Ableton users: if no news about Ableton L 10 in NAMM show, when is it coming?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think i'll better buy bitwig, but only when they'll make better transient detection, add more timestretch algorithms and make slicing/warping inside their sampler.

.jon wrote:My wishes:

- mousewheel scroll & zoom in arrangement
That is, aside the terrible arranger view, the only reason why I haven't gone for Live yet. It slows down my workflow too much

Since you guys aren't sure about release times, I think I'm gonna go for Bitwig. I hope they release a few essential for me features and it would become my DAW of choice.
I might end up regretting it tho..

Cheers everyone!

Andrey Marchenko wrote:
Daags wrote:i want, and have been requesting, native modulation (i.e LFOs etc) for ages. since M4L came out.

the M4L offerings are pigs, imo. I mean, better than nothing for sure, but pigs in every other sense of the word.

i'd probably update just for that. (currently on 8, waiting for a 10 announcement so I can jump on 9 during the grace period)

ymmv.
I guess we will never see native modulation sources in Live because with this things most of people don't M4L that. I mean that modulation source in M4L it's a huge sale points.
M4L lfos are only popular by virtue of two things: [1] many people desperately want (native) lfo's etc [2] M4L is the only option. (3rd party midi options notwithstanding)

this does not mean that M4L is doing it well .... lfos coming from M4L are absolute pigs. if M4L lfos would at least run efficiently in terms of resources, then perhaps I could see Ableton artificially leaving native lfos out of Live to further M4L sales. but this isn't the case ... and, if Ableton could do it in a stable/satisfactory way, I can't see them intentionally leaving native modulation like lfos out of Live as a matter of policy.

M4L has a lot more going for it than simple lfo duty.

ymmv.

Live 9.5 working fine here, so I'm in no rush for Live 10. Then again, it's not my primary DAW, so...
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

The load times for the M4L devices hold me back more than anything - add one to a project and you're at a yellow light.

In terms of time spend, load times are almost meaningless, but there's something de-motivating when you''re excited to get working and have to wait...

If they could optimize M4L I could live without native modulation.

Overall though, I've been generally happy with Live for years and will probably update to 10 no matter the features. I don't even save instrument presets anymore - everything is racked, with a few choice parameters mapped to macros for automation inspiration, and to remind me of what tweeks sound especially interesting.

Live 9 works fine for me. I'm in no rush for Live 10, and given the debacle that was the initial Live 8 release, I doubt Ableton will be in any rush to release 10 until its been thoroughly tested. I don't care that M4L stuff takes a few moments to load, considering what it adds to Live.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Live 9 works fine for me. I'm in no rush for Live 10, and given the debacle that was the initial Live 8 release, I doubt Ableton will be in any rush to release 10 until its been thoroughly tested. I don't care that M4L stuff takes a few moments to load, considering what it adds to Live.

for the record, and lest you conflate things, load time is someone else's issue. I'm primarily talking about the excessive cpu resources each M4L lfo guzzles once it's loaded, turned on, and in operation.

I'd happilly endure a 2 minute (slight hyperbole) load time for an lfo that uses the amount of CPU it should.

Daags wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Live 9 works fine for me. I'm in no rush for Live 10, and given the debacle that was the initial Live 8 release, I doubt Ableton will be in any rush to release 10 until its been thoroughly tested. I don't care that M4L stuff takes a few moments to load, considering what it adds to Live.

for the record, and lest you conflate things, load time is someone else's issue. I'm primarily talking about the excessive cpu resources each M4L lfo guzzles once it's loaded, turned on, and in operation.

I'd happilly endure a 2 minute (slight hyperbole) load time for an lfo that uses the amount of CPU it should.
I hear ya. CPU usage isn't such a big deal for me since I bought a fast new computer, and I always bounce to audio very early in the creative process (kind of old school), but if you want to run a lot of plugins at once, then M4L can be a CPU hog for sure ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Daags wrote:

I hear ya. CPU usage isn't such a big deal for me since I bought a fast new computer, and I always bounce to audio very early in the creative process (kind of old school), but if you want to run a lot of plugins at once, then M4L can be a CPU hog for sure ...
lucky you ; ) ... each year I swear to myself that I'm going to build a new machine, but for one reason or another it doesn't happen. anyway, i take the old school bounce approach too ... though it's often because of the cpu ceiling rather than a force of habit :tu:

JoeCat wrote:The load times for the M4L devices hold me back more than anything - add one to a project and you're at a yellow light.

In terms of time spend, load times are almost meaningless, but there's something de-motivating when you''re excited to get working and have to wait...

Overall though, I've been generally happy with Live for years and will probably update to 10 no matter the features. I don't even save instrument presets anymore - everything is racked, with a few choice parameters mapped to macros for automation inspiration, and to remind me of what tweeks sound especially interesting.
+1

Thats honestly the only reason I dont instantly reach for m4l stuff. Even though the load isnt that long just knowing that I have to sit there and wait, plus the extra loading screen, it just puts you in the mental mindset that this is some third party stuff and shouldnt be there. If they had m4l devices load faster and appear more native I would probably use them more too

Plus that they are segregated in the browser, if they were integrated in the same locations of everything else so I couldnt tell them apart, and make them easier to find so I dont have to think 'oh yea, I may have this m4l thing over here in this other area' but right in front of my face that would probably go a long ways too

ezelkow1 wrote:
JoeCat wrote:The load times for the M4L devices hold me back more than anything - add one to a project and you're at a yellow light.

+1

Thats honestly the only reason I dont instantly reach for m4l stuff. Even though the load isnt that long just knowing that I have to sit there and wait, plus the extra loading screen, it just puts you in the mental mindset that this is some third party stuff and shouldnt be there. If they had m4l devices load faster and appear more native I would probably use them more too

Plus that they are segregated in the browser, if they were integrated in the same locations of everything else so I couldnt tell them apart, and make them easier to find so I dont have to think 'oh yea, I may have this m4l thing over here in this other area' but right in front of my face that would probably go a long ways too

Defo my thought too,if they would optimize M4L to feel it more intergrated,i would defo also use M4L more.
Right now though one of the main things that irritate me in ableton live is the lack of scroll wheel zooming,lack of vst3 support,i know theres ALOT i wanna see added in version 10 thats been asked for by users the later years on the ableton centercode

Hoping to see a user defined grid length option in the piano roll. And a native way to pre select audio clip length Before recording. Like you can with midi clips.

I guess Abelton now also have top keep an eye on Bitwig as they have a competitor now. Bigwig provided many of the most frequently requested features in Live so I had though that would 'accelerate' Live development (in clip editing etc) but it seems Ableton wont be rushed and certainly have been concentrating more on 'PUSH' than DAW type features. As a Live (and Bitwig) usr, I would be quite happy if the development of Live stayed as the best method for working 'live' and as an instrument and doesn't try to become a full blown DAW.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: I would be quite happy if the development of Live stayed as the best method for working 'live' and as an instrument and doesn't try to become a full blown DAW.
That boat sailed years ago.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”