Do you think Remaking tracks is a good way to develop skills?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently read an article about why remaking tracks could help you in production. But I was shocked when people were telling it is waste of time, instead we could work on remixed or originals. I'm confused whether i should start doing remakes or focus more on making originals. Please help me out ASAP :help: !

Also I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
:)

IMO it's a good way to learn. Gives you some knowledge/tools for your brain to work those remixes and originals.

Ofc your focus shouldn't be only on remakes :P

Maybe make a remake or two and then move what you've learned to your own stuff?

Yes, it needs knowledge to make remakes so nothing bad about it. As learning method recreating has a long history anyway.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Myself I believe more in recreating a specific genre rather than a specific song, but that you use a song you like as inspiration, trying to copy its elements instead.

For example, I learn more from a tutorial by trying to change a little here and there instead of following the tutorial 100 %.

And sorry where are my manners. Welcome to this forum :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Hello Explocat!

I can tell you that it depends on what are you trying to achieve. Do you make your music to polish your skills or do you have your head full of new ideas? Do you want to share all of them them?

As for me, I would concentrate on putting several ideas int one project, but keep in mind that "better" is sometimes opposite for the "good".

Of coures, if you are thinking about improving the producing and mixing skills, that is totally different thing. Sadly, there is always something better than your current mix. Little exception made for Pink Floyd :)
With great sound comes great power.

It's a good idea, but don't get all anal with it.
And when you have learned how to use your gear, learn how to abuse it. Tastefully, of course!

When i played guitar, i almost entirely did "covers" of tracks i liked. It's not only a good way, but, IMO, the only true way to develop skills, see how a track or song is built up, and develop own ideas.

yes.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I analyze other songs for their arrangement but I never bothered to recreate synthesis.

Distorted Horizon wrote:IMO it's a good way to learn. Gives you some knowledge/tools for your brain to work those remixes and originals.

Ofc your focus shouldn't be only on remakes :P

Maybe make a remake or two and then move what you've learned to your own stuff?
I agree, really any work done in the studio is a good way to enhance your experience and skills..

Yes, of course, you can learn a lot from such an exercise.

Nielzie wrote:yes.
+1
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Yeah it's a good way to learn engineering and even musically, if you do both.

yap!1
it's gud for analyzing musicians music and gaining some nowledge. thats how i got to b the best moosician on Venus

I mean, that how i got too bee soo good (idk)

Explokat wrote:I recently read an article about why remaking tracks could help you in production. But I was shocked when people were telling it is waste of time, instead we could work on remixed or originals. I'm confused whether i should start doing remakes or focus more on making originals. Please help me out ASAP :help: !

Also I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
:)

When it comes to learning, nothing is a waste of time.
Some can find all sort of reasons why they should not go in the studio and work (I know because I am trying to get a good friend to complete his CD).

Remaking tracks is an excellent way to develop skills, and interesting.
Any time spent in the studio is good time.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”