MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

So they're going to release it without the editor, sell it for $75 and then once the editor is released a month later, give the early adopters a free update and charge everyone else $150?

I'm used to new releases having a few bugs but that's half-finished surely? That'd show some faith buying a VST and not knowing how it will ultimately sound.

Taurus wrote:WTF! worst wavetable synth ever!
You do know there are several million YouTube videos you should be adding adverse comments to, don't you?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

shonky wrote:So they're going to release it without the editor, sell it for $75 and then once the editor is released a month later, give the early adopters a free update and charge everyone else $150?
Yes.
shonky wrote:I'm used to new releases having a few bugs but that's half-finished surely? That'd show some faith buying a VST and not knowing how it will ultimately sound.
The initial version's not due out for more than 5 weeks. The version with editor is due for release during April.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Kinda reminds me of Madrona Labs Aalto .. not for everybody ...

fedexnman wrote:Kinda reminds me of Madrona Labs Aalto .. not for everybody ...

that's a hugely unfair comparison, imo. you'd have to go out of your way to generate anything nearly as abrasive from Aalto. There's a big, big variety of sweet spots and each one can be pretty broad.

From what I've seen/heard so far of this Waverazor, I think you'd be looking for a while to find the sweet spot - and it wouldn't surprise me if it was singular, and narrow.

Though it's true Aalto might not be for everyone, but I suggest in large part by virtue of things other than its sound ... like its CPU overheard, its Voice count limitations, its GUI, and even the semi/modular nature of its architecture.

in terms of pure sonic appeal, I simply can't imagine Aalto and Waverazor are comparable.

Daags wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Kinda reminds me of Madrona Labs Aalto .. not for everybody ...

that's a hugely unfair comparison, imo. you'd have to go out of your way to generate anything nearly as abrasive from Aalto. There's a big, big variety of sweet spots and each one can be pretty broad.

From what I've seen/heard so far of this Waverazor, I think you'd be looking for a while to find the sweet spot - and it wouldn't surprise me if it was singular, and narrow.

Though it's true Aalto might not be for everyone, but I suggest in large part by virtue of things other than its sound ... like its CPU overheard, its Voice count limitations, its GUI, and even the semi/modular nature of its architecture.

in terms of pure sonic appeal, I simply can't imagine Aalto and Waverazor are comparable.
I agree. I think Aalto sounds great but I can't even begin to wrap my head around that architecture. And I've worked with plenty of modular synths but this one just turns my head to spaghetti.

I like Aalto . I'm just saying it's not everyones cup of tea .

I love the madrona labs stuff. Some of my favorite plugins ever, and I have them all. Kaivo does choke my cheap little i3 laptop nearly to death on a few presets though. So I leave it to my main rig.

Waverazor looks pretty dang cool to me as well, but I don't see it being overly versatile. Still that's not really an issue for me, so I can't wait to try it out.

More of a demo of some of the things the raw oscillator does and the kinds of modulation it can get into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TztXMs3zd0

...actually I'd kind of love to have shapes like that in a modular LFO.

foosnark wrote:More of a demo of some of the things the raw oscillator does and the kinds of modulation it can get into.
Now that seems a better demo and shows a bit more of the range of the instrument, and regardless of whether you're into FM verging on noise, or filtering some of that out and getting some nice movement in smoother sounds, I can actually see some potential in this now.

Great concept, cool sounds if you want to get really wild.

However, the GUI is a pain to watch :help:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I kinda like it. To me, the sounds are in the territory of my beloved Weevils and other APC type beasties. Very 555/556 style sounds, full of gnarly syncing stuff. Be nice to know if it can right down to the glitchy clicking rhythms of an APC. Pretty abrasive on its own, probably pretty useful for certain kinds of sound design. I think I'd like to try it through chipcrusher or something else doing little tiny/tinny speaker emulation for that proper authenticity. Or a massive f**k-off high-gain amp sim. Hmmm.
And its probably going to be very prevalent in new age meditation twonk, I think its got the potential to completely replace the shakuhachi in that market.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:And its probably going to be very prevalent in new age meditation twonk, I think its got the potential to completely replace the shakuhachi in that market.
+1

whyterabbyt wrote:And its probably going to be very prevalent in new age meditation twonk, I think its got the potential to completely replace the shakuhachi in that market.
Something needs to. :D

Anyone who's played around with oscillators in Max/MSP has made those kind of noises in their first few hours of dabbling. Very strange that they're trying to sell that sound :neutral:

Return to “Instruments”