Why do people still code their synths with SynthEdit or Flowstone...

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My early versions of PG-8X were made with SynthEdit, but most of the DSP was already done in a custom module which was written in C++/assembler. When I then went over to the WDL-OL version, I could keep most of the DSP code as it was, and simply replaced the SE framework by C++ code for the GUI. In my case, even the SynthEdit version already had a hand-coded Voice allocator, which however just distributed the notes over different MIDI channels and then each voice had it's own SE Midi2CV.

That's the most passive-aggressive marketing I have read in a long time. It's almost like your annoying brother-in-law trying to sell you some stocks in which he absolutely has no vested interest, not in the least. (Referring to the original post.)

Are you nuts?

gridsleep wrote:That's the most passive-aggressive marketing I have read in a long time.
read more posts at kvr, this is what we do, it's who we are. this is where kvr posts come from. great handle :) most people don't talk about what we do or who we are. because, they're the people who "gridsleep. it's not just a name." watch out for the black magic.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

gridsleep wrote:That's the most passive-aggressive marketing I have read in a long time. It's almost like your annoying brother-in-law trying to sell you some stocks in which he absolutely has no vested interest, not in the least. (Referring to the original post.)
??????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
gridsleep wrote:That's the most passive-aggressive marketing I have read in a long time. It's almost like your annoying brother-in-law trying to sell you some stocks in which he absolutely has no vested interest, not in the least. (Referring to the original post.)
??????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Exactly what was on my mind when i read the post. :P

I love Synth Edit. It's probably my best spent money in the software domain. One GIANT Modular. Many many many free modules still floating around on the net to download, try and combine (win32-bit version obviously) and all the freedom to make my own GUI on my creations with jKnobman, with again many many many free knobs floating around the net. And then being able to export your own creations into vst instruments or vst effects is very satisfying. "NielzieSynth" and "NielzieDelay" are getting much use here, and only here :hihi:

Very recommendable for studying/learning all kinds of synthesis too.

Ohhh and I don't code at all :oops:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Can someone explain if dsp-concepts Audio Weaver and JUCE software relate/integrate with this and how?

phobik wrote:Can someone explain if dsp-concepts Audio Weaver and JUCE software relate/integrate with this and how?
which 'this', precisely?

JUCE is a framework, somewhat like WDL-OL for the subset of it that covers plugins, but much larger in scope, ie a full application framework.

As for Audio Weaver, I dont quite understand why you'd ask; its targetted at embedded systems, so to even be aware of it surely you'd have to have heard of it in that context, which is a completely different context from that of anything discussed here (ie 'audio plugins for DAWs running on mainstream consumer operating systems).

But, for completion, it seems to be a prewritten audio-processing engine aimed at embedded systems, and a RAD application allowing you to configure that engine's behaviour for particular tasks. In that respect, its 'like' Synthedit style RAD tools, but even a cursory look at the manufacturer's webpage would have told you that. :shrug:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
phobik wrote:Can someone explain if dsp-concepts Audio Weaver and JUCE software relate/integrate with this and how?
which 'this', precisely?

JUCE is a framework, somewhat like WDL-OL for the subset of it that covers plugins, but much larger in scope, ie a full application framework.

As for Audio Weaver, I dont quite understand why you'd ask; its targetted at embedded systems, so to even be aware of it surely you'd have to have heard of it in that context, which is a completely different context from that of anything discussed here (ie 'audio plugins for DAWs running on mainstream consumer operating systems).

But, for completion, it seems to be a prewritten audio-processing engine aimed at embedded systems, and a RAD application allowing you to configure that engine's behaviour for particular tasks. In that respect, its 'like' Synthedit style RAD tools, but even a cursory look at the manufacturer's webpage would have told you that. :shrug:
I'm trying to understand if these RAD tools allow to develop DSP code, in a platform agnostic way, i.e. generate the libraries with one and maybe import them into another/c++ project. Is my thinking too convoluted?

Because SE is a modular environment like the real synthesizers, it is cheap, it uses low CPU, it is updated even if the main SE x64 stills beta, it uses the synthesis grammar, its connections work in volts. The first reason it's we can develop own SEM in C++, its can manage in intern several thousand of connections and each modules can go to sleep when we want to decrease the cpu, etc...

You can see my last x64 products here :
http://kx77free.free.fr

Check the CPU use and the quality sounding... I tested the WDL-OL, it's great but I prefer to stay on SE because my projects are very big and I prefer work on the audio DSP code to improve the quality sounding. SE has a community of musicians, not really professional devs. I do not want to be a professional dev even if I code my SEM, SE is a good compromise.

whyterabbyt wrote: The original version of Sylenth was done this way, I believe.
Yes I think it was too. Also OP-X Pro II was (I think it still is.. (?)) and later on they got a 64-bit version working which I use today.

kirsty roland wrote:
cron wrote:I'm sure I've seen at least one dev here say that they code everything from scratch and then wrap it in Synthedit because it makes creating the GUI easy. This may have been ages ago though. Guessing some Synthedit devs will pop up in this thread to confirm/refute.

I've think I've also seen Synthedit devs claim some optimisation in assembler was done in their products, which is about as low-level, as in "close to the hardware", and difficult (is saying difficult a fair assessment?) as programming gets.
I did that with Patchwork. All the DSP is custom coded into a single module.
Eventually I even ditched Synthedit's graphics and made a single GUI module.
The only thing left for SE to do was handle MIDI and polyphony.
I do it somewhat the same. All audio generation/processing is custom c++ modules - all of the boring stuff(to me) -> MIDI, GUI and all the other stuff SE handles, which I'm very grateful for. My time is unfortunately limited, I'm a hobbyist (been using SE over a decade - c++ coding for 3 of them), I'd rather spend most of my time on algorithm development.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”