Wavetable Deathmatch: Blofeld vs Virus TI

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lfm wrote:The Blofeld just wasn't fun to work with. I watched a huge range of youtube stuff to see what can be done, and it is awesome - but not fun to work with. One of the few products I used return policy on.

I have much more fun with KingKorg and there are wavetable stuff in there too. Really vast variety of oscillator sources, including a mike input. And quite a bit of knobs on panel to tweak directly too.
I can understand this, although they seem to have released numerous devices with the same style and a lot of people seem okay with it. Personally, I find the Virus interface a tad annoying for serious programming. The main stuff is right there, but getting deeper is a lot of button pushing and scrolling.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

EvilDragon wrote:You can have custom wavetables in the desktop Blofeld without paying $ for SL License.
So its possible to load something like these?
http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... eforms2010
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

EDGEK8D wrote: I can understand this, although they seem to have released numerous devices with the same style and a lot of people seem okay with it. Personally, I find the Virus interface a tad annoying for serious programming. The main stuff is right there, but getting deeper is a lot of button pushing and scrolling.
that's why access provides software editor for it, unlike waldorf. the good news is that there is a dev around working on actually usable software/vsti layer for blofeld. i keep my fingers crossed he won't give up.

chk071 wrote:The price is a major consideration, isn't it? Cheapest Virus TI module: 1.555 €. Blofeld: 385 €. Ok, Virus has more controls, not so much menu diving, probably the better sounding VA engine (Blofeld/Largo's is good too though), more sophisticated synthesis, and unison options. Blofeld has the classic wavetables from the Waldorf synths though, the "Waldorf sound", PPG filter, and also loads of modulation options. Tough call. :) I guess it really depends on which sound you like better, and whether that is worth to invest more than 3 times what you'd pay for a Blofeld. IMO, the Blofeld is a bargain. If your budget allows it, maybe even buy them both?
Just comparing wavetable synthesis engines is all. I know the Virus is premium everything else. Having owned one, its really nice. Never owned a Blofeld, and I read a lot of this, "Wonky knobs, noisey output, crashes!!" Then again there are a lot of fans of the Blofeld, so it seems many kinks have been worked out and frankly I'm a Waldorf fan. A Q rack just slipped through my fingers the other day. Some guy was asking $1200 so I passed and told him to call me when he came down to the current market price, but he sold it. I think the Virus sounds better than the Q overall<--- total opinion

I'm not so concerned about price, just wanting to get the right piece of gear. I'll probably buy both, keep the Blofeld regardless, and maybe return the TI. I want the TI as a master controller keyboard, but with the release of the Rev2, that might not be necessary anymore. Then again, the Blo-keys is very streamline, like a Nord.....slim and looks easy to cover and put in a closet. The virus is bulky, as are the DSI boards. Still nothing like the behemoth 1980's boards I have :lol:

I know the Blo has nice keys, but not as nice as the virus....same with the new DSI. A fatar is not a fatar. There are different grades. For whatever reason, the Virus has the nuts when it comes to keybed quality, and I quite like it. It just feels expensive, like the Voyager or New Model D keys.....like butter. Also a larger keyboard than the Blo, which is adequate, but not as desirable when playing splits.

bronxsound wrote:
EDGEK8D wrote: I can understand this, although they seem to have released numerous devices with the same style and a lot of people seem okay with it. Personally, I find the Virus interface a tad annoying for serious programming. The main stuff is right there, but getting deeper is a lot of button pushing and scrolling.
that's why access provides software editor for it, unlike waldorf. the good news is that there is a dev around working on actually usable software/vsti layer for blofeld. i keep my fingers crossed he won't give up.
The TI software looks great, no doubt. I just would rather program with one hand on keys and the other on knobs as opposed to turning away from the synth to click and drag.

Ingonator wrote:Besides the Blofeld desktop with SL expansion (got it since several years) since end of 2015 i also got a Novation UltraNova here. Like the Blofeld and Virus TI this has a quite complex synth engine with 3 Oscs, 2 multimode filters, 36 wavetables (besides VA and additional single waveforms), 6 envelopes, 3 LFOs and a lot more. Like the Blofeld keyboard the UltraNova has a Fatar keybed with aftertouch and velocity and could be used as a audio interface and midi controller (with Automap). A nice VST editor is included too. One of my favorite features is te "Density" feature available in all 3 OScs that is comparable to a Hypersaw but works for all waveforms. The price with currently around 444 € (at Thomann) is a real bargain (for 489 € you get it together with a blue Novation gigbag). The only downsides IMO are having only a 3 octaves keyboard and that it is monotimbtral.

Here in Germany currently if you buy both a Blofeld keyboard and a Novation Ultranova you have to pay less than 1100 € for both which is still much cheaper than a Virus TI2 desktop and around half the price of a TI2 keyboard. If you get a Blofeld desktop instead it will be even cheaper.

Yes, I've heard the Ultranova sounds far better than the demos reveal. Still I can't find a decent demo. Maybe you should make one? I know there is a guy who makes a demo of the MicrKorg which sounds INCREDIBLE! Of course the UN is marketed towards a more modern pop/EDM crowd so I get it. I almost snagged an old KS-4 but it had two sliders that were broken and needed soldering. I like the sound of the old Novations. Great VA, a bit cleaner than the Virus......sadly it seems time has forgot them. I posted a thread about Supernova recently and the fans popped up out of the woodwork to praise it.

IMO, it is rarely the instrument, and usually the skill of the programmer and of course the ability to hit the right notes

EDGEK8D wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:You can have custom wavetables in the desktop Blofeld without paying $ for SL License.
Yes, sure, via a free Windows editor.

http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft#blofeld

EvilDragon wrote:
EDGEK8D wrote:

Thanks, but just Windows? :cry:

I take it the Monstrum-feld doesn't offer the ability to load waves? I thought the Monstrum-wave did?

For either the Blofeld or the TI, I highly recommend getting Patch Morpher for iOS. It had breathed new life into my Blofeld!

Also, regarding an earlier comment that the Virus had better filters, I disagree. The PPG filter in the Blofeld is gorgeous. The Virus just has DIFFERENT filters.
Last edited by deastman on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

EDGEK8D wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
EDGEK8D wrote:

Thanks, but just Windows? :cry:

I take it the Monstrum-feld doesn't offer the ability to load waves? I thought the Monstrum-wave did?
Yah, only Windows. I don't see any wavetable editing/importing possibilities on Monstrumfeld GUI... perhaps ask the dev?

deastman wrote:For either the Blofeld or the TI, I highly recommend getting Patch Morpher for iOS. It had breathed new life into my Blofeld!

Also, regarding an earlieyr comment that the Birus had better filters, I disagree. The PPG filter in the Blofeld is gorgeous. The Virus just has DIFFERENT filters.
Thanks! That app looks pretty great. Checking it out now.

Also, regarding an earlieyr comment that the Birus had better filters
The elusive, seldom-sighted Birus, being a hybrid of the Blofeld AND Virus, could be the most sensible choice of all.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

EDGEK8D wrote: Just comparing wavetable synthesis engines is all. I know the Virus is premium everything else. Having owned one, its really nice. Never owned a Blofeld, and I read a lot of this, "Wonky knobs, noisey output, crashes!!"
I had mine for such a short while, just a week, so don't know about knobs turning on you.
But the switch used changed what you operate on in window - way, way too heavy and too small a knob for it. The other knobs just a bit syrup feel to them, like most pots on guitars etc - but not total fail.

Since I've seen demos what Blofeld is capable of, I was into looking for mods either replacing the switch to something that is smooth to operate, or going for a 2"-2.5" wheel to get more momentum.

For each patch, you probably use the switch 100ds of times - so consider that the biggest flaw with design/build.

Maybe there are replacement mods out there, but I did not find them.

If you are into buying commercial libraries for to just use it does not matter so much. But if essential to tweak your own all the way, another story.

Computer editors - I take an example that I tried for NI B4 and an external controller UC-33 which had panel templates to fit right in. But gave up after some time and got hardware digital Hammonds instead - you are just more encouraged to tweak sounds having it right there.

Some info about the USB in the Novation Ultranova:

- Ultranova could be USB bus powered (the power switch has 3 positions for off, external power and USB power)

- Ultranova could be used as an USB audio interface

- When the Ultranova is used as an audio interface besides MIDI data you could record audio directly trough the USB connection. Using the VST plugin editor is not necessary to record audio and MIDI data, usually using the input at an audio or MIDI track should be enough.

- If your host allows this you could also use a different output interface while using the Ultranova for the audio input. With ASIO drivers this could produce problems as usually those allow only using one interface while with ASIO4ALL it could work but does not have to work. The "safe" way recording audio from the USB is using Ultranova as an audio interface for both output and input.

Mininova does not have a built-in audio interface and USB audio as discussed above.

UPDATE
There are a lot of videos at YouTube about both UltraNova and MinNova (Mininova has the same synth engine and patches should be compatible between both):
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ultranova
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mininova

At the official website 7 free soundpacks for Ultranova & Mininova are available:
https://us.novationmusic.com/soundpacks

Patch managment is usually done with the librarian software (included with the product together with a VST editor). The VST editor and librarian seem to be similar for both Ultranova and Mininova (comparable to the different Virus TI models). Mininova also seems to miss the S/PDIF output of the Ultranova (besides a few other input/output connections ).

Ultranova by itself is not limited to any any genre (like most synths...) and works nicely for pure digital, hybrid, oldskool VA and modern VA sounds. It could also produce a really good low end (which could be improved further with e.g. buit-in Drive, EQ, distortion and compressor) and both the "Density" feature in the Oscs (that does not reduce the amount of voices) and the Unison you could get really big sounds, not to forget you could also add built-in effects (up o 5 FX slots at once).

PS:
FWIW while i am a long time fan of the Blofeld i also love the Ultranova while both hardly do replace each other. Anyway both have a very powerful synth engine and the Ultranova seems to be a good (and also quite cheap) option besides Blofeld and Virus TI. While Ultranova only has 36 wavetables (+ VA waveforms and a bunch of additional single waveforms) it is still an option when searching for VA synths that also offer wavetable synthesis.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Well, i ordered a Blo-keys tonight from Thoman, because they are only $550 new there and $999 here in the States. Can't even find a used one here for less than $650. In fact even DSI stuff there is surprisingky cheaper. FFS a new TI2 61 key is only $2K there. I'm not ordering new synths in the US anymore. Shipping is only $30.

Will give me a week to read the manual. I'm familiar with the Virus, so if I change my mind I can turn it around here at no loss, even if I keep it a while.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”