what to do with authorizations etc.? new pc? ilok etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i wanna finally build a new pc within 2 months and also go from win7 home to win7 pro, sadly i missed the point in the past cause i thought 8gb are enough :/, win10 i dont wanna use atm cause i still have a lot of old vsts and dunno if they work....
but what do i have to check before? installing all my software to new hardware and os?
i dont wanna lose any authorizations?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Time to do the homework. :) And check which plugins use which copy protection, check emails for serials and activation codes, write down logins for companies doing it via their website, transfer eLicenser keys to the dongle etc. Really, no universal answer to that. It depends on the plugin.

Hi there, I am constantly going back and forth on the do I go 64 bit DAW on my 64 bit Windows 7 install. At the moment I struggle on with 32 bit Cubase 8. All rather flaky once I start using a lot of synths.

I think it is a bit of a personal decision, you need to research what you may lose synth wise, whether that will bother you, if memory problems are causing you workflow/creative problems etc.

The licensing is a nightmare...control centres for one developer, dongle for another, serial for another, iLOK for another, serial and server link up for another. You better have good tea and coffee making facilities cause it going to take a while.

I hope you find DAW heaven with your new system.

(I just hope it is all worth it, upgrades/updates solve some troubles and usually create some new headaches)

I did a complete reinstall of my DAW, and all plugins, when i went 64-bit only. And i installed all plugins and DAW's on my laptop too, short after that. It's not too bad really. The installing is the more annoying part.

I would make sure to deactivate the ones that use iLOK in the iLOK License manager. Then you just install the License Manager on the new computer, and activate it on that one. You probably know this already but AIR, UVI, Sonivox, Izotope, XILS-lab, and Eventide all use iLOK. For some of those, they may have the option to save to a USB dongle.

With Arturia (if you have any of their plugins), they have their own Arturia Software Center, and you can deactivate them from there, then reactivate on the new computer.

I had to do that just a little over a year ago when I bought a new PC, and it all worked out ok.

Maybe it's time to buy an iLOK dongle, and transfer the licenses to it. This way, you will not have to worry with those anymore (as long as you don't lose the iLOK).
Fernando (FMR)

Can't the OP just clone the HDD in the old computer to a new SSD and screw that into the new computer

Numanoid wrote:Can't the OP just clone the HDD in the old computer to a new SSD and screw that into the new computer
Most licenses, like iLOK and Arturia, eLicenser, etc., will not translate. It will need to do what Examigan told (deactivate in one and activate later in the other)
Fernando (FMR)

sry for the bad and overall descriptions :D

yes i use already 32bit and 64bit versions. working ok atm but i struggle still with slow and hiccups in projects in FL studio and my RAM (4gb) is just not enough plus my 6 year old cpu.

i got nearly everything in a different folder with all my plugins and for every plugin its serial + installers.

but i guess ilok, arturia are some + waves which i need to transfer back to the cloud/deactivate so far. (what happens when your system crashes? lost?)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I will have to do that as well, also within 2 months' time or so, when the new AMD processor become available.
Luckily I don't have many plugins. If I had a folder with hundreds of plugins, like some people do, it would be a nightmare I suppose. (In that case what might be even worse is backing up and transferring presets and user settings, which plugins seem to save in various folders on the hard drive.)
It seems to me that more and more companies go the activation path now.

Will old projects still work if one chooses different directories for installation on the new computer?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Cry.

But tell us your experiences, as I'll be doing exactly the same in two months or so.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Don't touch anything that needs a dong stuck in it. For real, I don't care how hyped it is. You don't need it. Even the freeware is good now. WTH are you playing with dongs for? This is NOT a personal attack, we all get suckered into the hype sometimes.

To be fair (and hopefully not turn this thread into a DRM war), this is exactly where dongle-based licensing shines.

Moving to a new pc/hardrive/etc. is just a matter of plugging the dongle in--no new activations needed.

Return to “Instruments”