, not as an example of how great it is.
Ok, that's not correct of course (that you can't get "serious" with Reaper). Yet, i have yet to see or read of the big amount of professionals using Reaper, for whatever that is worth. I would say it is also a matter of appeal. Reaper has sort of the grey mouse image, and the interface, menus, and lack of translation don't help too much either in that regard.

I'm not a fan of the two party system. I like options :) others don't want or need a bunch of options. Depends on what you want. It's all perspective.

Edit

I don't know how many times I've went to go do something in a daw and come to find it's not possible and it's a popular feature request. Then I go to do it in Reaper and it's possible. Depends on what you want and need.
Last edited by memyselfandus on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey i quoted you, you typed it, so are you saying what you type you don't stand by ?
And no you are not being clear, some people know what they want, and it is not anything you typed.
Most DAWs are not set up to give you the intended usage experience, they are what they are and you learn to use them, Reaper on the other hand is more a blank slate, you set it up to work how you want it to work,
However i am not defending Reaper and most Reaper fanboys despise me because it point out its issues all the time, but, you are not actually giving any real critique of Reaper, you are just pointing things out as if they are an issue, when in fact they are only an issue to you, because as you have just stated, you haven't used many DAWs and you are just starting out so want a lot of content and don't like having a lot of options via menus, in fact you need to see or hear a big amount of professionals using it.

So stop stating as fact, what Reapers issues are, when in fact they are your issues.
Duh

bungle wrote:as you have just stated, you haven't used many DAWs and you are just starting out
Where exactly have i pointed that out? You rather seem to be trying hard to prove me wrong, instead of really giving arguments why you think that what i stated was wrong.

Here are the DAW's i used BTW: Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, LMMS, Reason, Podium, Bitwig (8-Track), Abletone Lite. Not exactly what i'd call "not many". I only use 2 of those now though. Contradicting the point that i wouldn't know what i want. I'm not a DAW guru though, who knows about 90% of DAW functions, and knows exactly how he wants his DAW set up, so that it suits him the best. Which is what you can do with Reaper. Note that i wrote "can". But, actually, i wouldn't know why they give you these options, if you don't want them, or need them. Hence Reaper will be a DAW for people who know what they want, and how to set it up for their needs. It's not coincidence that it is also called the "Linux of DAW's". With the unfortunate side effect of being a bit more complicated here and there, due to that.

chk071 wrote:Yet, i have yet to see or read of the big amount of professionals using Reaper, for whatever that is worth.
There's a lot more to audio recording than musicians making albums. One of the areas where I have seen Reaper mentioned at professional levels is in broadcast recording - here's an article about the BBC where Reaper gets a mention (see the Keep On Trucking boxout).

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... dcast-team

I find Reaper incredibly handy - the fast start, the fact that i can put it on any machine I use, the flexible routing, stability and CPU efficiency make it hard to beat for many purposes. I have 2 others but end up using Reaper every single day for many tasks.

All daws have at least a couple things I would love to have in another daw. Weather it be the look, workflow or whatever.

Wait till you guys see what's cooking for Reaper right now!!

egbert wrote:the fast start
Actually, that's quite an argument, as i have experienced. I used to use Cubase most of the time, but, since i use Studio One 3 more, i really appreciate the fast start, opposed to the half a minute or so Cubase 8.5 always used to take to boot up... it's a bit annoying. Reaper is lightning fast in that regard, that's true.

chk071 wrote:
egbert wrote:the fast start
Actually, that's quite an argument, as i have experienced. I used to use Cubase most of the time, but, since i use Studio One 3 more, i really appreciate the fast start, opposed to the half a minute or so Cubase 8.5 always used to take to boot up... it's a bit annoying. Reaper is lightning fast in that regard, that's true.
And the f**ker insists on a rescan every time the clock is altered for daylight saving. During a rescan, some stupid expired beta will pop up a box which stalls the rescan and it is possibly hidden behind Cubase or a dialog box so you can't see it or click it away. And if you've walked out of the room to let it run it will stop the scan until you address the issue or shutdown and restart.

You just want to quickly get access to something you have recorded or get an idea down before you forget it and this effing process you didn't ask for and which has no earthly useful purpose has taken over your machine and it can take ~30 mins with these sorts of dumbass interruptions. Charlie wtf were you thinking???

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”