One Synth Challenge #95: HY-Mono by HY-Plugins / hyakken (Carl_saved wins!!!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HY-Mono

There's quite a few tutorials on the OSC page, and I wonder if it would be nice to have something like "basic music theory for OSC" out there, since I guess not everyone participating in OSC had a musical education. I know there's quite a bit stuff in the internet, but maybe something rather compact and short would be nice, specially made for electronic composers?
Worked on a draft for that last night.

Here's just some doodle fun of mine from today with HY-Mono... I noticed that many movies and TV shows, which may have some kind of silence in the beginning, often have an abstract drone. I felt like playing with that idea. Then I tried using Voxengo's Boogex over the whole drum kit, which is kinda nice, too. Anyway, just a doodle:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/hymono-doodle

As I announced earlier, here's some of my basic advice regarding music theory.
Didn't want to post it right into the thread because it would have been half a mile down the page. So just take a look into the PDF, 5 pages, including
  • definitions
  • tips about choosing notes/chords
  • roles of instruments
I hope it helps. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjie7ya6tq2hv ... y.pdf?dl=0

file currently hosted in my dropbox account... nothing for eternity though.

It's a beautiful topic, worthy of its very own thread! I'm sure there's a proper place here on KVR to start one, isn't there? Oh...like this one, maybe:
viewforum.php?f=99

I just took a quick look and stumbled across it within something like 3 seconds, hehehe! :lol:
Good thing to bring up for sure and I just love to talk about it, too. So much to explore. :)

Carl_saved wrote:As I announced earlier, here's some of my basic advice regarding music theory.
Thank you.

I was looking forward to read it. And now I look forward to hopefully seeing more. :tu:

And being that it was focused on OSC participants I don't see what it hurts having it in OSC threads.

I mean we have a sub-forum for non-OSC tracks viewforum.php?f=14 yet sometimes people post non-OSC tracks in OSC threads too. :shrug:
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

I think, it would be kinda nice, if the Music Tracker on KVR could pick up OSC thread submissions, too! :shrug: ... I just realized that one has to go to the Music Cafe and post SC links there to let the Tracker pick them up. Then your profile will link to those songs, too. 8)

Hi all - here's a useful interactive instrument chart. Pay attention to the harmonic/overtone box. This is a useful gizmo for EQ-ing - remember EQ the hell out of the freq of the harmonics of an instrument and you destroy it's unique sound (even your carefully crafted OSC-instrument!!).

The equal loudness chart is also great - useful to understand how your ears work!

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn ... isplay.htm

Use, enjoy, and HTH

dB

Just read this. Nicely written. While much of is old hat (scales etc.), reviewing theory never hurts, and your practical advice at the end is really helpful. Those are the sort of guidelines that, if broken, seem to lead to harsh criticism and low scores in OSC. It seems so simple when you write it that way: use in-key chords, make the melody fit the chords except for the odd transition note, and make the bassline fit the root of the chords unless you really know what you're doing (which I personally don't). Simple, yet I didn't quite have it clear in my head, so much obliged! :D
Carl_saved wrote:As I announced earlier, here's some of my basic advice regarding music theory.
Didn't want to post it right into the thread because it would have been half a mile down the page. So just take a look into the PDF, 5 pages, including
  • definitions
  • tips about choosing notes/chords
  • roles of instruments
I hope it helps. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjie7ya6tq2hv ... y.pdf?dl=0

file currently hosted in my dropbox account... nothing for eternity though.

doctorbob wrote:Hi all - here's a useful interactive instrument chart.
Thanks for the link.
I had forgotten about it, but when I went to bookmark it I already had it bookmarked. :dog:
Guess I should probably add the link to the computer I have the DAW on for easier reference and so I don't forget yet again to look at it every once and awhile. :lol:

Since I'm here posting I found an issue that I do not know if it is Reaper(5.32) related or HY-Mono and am wondering if anyone else has noticed it or has had issues with it.

Anyway, when the OSC1 course detune is set to 0 in HY-Mono the automation lane shows a value of .50 which makes sense to me since it is the center of the detune knob range.
I wanted a dropping of pitch effect so I automated ramping the parameter from .50 to maybe .25 (whatever the value was that moved the detune to -12, I forget the exact value) and then ramped it back up to .50 thinking all would be fine.

But setting the value back to .50 did not return the value of the detune knob back to 0, it stopped at -1. So that instrument was then slightly flat, but I did not notice it for several renders due to noticing more pronounced issues instead.

The only way I could get it to automate from 0 detune to -12 and back to zero was to actually overshoot the return to .51 and then drop it back to .50 in the automation lane.
Then the HY-Mono would actually return to 0 detune.

It also affected the pitch prior to where in the track I was doing this.
The course automation still showed .50 like it should have with no adjustment, but the knob in HY-Mono would show -1 detune.
I had to take the entire lane of automation prior from where I did the detune effect, raise the whole line to .51 and drop it back to .50(basically wiggle the automation line) before HY-Mono would read and display the correct detune value of 0 in the GUI. It was not just a display bug because the sound actually would change.

So set @ .50 the detune showed -1, wiggle the line to .51 and back to .50 the detune shows 0. Very odd behavior.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Carl_saved wrote:There's quite a few tutorials on the OSC page, and I wonder if it would be nice to have something like "basic music theory for OSC" out there, since I guess not everyone participating in OSC had a musical education. I know there's quite a bit stuff in the internet, but maybe something rather compact and short would be nice, specially made for electronic composers?
Worked on a draft for that last night.
Kim Lajoie's Blog Dump should be stricky in any electronic music orientated forum in my eyes...

loris16148 wrote:Hello all, I have to make a submission, I predict that I may not be able to finish it.

https://soundcloud.com/loris-solic/osc- ... e-mist-wip

44 instances of HY Mono in Reaper.

Plugins used

MEqualizer
MCompressor
MComb
MWaveshaper
ReaSurround
ReaComp
LimiterNo6
SIR
GlaceVerb
AtlantisFilter
FilterCrusher
MidiPolyphony
StereoEnhancer
ReaVerbate
TalReverb4
SCDelay

It would help if you have a system that can handle lows around 40hz
Best one I have listened to by now...Great showcase for a single synth made sound fresh with the use of a set of well selected and cleverly used FX . Bet without MWaveShaper the drums wouldn't have been possible...
Well done!!!

Thanks for the feedback, Taron! I tried to balance the mix out a bit and also made some minor tweaks. This will probably be my final entry.
(Also, cool music theory guide.)

https://soundcloud.com/user-923027425/b ... osc-edit-1

My entry:

https://soundcloud.com/jazzaria/synthvention-2

Reaper
4 instances of HY-Mono
MStereoExpander
MEqualizer
MCompressor
MLimiter
MLoudnessAnalyzer

Cruba wrote:Kim Lajoie's Blog Dump should be stricky in any electronic music orientated forum in my eyes...
Yup, some really nice stuff out there. He covers many topics around music production. A lot to learn for me, as well. 8) Some theory stuff there as well: http://blog.kimlajoie.com/tonality-in-composition/

Had many issues with this synth. Track reached the point where I know it needs more, but I lack the abilities to provide it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-975888547/f ... rit-osc-95

Windows 10 x64, Reaper 5.32 x64

65 tracks
Monitoring FX: JS:Goniometer, SPAN (Voxengo) & Youlean Loudness Meter (Youlean)

30 @ ReaEQ (Cockos)
23 @ HY-Mono (HY-Plugins)
10 @ WG Doffset (Wire Grind)
7 @ ReaDelay (Cockos) & TAL Filter 2 (Togu Audio Line)
6 @ Density (AirWindows)
5 @ Fracture (AirWindows) & GFM Psypan (GFM) & ReaComp (Cockos) & W1 Limiter (George Yohng)
4 @ A1TriggerGate (A1Audio)
3 @ OTT (Xfer Records) & ReaGate (Cockos) & Sanford Bass Tightener (Sanford Sound Design) & T-Force Trance Gate (Mastrcode Music) & TDR Kotelnikov (Toyko Dawn Labs)
2 @ A1StereoControl (A1Audio) & BlueARP (Graywolf2004) & Desk (AirWindows) & LoudMax (Thomas Mundt) & OldSkoolVerb (Voxengo) & TDR VOS SlickEQ (Toyoko Dawn Labs) & Voice of Snow (Sun Dev Studio)
1 @ Ambience (Smart Eletronix) & ClipOnly (AirWindows) & Dimension Expander (Xfer Records) & Ferric TDS (Variety of Sound) & NaturalizeDither (AirWindows) & Nova67P (Vladg/sound) & Roth-AIR (Rothmann) & Sanford Reverb (Sanford Sound Design) & TAL Reverb III (Togu Audio Line)

Return to “Instruments”