Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Interesting. This one in particular looks promising in terms of Vangelis sounds and the like:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-pr ... reface_cs/

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote:Even better if they release it as a VST (but hopefully not ridiculously expensive like Roland Aira).
Plugin versions would be more flexible. With the current hardware, judging from the big images, there are several selection switches, so one probably can't use several effects or LFO targets at the same time. With plugins one could do that and the associated controls would simply jump to the set positions as one cycles through the options.

Either way, I assume those hardware synths simply sound good and musical, and inspire people despite or because of the limitations :) And the build quality is probably better than with Roland gear.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
egbert101 wrote:Even better if they release it as a VST (but hopefully not ridiculously expensive like Roland Aira).
Plugin versions would be more flexible. With the current hardware, judging from the big images, there are several selection switches, so one probably can't use several effects or LFO targets at the same time. With plugins one could do that and the associated controls would simply jump to the set positions as one cycles through the options.

Either way, I assume those hardware synths simply sound good and musical, and inspire people despite or because of the limitations :) And the build quality is probably better than with Roland gear.
When I was shopping for a new hardware synth, I saw a few saying they are "analog modelled" and I just couldn't get past that. It's like...what is the point? I already have many plugins doing a great job as it is.

Anyway, I narrowed it down and bought the Sub Phatty. Couldn't be happier.

I suppose those devices are easier and hence cheaper to make than authentically analog synths, while they sound almost as good as the real in thing for most purposes.

egbert101 wrote:Yamaha did some reface synths recently (or toys)
It is not toys, just small form factor synths

Isn't this supposed to be about The Legend?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Examigan wrote:Isn't this supposed to be about The Legend?
Well, i talked abou creating a bunch of Synth Brass soudns for The Legend (and indeed already done a bunch of them) where i also mentioned that those are also inspired by certain famous synths for that kind of sounds and sarting from teh CS-80 people here used this to talk about other newer hardware synths.
Anyway whilel i could understand the talk about CS-80 in that respect the comparison with the Reface synths/keyboards is maybe a bit too far from that. The Reface CS does not even remotely seem to be a proper CS-80 emulation.

FWIW I had planned to post my Brass patches here when i am finished but like teh last time when i posted the patches here i fear that wil end up being really frustrating for me and that this thread will be derailed again.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Okay, yesterday, I sold a bunch of my MtG collection and have about 3 grand in my PayPal sitting around with nothing to do.

I'm looking for a synth to add to my collection in order to keep my patch making business going. Things are a little dry right now. I've got all the latest additions (Avenger, Rapid, Repro-1, etc.) except this one.

So why haven't I pulled the trigger on this?

Forget that I already own Arturia Mini V3, Monark and even Diva, which are all more than capable of doing Minimoog emulations, the main reason, from a purely business standpoint, why I haven't bought The Legend (Because it certainly sounds great and from a company that's made one of my favorite synths in Dune 2) is because, quite simply, I just don't feel there is any market for 3rd party sets for a Minimoog. My, and I admit, very biased opinion, is that people buy Minimoogs to get that classic bass sound, maybe do a Lucky Man solo and that's about it, with the included presets being more than enough for them with no need to buy 3rd party sounds. It's the main reason why, when I did my Arturia V Collection set that I concentrated on these synths...

Synclavier
Modular
Matrix 12
ARP 2600

I can see a demand for 3rd party sets for those synths. They're not easy to program and they certainly lend themselves to a wide variety of sounds, especially the first two. With a Minimoog, it's easy to program, there are a relatively limited number of things to do with it, programming wise, and like I said, it's really not used for a heck of a lot of different things.

So basically what I'm looking for is somebody to tell me I'm wrong. That this synth could be up their with synths like Diva and my Arturia Collection as far as sales and not just a total waste of my money. Because I don't need another Minimoog.

Is there a 3rd party market for this synth?

And please back up your answers with evidence (3rd party sets for other Minimoog synths)

Thanks.

I cant see a market for 3rd party banks.

Its a simple synth to program. If you cant program a minimoog, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Legend comes with a good set of factory sounds, both retro and modern. That should be good enough for even a noob to tweak to suit.

Save your money or spend it elsewhere. You want a synth that has a huge market? Go for Sylenth1. Yes, I know you don't find it good enough for the price, but you are asking for a synth that works in terms of market for your business.

AnX wrote:I cant see a market for 3rd party banks.

Its a simple synth to program. If you cant program a minimoog, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Legend comes with a good set of factory sounds, both retro and modern. That should be good enough for even a noob to tweak to suit.
Well, some said that there are only a few differnt Synth Brass sounds that could be done and currently with what i alraey got with The Legend i coukld not confirm this (and obviously this would be even less true with more complex syntsh then...).

The factory content of The Legend include more than 400 presets and i do see that it should be possible to get at least the same amount of new patches in the future or even more. AFAIK there were also a lot more patches submitted than those included in teh factory content. I got patches too that were submitted for the factory content but not included.

Many people that do not have a clue about sound design will also not get great results with a Minimoog even it is maybe more simple than many other synths. Besides that The Legend alraedy offers a few additional features like e.g. 12dB filter mode, polyphony, Unison, effects and a few more that already expand options compared to what was possible with a real Minimoog (and also compared to e.g. NI Monark). Personally i do not really care about for what some people think a Minimoog is intended to be used for. There is also a chance that if you are a good sound designer that you could create patches with The Legend that nobody did think about yet.

Besides that future updates should bring a few additional useful features.

Indpendent of the additional features The Legend IMO is the best Minimoog emulation and if you are interested in that specific synth this is currently the best option (also better than Diva, Monark or other choices). If you are searching for a more advancd synth that could still sound close to a Minimoog of course Diva will be one of your best choices (also due to the option to mix modules of different synths which is a main point of Diva).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

wagtunes wrote:Okay, yesterday, I sold a bunch of my MtG collection and have about 3 grand in my PayPal sitting around with nothing to do.

I'm looking for a synth to add to my collection in order to keep my patch making business going. Things are a little dry right now. I've got all the latest additions (Avenger, Rapid, Repro-1, etc.) except this one.

So why haven't I pulled the trigger on this?

Forget that I already own Arturia Mini V3, Monark and even Diva, which are all more than capable of doing Minimoog emulations, the main reason, from a purely business standpoint, why I haven't bought The Legend (Because it certainly sounds great and from a company that's made one of my favorite synths in Dune 2) is because, quite simply, I just don't feel there is any market for 3rd party sets for a Minimoog. My, and I admit, very biased opinion, is that people buy Minimoogs to get that classic bass sound, maybe do a Lucky Man solo and that's about it, with the included presets being more than enough for them with no need to buy 3rd party sounds. It's the main reason why, when I did my Arturia V Collection set that I concentrated on these synths...

Synclavier
Modular
Matrix 12
ARP 2600

I can see a demand for 3rd party sets for those synths. They're not easy to program and they certainly lend themselves to a wide variety of sounds, especially the first two. With a Minimoog, it's easy to program, there are a relatively limited number of things to do with it, programming wise, and like I said, it's really not used for a heck of a lot of different things.

So basically what I'm looking for is somebody to tell me I'm wrong. That this synth could be up their with synths like Diva and my Arturia Collection as far as sales and not just a total waste of my money. Because I don't need another Minimoog.

Is there a 3rd party market for this synth?

And please back up your answers with evidence (3rd party sets for other Minimoog synths)

Thanks.
The products of a few developers will always be successful. So, when a lot of people buy a synth, the number of those looking for commercial sound sets will increase. And what do you have to lose? Simply buy it and make some QUALITY sounds for it while it is still relatively new. And when you don't need it anymore, sell it. I don't know how much you charge for your sound sets, but you probably don't have to sell half a dozen in order to compensate for your loss when selling Legend again.

Return to “Instruments”