MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

I guess there's a good reason no one has bothered to try patenting this oscillator type before.

Interesting that this is a spinoff of Traktion, though appearently Biotec wasn't. Looks like it's going to be included in the next Traktion iteration, interestingly called Waveform.

Always room for noisey, distorted, aggressive sounds - all to taste, but done properly they are typically not physically unpleasant to hear. A Dubstep FM bass done right for example, does not literally have the same affect as nails on a chalkboard (though figuratively it will for a lot of people!)

To my ears, this synth in its current state sounds abrasive, and that's almost universally unpleasing in any musical context (might work well n a film score). Let's hope they just have more work to do.

Daags wrote:I guess there's a good reason no one has bothered to try patenting this oscillator type before.
:lol:

EnGee wrote:
Daags wrote:I guess there's a good reason no one has bothered to try patenting this oscillator type before.
:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

JoeCat wrote:Interesting that this is a spinoff of Traktion, though appearently Biotec wasn't. Looks like it's going to be included in the next Traktion iteration, interestingly called Waveform.
It'll be available initially for a reduced $75, but it'll be $150 when they've got the oscillators editor written, an expected month later. Independent of the new Tracktion, or WaveForm as it'll be called.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

JoeCat wrote: A Dubstep FM bass done right for example, does not literally have the same affect as nails on a chalkboard (though figuratively it will for a lot of people!)
I can remember when bass + space = dubstep, and the bass was mostly sub rather than midrange. Mind you that was about a decade ago before the dnb and electro house producers changed things. Went from minimalist to maximalist, from atmospheric to anthemic, in the space of a couple of years. Think that was when I lost interest, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc85cGTlKLY

Mind you a few years earlier than that and it was garage...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GdFXT-2XnI

jabe wrote:It'll be available initially for a reduced $75, but it'll be $150 when they've got the oscillators editor written, an expected month later. Independent of the new Tracktion, or WaveForm as it'll be called.
Maybe when they get the oscillator editor finished we'll hear something promising.
shonky wrote:I can remember when bass + space = dubstep, and the bass was mostly sub rather than midrange. Mind you that was about a decade ago before the dnb and electro house producers changed things. Went from minimalist to maximalist, from atmospheric to anthemic, in the space of a couple of years. Think that was when I lost interest, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
That's definitely to my liking - deep or dark. Same with house - I'm 54 so not exactly in EDM's target market but definitely appreciate minimal, deep, and liquid genres (way OT - but the digital oscillators in Diva, combined the a ladder filter and analogue envelopes, make for some great deep house stabs - the strength of that instrument IMHO is the unique combinations of parts) . Liquid drum and bass is what got me back to electronic music, though I'm more into doing ambient now.

Back to the topic at hand... probably should not have demoed this until closer to a finished product, but that's what happens when NAMM creeps up on developers right after the holidays and ware's ain't ready.

JoeCat wrote:
jabe wrote:It'll be available initially for a reduced $75, but it'll be $150 when they've got the oscillators editor written, an expected month later. Independent of the new Tracktion, or WaveForm as it'll be called.
Maybe when they get the oscillator editor finished we'll hear something promising.
There are three oscillators and each has 700 parameters, so an editor for that lot's going to take a bit of making sense of - for designers and for users!
Last edited by jabe on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Which is why their roll out plan seems a bit....what's the word I'm looking for here.....optimistic ? $75 now and in a month you get the "full" version with editor but it didn't sound like he was too confident on the ability to create an editor for 700 parameters.

Seems like the early adapters are kind of in a "Go Fund Me" type of position. At any rate if anyone is thinking about buying it they shouldn't be too shocked if that one month roll out target for the editor is missed.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

When can we demo it, and will it be available as a vsti outside Tracktion?

What are its functions? Features?
You do realize that all we hear is just an unfiltered osc with some fairly uncomplicated, almost random waveforms, right? "Harsh" and "unmusical" are pretty strong words for something that is just unmodulated and sharp. At least coming from synth geeks.

I see nothing you can't create with Serum or even FM8... in fact, it seems you'll to be able to create much more with a free Kairatune than was shown in the video.

It surely doesn't match with this:
Waverazor is described as ‘a futuristic synth that slices waveforms into aggressive new sounds.’ It’s based on a patent-pending oscillator design that they say uses a new form of synthesis to produce ‘biting leads, glitched-out basses, cinematic pads and everything in between.’
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

Another video. Hopefully wavesequences can be tempo synced to host.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKq ... ntinue=651

Well that video does have a bit more musical examples towards the end. I don't think this synth is for me although it's too early to tell for sure but I do wish the developers a great deal of success. Even if I'm not interested in this product I may find their next product desirable.

What's becoming apparent is that it's getting harder and harder to come up with something truly new and innovative. I applaud anyone for trying to push the envelope forward rather than simply trying to emulate synthesis from the past.... :clap:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

WTF! worst wavetable synth ever!

Return to “Instruments”