BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

tatanka wrote:Sorry for an absolute noob question but just could not find it out with the manual or by trying.

How can I make blue arp play arp ("arp enabled") but only when there is a midi note/chord coming in ? It just wont stop playing in arp enabled mode, also midi in has long stopped.

My config is a standalone app (sundog)-loop midi-standalone app (freestyle) with blue arp as first input. I now it must be something easy I just have overseen but :oops:
On the left hand side there is a filter section, at the bottom of that is a check box for arp latch.
That box being checked will cause the behavior you are describing, though it might not be the only cause.
I would start there.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Hi, I'm trying this great arp!!
My problem is how to automate on/latch. I send CC 03/43 from external keyboard/surface control/iPad and nothing happens!!
Can someboby help?
Thanks.

Hello Mr Wolf :wink:

Is there a reason why the attached preset sounds different in version 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 ?
I get a retrigger of the 6th note in the 224 version and 223 does a long note, set the bpm to about 80 to really hear the difference.(and set the steps to 8 notes)
303LikeBassLine.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tatanka wrote:Sorry for an absolute noob question but just could not find it out with the manual or by trying.

How can I make blue arp play arp ("arp enabled") but only when there is a midi note/chord coming in ? It just wont stop playing in arp enabled mode, also midi in has long stopped.

My config is a standalone app (sundog)-loop midi-standalone app (freestyle) with blue arp as first input. I now it must be something easy I just have overseen but :oops:
Try setting
restart on = key
Arp will start when you press a key and stop when all keys are released.

Hi Oleg,
Try setting
restart on = key
that was the one knob I have to find, thanks a lot, and, frostline, thank you too of course "latch" have to be turned off.

Sadly I realized I just have another problem: I am not sure if it is in any environment, but I try to use blue arp in freestyle (kind of rack environment with standalone and vst version) and there when I save a preset and open it blue arp dont seem to remember the preset I have used. I think it might be a freestyle problem (will ask the develloper too) but maybe you have an idea about it.

I use blue arp 2.2.4 and the preset banks from opax (win 7, 64 bit, freestyle is 64 bit too). When I open the saved preset again the bank from opax is gone and I am again to preset 1 from the factory bank.

Yeager wrote:Hello Mr Wolf :wink:

Is there a reason why the attached preset sounds different in version 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 ?
I get a retrigger of the 6th note in the 224 version and 223 does a long note, set the bpm to about 80 to really hear the difference.(and set the steps to 8 notes)
303LikeBassLine.zip
I did a lot of code refactoring since then so I can't tell exactly what happened. But I found a bug in 'Tie' algorithm, it doest work if gate is < 50%. So try to set gate above 50% - tie steps should work. I can see also you set gate per step '4x' for step 6. IMHO no much sense to use it with 303-like glides, Tie step type should to the job, you can set several steps in a row to Tie and it should work also, creating a longer glide.
I fixed it in 2.2.5, but still can't release it, cause it's a lot of technical changes. I'm refactoring my code to be shared between software and hardware implementation.

graywolf2004 wrote:

303LikeBassLine.zip
I did a lot of code refactoring since then so I can't tell exactly what happened. But I found a bug in 'Tie' algorithm, it doest work if gate is < 50%. So try to set gate above 50% - tie steps should work. I can see also you set gate per step '4x' for step 6. IMHO no much sense to use it with 303-like glides, Tie step type should to the job, you can set several steps in a row to Tie and it should work also, creating a longer glide.
I fixed it in 2.2.5, but still can't release it, cause it's a lot of technical changes. I'm refactoring my code to be shared between software and hardware implementation.
Thanks for reacting, I already found out that the gate% changed the patch a lot.
What I mean is when I set the gate% lower, say 40% the sequence in 223 sounds WRONG like 224 but when I UP THE GATE% IN 224 i CAN NOT GET IT TO SOUND LIKE 223.
EDIT:(This part is not completely true) The patch is called 303likeBassline, but I play it with a polyphonic sound, so the 4x is used to sustain a note not to overlap it for a glide (also 8x in step 13).
And steps 9-16 do weird things when I set the synth to mono/legato mode, so it's not suitable for a mono/legato synthpatch. 8) (end EDIT)

To be on the safeside , the bug you found in the 'Tie' is in 224 not in 223 :scared:
What I mean is : 223 plays it RIGHT and 224 is WRONG.

Thank you for this great Arpeggiator :hug:

Hello Mr. Wolf,
I wonder if it a way of automatize arp enabled and arp latch from an external device.

Thanks,
MonoLight

Bluearp and Jack Transport.

Hi,
I use Bluearp x64 2.2.4 in my openSUSE Leap42.2 x64 linux setup using carla to host it. All good so far. But when I want to record something in a DAW with Bluearp playing a sequence, as soon as my Jack Transport starts rolling Bluearp stops dead.

It won't run again until Jack transport is stopped.

Any reason why this should happen?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi all.
Sorry for long silence, I was complelely into hardware prototyping, the creating demo video for BlueARP hardware.
I created a dedicated thread for BlueARP hardware prototype:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=480059

Hopefully in near future BlueARP will emerge as a serial hardware device.
Please share your opionions on it in the thread mentioned above.

Next weeks I'm planning to switch back to plugin version, to fix some stuff I postponed for several weeks and finally to post an update.

Yeager wrote:
graywolf2004 wrote:

303LikeBassLine.zip
Thanks for reacting, I already found out that the gate% changed the patch a lot.
What I mean is when I set the gate% lower, say 40% the sequence in 223 sounds WRONG like 224 but when I UP THE GATE% IN 224 i CAN NOT GET IT TO SOUND LIKE 223.
EDIT:(This part is not completely true) The patch is called 303likeBassline, but I play it with a polyphonic sound, so the 4x is used to sustain a note not to overlap it for a glide (also 8x in step 13).
And steps 9-16 do weird things when I set the synth to mono/legato mode, so it's not suitable for a mono/legato synthpatch. 8) (end EDIT)

To be on the safeside , the bug you found in the 'Tie' is in 224 not in 223 :scared:
What I mean is : 223 plays it RIGHT and 224 is WRONG.

Thank you for this great Arpeggiator :hug:
Sorry for delay, I kept in mind chacking this case but only now I spent an hour, testing your pattern in 223, 224 and my current version.
I found a flaw in 224. Before Tie note, the previous note shoud have length = 125% of the step (to overlap with the next one and create glide effect), which doesnt happen in 224, it's a bug.
Can you please check it this version works with your pattern?
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/temp/ ... 25_pre.zip
(just replace the dll for a test, but don't use it further yet, it's still not ready for release)
Yeager wrote:EDIT:(This part is not completely true) The patch is called 303likeBassline, but I play it with a polyphonic sound, so the 4x is used to sustain a note not to overlap it for a glide (also 8x in step 13).
Yes, GATE PER STEP is not only useless, it's harmful for mono/legato mode. I made it to do guitar-like stuff with long notes. Now I realize that probably it's a good idea to introduce mono/poly mode switch, so in mono mode all irrelevant features will be disabled. At least for hardware version it makes sense...

Hi Mr. Wolf :wink:

Just tested 225 and as far as I can tell it plays the pattern like 223 did, so you're on the right track :hyper:

Thanks for your time. :hug:

About the poly/mono stuff I was writing, it seams I was totally wrong, I did use a mono synth when I made that preset, but later when I tested the two BlueArp versions 223/224 I used a poly synth, that's why I edited the part and made sure that the nonsense I was writing was only partly true 8)
But if my mistake made you think about a mono/poly switch, then maybe this was not a waste of time :oops:
graywolf2004 wrote: Sorry for delay, I kept in mind chacking this case but only now I spent an hour, testing your pattern in 223, 224 and my current version.
I found a flaw in 224. Before Tie note, the previous note shoud have length = 125% of the step (to overlap with the next one and create glide effect), which doesnt happen in 224, it's a bug.
Can you please check it this version works with your pattern?
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/temp/ ... 25_pre.zip
(just replace the dll for a test, but don't use it further yet, it's still not ready for release)
Yeager wrote:EDIT:(This part is not completely true) The patch is called 303likeBassline, but I play it with a polyphonic sound, so the 4x is used to sustain a note not to overlap it for a glide (also 8x in step 13).
Yes, GATE PER STEP is not only useless, it's harmful for mono/legato mode. I made it to do guitar-like stuff with long notes. Now I realize that probably it's a good idea to introduce mono/poly mode switch, so in mono mode all irrelevant features will be disabled. At least for hardware version it makes sense...

Yeager wrote:Hi Mr. Wolf :wink:

Just tested 225 and as far as I can tell it plays the pattern like 223 did, so you're on the right track :hyper:

Thanks for your time. :hug:

About the poly/mono stuff I was writing, it seams I was totally wrong, I did use a mono synth when I made that preset, but later when I tested the two BlueArp versions 223/224 I used a poly synth, that's why I edited the part and made sure that the nonsense I was writing was only partly true 8)
But if my mistake made you think about a mono/poly switch, then maybe this was not a waste of time :oops:
Well, yeah, maybe using gate per step is not a bad idea with mono synth. I tried it with different glide time, and at some point it creates some wild gliding, not achievable with Tie steps. Especially if gate is relatively short - 50% or less, like in your case.

I deleted my original post, I've got it working in Sonar & Reaper. Great product!

For those interested: I've created a tutorial on an easy way how to record Blue Arp's MIDI output into a pianoroll in FL Studio.

You can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFv7wgBj1AY

If you like it, leave a comment :D

regards, Frank
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Return to “Instruments”